Sponsored

Unwrapped 2018 Jeep Wrangler JLU from production plant!

BDJeep1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Rubicon on order
Kind of strange that this pic leaks out and we still don't have a clear picture of the back end. And the wheel is turned just enough so we can't see the wheel. I am glad we get to see more but I wonder if this was a planned leak to generate some buzz....
Sponsored

Billy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1997 TJ, 2022 JTRD
Vehicle Showcase
MOmma's first day here, and she has 18 posts, 12 likes, and a tease cliff hanger! Welcome home MOmma!

NOW TELL US THE SECRET! :punch:

Jeep Momma

First Name
Tammy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
I already hate you. :cwl::cwl::cwl:
I hate you too. :D

Kind of strange that this pic leaks out and we still don't have a clear picture of the back end. And the wheel is turned just enough so we can't see the wheel. I am glad we get to see more but I wonder if this was a planned leak to generate some buzz....
Agree

MOmma's first day here, and she has 18 posts, 12 likes, and a tease cliff hanger! Welcome home MOmma!

NOW TELL US THE SECRET! :punch:
The secret... drum roll... is there is no

Secret. :P

I don't think anyways.

Last edited:

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR, 18JLUR, 08JKUR, 15 Renegade, 04 WJ
Vehicle Showcase
While speculating whether this one is a Sport, or not, you must remember that these are pre-production units. They aren't meant for sale and they won't be sold. That means they can go down the line and get different parts for different models and might be a Franken-Jeep. It just depends on what they are trying to do in preparation for real production. The expectation is that when the first for-sale production JL goes down the line, it needs to be as good as they can make it, with the highest quality they can achieve. They'll run a good number of these pre-production machines before they get there, and will have to validate handling and installation of parts. The more options there are, the more they have to validate. Each sub-assembly area might be working on something different, and thus you get the Franken-Jeep that will never be sold, but instead will be scrapped and recycled.

Sponsored

Billy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1997 TJ, 2022 JTRD
Vehicle Showcase
There are many pre-production units sacrificed to the Gods of certification, thru extreme lab testing and crash testing...

nowandthen

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 JKUR, 1989 Toyota standard cab pickup
Much more wheel clearance it looks like.

The hinge placed much lower which should hopefully fold much flatter (safer?) and more robust looking hood bumper too. Good stuff. I'm liking everything I see so far!
The wheel is turned to the right, thus the larger gap between tire and trialing edge of fender flare.

Billy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1997 TJ, 2022 JTRD
Vehicle Showcase

Aaron

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 C7 Corvette Stingray
While speculating whether this one is a Sport, or not, you must remember that these are pre-production units. They aren't meant for sale and they won't be sold. That means they can go down the line and get different parts for different models and might be a Franken-Jeep. It just depends on what they are trying to do in preparation for real production. The expectation is that when the first for-sale production JL goes down the line, it needs to be as good as they can make it, with the highest quality they can achieve. They'll run a good number of these pre-production machines before they get there, and will have to validate handling and installation of parts. The more options there are, the more they have to validate. Each sub-assembly area might be working on something different, and thus you get the Franken-Jeep that will never be sold, but instead will be scrapped and recycled.
That may be true, but I fail to see the logic of testing or creating a Franken-Jeep that has a configuration they have no intention of selling. Why would you care to assess a Rubicon with tires they have ZERO intentions of ever putting on the vehicle, or a Sport with a vented hood they have ZERO intentions of ever mounting on it ... especially less than 3 months from production?

Sponsored

The Great Grape Ape

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 JKU AspenX 5spd , 2015 JK Sport 6spd
It's no rumor, only thing that sucks is no 6 speed manual option for the Eco-diesel only 4 cyl gas and 3.6
6-spd manual seems limited to the Pentastar, so no 4-cyl either.

The Great Grape Ape

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
That may be true, but I fail to see the logic of testing or creating a Franken-Jeep that has a configuration they have no intention of selling. Why would you care to assess a Rubicon with tires they have ZERO intentions of ever putting on the vehicle, or a Sport with a vented hood they have ZERO intentions of ever mounting on it ... especially less than 3 months from production?
When rolling down the assembly line it doesn't need testing setup tires. They might re-use a pair for the limited side production they are currently doing and once completed then outfit it with whatever extras are being tested for a specific configuration after the fact. Especially if they have a bunch of mule options to chose from, all of which likely have less miles on their tyres than their lifespan.

It may be less likely, but it is possible, so I wouldn't take either as a guarantee of what is/isn't available on a Sport... other than one that was configured with uogrades.

At this point franken-cars make as much sense as rigidly conforming to stock, both have their advantages.

The Great Grape Ape

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
You realize that the pic was not a prepared pic, which is why it was off angle and kinda out of focus.
Looks like someone shot it while taking a private tour (I've done a few) and not trying not to be obvious while getting a photo.

As for generating buzz.. for whom?

Those already amped about it, who don't need anything more if anything confirmation of features they don't like will cool those people's anticipation, or is it for the people who didn't even know it existed, and will likely never see these photos... all months before anyone can order them? :facepalm:

Spank

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon, 2020 Dodge Challenger RT Scat Pack
Man, decisions decisions...

I want the diesel, but I also want a stick. Do we still not know which manual will be in the JL?

The Great Grape Ape

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Same Here, I went to a canadian dealer in Ontario last week, and they checked on their system, and they had no signs of Jl at all.
Why would they have anything official on it yet when it hasn't even been unveiled to the press, let alone publicly PR Launched?

Do you both walk into the Apple store and ask for the official iPhone literature and order details months before launch too? How effective has that been? :facepalm:
Sponsored