Sponsored

Unsure of where to start negotiating with my dealer

snazzysahara

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sahara Altitude
The specifics of financing were briefly discussed but it seemed my dealer wanted to worry more about getting the wrangler ordered, rather than wasting time talking so that way the wrangler could actually arrive in a decent time frame.

20210617_165749-1.jpg
This is super sketchy. I refuse to deal with dealers who canā€™t be transparent about costs up front. Ordering a Jeep only takes a few minutes, and if my dealer thought getting the cost details hammered out before ordering was a waste of timeā€”I wouldā€™ve walked on the spot. Donā€™t be surprised if they work you over once it gets here and use the sunk cost fallacy to their advantage to get you to take the Jeep home regardless of what they shove in the deal.
Sponsored

OP
OP
Birdbird26

Birdbird26

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler JL Sport Altitude
This is super sketchy. I refuse to deal with dealers who canā€™t be transparent about costs up front. Ordering a Jeep only takes a few minutes, and if my dealer thought getting the cost details hammered out before ordering was a waste of timeā€”I wouldā€™ve walked on the spot. Donā€™t be surprised if they work you over once it gets here and use the sunk cost fallacy to their advantage to get you to take the Jeep home regardless of what they shove in the deal.
I'm seeing the error of my ways now. It seems kinda sketchy you're right. I really don't want to back out of the deal because ordering one from another dealer will probably be 6-8 weeks now since so many orders have come in, but also i don't think my current dealer is willing to part with my $1000 down. I feel trapped now.

JamC12H23

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Diesel
My situation, I purchased a 2021 JLU Rubi Diesel 3 weeks ago, it was the only one on the lot, not an order. I sat down and tried to negotiate and was essentially told that I would be paying sticker because if I didnā€™t buy it someone else would for sticker. I was trading in a 2009 JKU Rubi and was offered such an extreme amount for my trade that I didnā€™t bat an eye at the sticker price.

snazzysahara

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sahara Altitude
I'm seeing the error of my ways now. It seems kinda sketchy you're right. I really don't want to back out of the deal because ordering one from another dealer will probably be 6-8 weeks now since so many orders have come in, but also i don't think my current dealer is willing to part with my $1000 down. I feel trapped now.
Yeah, the time to start negotiating is definitely before you order, but I probably wouldā€™ve landed myself in a similar situation had it not been for this forum. If you donā€™t want to cancel your order, the best thing to do as far as negotiating would be to sign up for tread lightly and get some quotes from other dealers to bring to your dealer as a starting point for negotiation. My Jeep was delivered to the dealership 16 days from order (ordered in early May) and I waited a couple of weeks to pick it up until my tread lightly kicked in. I got 8% under invoice and 2.7% at 72mos. Also, Carvana gave me more for my trade than any dealer could even get close to and the process was incredible painless.

OP
OP
Birdbird26

Birdbird26

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
My situation, I purchased a 2021 JLU Rubi Diesel 3 weeks ago, it was the only one on the lot, not an order. I sat down and tried to negotiate and was essentially told that I would be paying sticker because if I didnā€™t buy it someone else would for sticker. I was trading in a 2009 JKU Rubi and was offered such an extreme amount for my trade that I didnā€™t bat an eye at the sticker price.
Sound a lot like my situation, we're giving you the best deal trade in wise, so you should just order one with us since no one in the upstate ny area has the Wrangler you want. Damn i feel trapped now.

Sponsored

weeitsmikelee

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ā€˜21 Wrangler392; ā€˜20 F-Pace; '15 XL883N; '82 CX500
Occupation
Healthcare
Vehicle Showcase
I'm upstate so Goshen is only a 3 hour drive. I mean i'm locked into this dealer now with my "non-refundable" deposit. Or are you saying to at least get a OTD POC from them and use it at my current dealer for some leverage?
Iā€™d contact your credit card company about the deposit unless you paid debit or cash. I believe Suresky also honors tread lightly and discounts most wrangler models. Try giving them a call to see if they have your load out in stock.

You can also look into credit unions to have more financing options.

OP
OP
Birdbird26

Birdbird26

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Yeah, the time to start negotiating is definitely before you order, but I probably wouldā€™ve landed myself in a similar situation had it not been for this forum. If you donā€™t want to cancel your order, the best thing to do as far as negotiating would be to sign up for tread lightly and get some quotes from other dealers to bring to your dealer as a starting point for negotiation. My Jeep was delivered to the dealership 16 days from order (ordered in early May) and I waited a couple of weeks to pick it up until my tread lightly kicked in. I got 8% under invoice and 2.7% at 72mos. Also, Carvana gave me more for my trade than any dealer could even get close to and the process was incredible painless.
Wow that's a good deal in my opinion. I'll join tread lightly today, but as mentioned in another earlier response my dealership isn't listed on the FCA affiliate page. For what it's worth, it's James CDJR in Seneca Falls, NY. And that's crazy 16 days delivered to the dealer. That's amazing actually.

OP
OP
Birdbird26

Birdbird26

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Iā€™d contact your credit card company about the deposit unless you paid debit or cash. I believe Suresky also honors tread lightly and discounts most wrangler models. Try giving them a call to see if they have your load out in stock.

You can also look into credit unions to have more financing options.
Unfortunately i paid with my debit card and I don't see them just forking it over anytime soon.

Walker Texas Wrangler

First Name
Kelly
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.hamburgsolutions.com
Vehicle(s)
'21 JLU Rubicon, Previous: '99 TJ Sahara
Build Thread
Link
I don't want to pile on here, but since you asked for advice, I'm gonna level with you. I would never put $1000 down (non-refundable) for something I don't have the final price on. I would have the deal in writing before putting any money in. Also, you might look into changing how you finance. Personally, I wouldn't finance anything for more than 60 months tops. You are paying a higher rate for 72 months and you'll be upside down for longer. Since your credit is improving, I would wait a year or so and get some more cash in hand and equity into your current car before going down this route. I know it might be too late, but that's the truth.

OP
OP
Birdbird26

Birdbird26

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I don't want to pile on here, but since you asked for advice, I'm gonna level with you. I would never put $1000 down (non-refundable) for something I don't have the final price on. I would have the deal in writing before putting any money in. Also, you might look into changing how you finance. Personally, I wouldn't finance anything for more than 60 months tops. You are paying a higher rate for 72 months and you'll be upside down for longer. Since your credit is improving, I would wait a year or so and get some more cash in hand and equity into your current car before going down this route. I know it might be too late, but that's the truth.
No that's fine i totally respect your advice and opinion. I hate the current car i'm in and it's something i've regretted since buying it, so unfortunately even with these circumstances, I'm still going to get my wrangler now, but i'm definitely not thinking from this dealership. I may just call my bank and ask what I can do to get my deposit back.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Birdbird26

Birdbird26

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Get some quotes from Vroom and Carvana on your Kia; the market is absolutely crazy right now. You may not actually be upside down on it.
I got quotes from both, unfortunately both 20k, 3500 less than my current dealer is offering. Which sounds like where they're going to mess with the numbers with an inflated trade in price and tacking onto the MSRP making it seem like a great deal. I feel so stuck right now with the non-refundable deposit. Who knows maybe when my jeep comes in I can work something out but it seems like they're really going to try to run me into the ground and make me want to just take the wrangler home regardless of price. Idk.

The Last Cowboy

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Willys 2 door
Occupation
Wandering Vaquero
Summary of all the advice here.

Take your Kia to one of the major used car outlets, Carmax, Carvana etc, or use Vroom or GivemetheVIN.com.

Join Tread Lightly now. If the Jeep comes in 3 weeks from now, wait a week to pick it up.

After 66 months, interest rates increase on financing. Check with your bank or credit union. Get pre approved.

Make double sure that your down payment is credited when the deal is written.

If you canā€™t afford it, donā€™t buy it. You are throwing a lot of money away switching vehicles so quickly. At least a Wrangler isnā€™t going to kill you on resale like that Kia.

In the end youā€™re better off loosing your $1k than getting way in over your head. A little talk with the dealerā€™s GM my get you your money back. It could also open the door to negotiation if they think youā€™re getting cold feet, and you are.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Birdbird26

Birdbird26

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Summary of all the advice here.

Take you Kia to one of the major used car outlets, Carmax, Carvana etc, or use Vroom or GivemetheVIN.com.

Join Tread Lightly now. If the Jeep comes in 3 weeks from now, wait a week to pick it up.

After 66 months, interest rates increase on financing. Check with your bank or credit union. Get pre approved.

Make double sure that your down payment is credited when the deal is written.

If you canā€™t afford it, donā€™t buy it. You are throwing a lot of money away switching vehicles so quickly. At least a Wrangler isnā€™t going to kill you on resale like that Kia.

In the end youā€™re better off loosing your $1k than getting way in over your head. A little talk with the dealerā€™s GM my get you your money back. It could also open the door to negotiation if they think youā€™re getting cold feet, and you are.
I can definitely afford it, it's just a matter of being hosed at a dealer for an extra 100-200 a month because they want to play games instead of talking real numbers ya know?

The Last Cowboy

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Willys 2 door
Occupation
Wandering Vaquero
$100-200! Rates at my credit union are 1.95% right now. At 66 months thatā€™s $15.99 for every $1k financed. So just figure that $159 extra is $10k extra padded in, yes $10,000 extra you would be saddled with to pay off. Hell no!
Sponsored