Sponsored

Unsure of where to start negotiating with my dealer

displayname

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
TBD
hell maybe even 9% below invoice,
9% below invoice at this moment in time would likely be considered one of the best deals in the country.
But it sounds like you did pretty well and it's great that they decided to work with you. It's been a wild year in the auto industry, so all in all, you did pretty well at the end of the day.
Sponsored

Trainman

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Jeep Willys 2dr
I have decided to wait to order a 2022 as I hope by the time that you can order 2022's things will hopefully straighten out somewhat. I have not gone to my dealer and talked with them on price as I feel that since I'm not ready and can't order a 2022 at this time that talking price really doesn't make sense to me. One thing I don't understand is why dealers would offer high discounts off of list price at this time as most dealers don't have any to sell off of their lots, or maybe two or three at best. My question why would they be giving money away, just to sell one and make less money on one of there allotment vehicles. After working for a large DFW auto dealer for some 35 years buyers do not always tell honestly what they paid for there new vehicle, many just want to make you feel you didn't get as good a deal as they did.

trainman

OP
OP
Birdbird26

Birdbird26

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler JL Sport Altitude
Well, not to bring up and older thread, but my wrangler is in kz status and expected at the dealer this week. The only problem being is that my wrangler was built with all terrain tires, but it's shipping with Bridgeston All-Seasons. When i ordered in June, the All-terrain tires weren't even an option, they were the default tire for the sport altitude. I talked to my dealer about this and they've said they are not putting tires on it, and are not willing to negotiate the vehicle down any for not having the correct tires. Furthermore, they've now said since the wrangler's on it's way they're no longer honoring any previous agreements we had based on price so i think i'll be walking away at this point and doing a dispute with my bank for the $1000 deposit. This dealer is the shittiest dealer i've ever come across in my life. What a waste of 6 weeks waiting, all for nothing.

rcadden

First Name
Ricky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Hydro Blue Sahara Altitude
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Marketing
Clubs

One thing I don't understand is why dealers would offer high discounts off of list price at this time as most dealers don't have any to sell off of their lots, or maybe two or three at best. My question why would they be giving money away, just to sell one and make less money on one of there allotment vehicles.
There are few reasons why dealers would offer high discounts off of custom orders, but the main reason is volume.

When I picked up my JLUSA at Gupton, they had just received 45 Wranglers/Gladiators a few days before. Every single one was a custom order that was basically already sold.

They also had me in and out on the road within ~40 minutes, so let's assume that on average, accounting for people more nit-picky than me, they do those in 1hr each.

So in ~1 standard work-week, they sold 45 vehicles. In a week. Vehicles that they didn't have to haggle over, pay fees while they sat on their lot, etc.

The cost for Gupton to do this is minimal, so it's easier for them to squeeze a little bit of profit out. But even if they sold them literally at cost, dealerships get bonuses and other perks for hitting various volume goals. Some of this is monetary - FCA pays them a lump sum for selling X number of vehicles. Some of it is perks - they're allowed to order more (which they can then take more custom orders, making it easier to hit the volume goals), they're probably allowed more "special unit" allotments (392s, etc), etc.

Based on their location and the surrounding areas, I'd assume they probably have a solid base of fleet/farm business, too. Maybe not on Wranglers but certainly on Rams, which are also high-profit for FCA.

TL;DR - there are more ways for a dealership to turn a profit on vehicle sales than just final sales price markup. Gupton, for example, has been in business for years - long enough to build up a strong reputation on this forum, at the least. They wouldn't be offering discounts that put their business at risk.

rcadden

First Name
Ricky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Hydro Blue Sahara Altitude
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Marketing
Clubs

Well, not to bring up and older thread, but my wrangler is in kz status and expected at the dealer this week. The only problem being is that my wrangler was built with all terrain tires, but it's shipping with Bridgeston All-Seasons. When i ordered in June, the All-terrain tires weren't even an option, they were the default tire for the sport altitude. I talked to my dealer about this and they've said they are not putting tires on it, and are not willing to negotiate the vehicle down any for not having the correct tires. Furthermore, they've now said since the wrangler's on it's way they're no longer honoring any previous agreements we had based on price so i think i'll be walking away at this point and doing a dispute with my bank for the $1000 deposit. This dealer is the shittiest dealer i've ever come across in my life. What a waste of 6 weeks waiting, all for nothing.
Damn, that sucks man. Sorry to see it turn out this way. Definitely not a dealer that I'd want to give even a penny. Super shitty.

Sponsored

displayname

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
TBD
the wrangler's on it's way they're no longer honoring any previous agreements we had based on price so i think i'll be walking away at this point and doing a dispute with my bank for the $1000 deposit.
Given that they are not fulfilling the order AND revised the pricing the pricing, I think they should be giving you that deposit without any grief. But if you've already asked for it, then take it to the bank. Good luck.
Sponsored