Birdbird26

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler JL Sport Altitude
Good Morning everyone,

I just joined the jlwranglerforums as a new member a few days ago as i'm jumping into my first real wrangler purchase soon, and I needed some advice. Now i did search for the proper forum section to put this in, so if i miscategorized this I apologize. I say my first real wrangler purchase as I leased a JL in 2019 and had to get out of it due to some financial difficulties but i'm glad to say my finances have picked up greatly and I can now afford the JL of my dreams. So this new wrangler will be a buy with around 72 month financing. FWIW, i have used the build guides and priced out my Wrangler build to be around an invoice price of 44k i believe, but someone check my math if you'd like.

Now as many of you know, the inventory out there is slim picking. I also am a little bit upside down in my trade at the moment so finding a dealer in upstate ny within a 2 hour drive was a little hard to do, but i finally found one that would give me a very reasonable trade in quote for my vehicle and decided to place an order. The specifics of financing were briefly discussed but it seemed my dealer wanted to worry more about getting the wrangler ordered, rather than wasting time talking so that way the wrangler could actually arrive in a decent time frame. My order placed on 06/18/2021 currently has a D status and a vin number which is good from what I hear. We're hoping for a delivery date of around July 20th. I'm dreading the financing talk though as my credit and money situation has never been as good as it is now, so i've unfortunately been a sub-prime borrower most of my life and had to settle for msrp or over. This is where the fun stuff comes in and it's making my brain hurt.

So I will be honest i did scour the forums here and saw a lot of people even as late as last week still getting upwards of 8-10% below invoice pricing on their wranglers but i feel as though my dealer will not even want to budge a bit as they seemed like hard asses when it came to the ordering/locating process. They're already talked to me about not going with Chrysler Capital as their rates may be worse than Ally or somewhere else (i was with them on my last wrangler purchase and was only like a 610 fico score in 2019). I"ve got around a 760 now and saw this morning that Jeep is now offering up to 90 days no payments, and from forum members here, i've seen a $1000 coupon sent to certain people for requesting information on wranglers thru Jeep's own site so i was hoping to combine all of this into the best deal possible. Now using some other forum members advice from other threads, I did have Leon Travis at Criswell do a mock deal for me if i was ordering one through them, and he had me around 3% below invoice. I know my jeep will be in before the next 30 days, so Tread Lightly seems out of the question. So as you can see, i'm not sure where to begin the negotiating process and what my options or cards up my sleeve are as it seems the dealers have the upper hand in this since inventory is super low. Below, i will give you all the specifics of my deal so far (very loose until the Wrangler arrives according to my dealer). If any of you wonderful people on here can give me some tips and tricks to maybe start feeling confident in the negotiating process that would be so very much appreciated.

Deal details:
Trading in my 2021 Kia Seltos for 23,500 (already confirmed and locked in trade in price in lieu of wrangler arriving within a month or so)
I owe 27,000 on my Kia leaving around $3,500 in negative equity. I plan on putting $2,000 down, which $1000 already went towards the non refundable order for my wrangler which i'll be posting the details of right after this. So we're only rolling over around $1500.

My new wrangler order i'm attaching, along with my loose POC from the dealer for you all to take a look at. Ideally my payments i'd like to be around 6-650 per month. My dealer quoted me without running credit or anything around a 600 per month lease, 800 buy which is just way too high. Any and all advice is appreciated. You guys are awesome. Thank you!

Also, one last question. Is it worth my and another dealers time to get multiple quotes from the recommended dealers section here to use with my own dealer to negotiate my invoice price down a bit? I don't want to spam these other dealers with no intention no intention to buy but I feel if i had more real world examples my dealer would see he definitely has some work to do.

Jeep Wrangler JL Unsure of where to start negotiating with my dealer 20210617_165749-1
Sponsored

Attachments

Last edited:

Mike8194

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLU Willys
5-8% below invoice is best case scenario, and only with specific high volume dealers (Koons, Tri-City, Gupton, etc). Prices like that would be conjunction with an FCA affiliate control number and higher rate dealer financing (that can be refinanced after 3-6 months). If your work is not an affiliate, then you can join treadlightly.org for $100 and wait 30days. Tread lightly will get you 1% under invoice to start, but this is a tough market to haggle. Watch the dealer add-ons, finance rate, doc fees, etc.

I would also recommend getting a quote from Carvana and Vroom to sell your current vehicle. They are both paying well over market for used vehicles.

xtalfu

First Name
Xavier
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUS Sport
Hi. Have you considered joining Tread Lightly? One month after you join you can start claiming your “control number” and get your Jeep at invoice minus 1%. Which is probably 4 or 5% under MSRP for a Wrangler like yours.

OP
OP
Birdbird26

Birdbird26

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hey guys thanks for the quick responses. I was going to join Tread Lightly but as I was told my Wrangler would be in before the 30 days, it's most likely not worth attempting as i'll lose out on a quick $100. But i've also heard/seen that Tread Lightly is also doing things digitally now so maybe I can get my FCA control number sooner than the 30 days? What do you guys think?

JHTS

First Name
John & Holly
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gecko JLU Freedom, 2020 Punk'n JL Sport S
Occupation
John - US Army Ret/DA Civilian / Holly - Boss of husband
You have to be a member for 30 days. No problem for me as i ordered 7 weeks ago and still no build date.

Sponsored

xtalfu

First Name
Xavier
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUS Sport
Tread Lightly: You join online and that’s the date that counts. And if you ordered the Jeep mid June, you still have time. ( even if your dealer receives the car mid July, find an excuse to pick it up after you’re qualified for the Tread Lightly discount. In my experience all those affiliates programs (and Costco) are great, as they totally remove the haggling out of the purchase process.

ThirtyOne

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.jeepdoodles.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon, 2017 Chevy Tahoe
Build Thread
Link
Hey guys thanks for the quick responses. I was going to join Tread Lightly but as I was told my Wrangler would be in before the 30 days, it's most likely not worth attempting as i'll lose out on a quick $100. But i've also heard/seen that Tread Lightly is also doing things digitally now so maybe I can get my FCA control number sooner than the 30 days? What do you guys think?
Who told you you would get your Wrangler in less than 30 days?

Steve JLUR

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR, 2021 GC Summit
No, they will send you your acceptance electronically, but obtaining your two yearly control numbers is only available at the 30 day mark after joining. For the affiliate program to work your dealer has to agree to sell the vehicle below invoice. Having the purchase Price negotiated prior to ordering would have been best.

You may want to check what is available for discounts off invoice at other known dealers here on the forum. IDK if you have placed a deposit. In CA all deposits are fully refundable, whether the seller says it is or not. Maybe NY is different, so that may have an impact on your decision. If you do decide to try another dealer look to find out what your out-the-door cost is for comparison. A higher discount off invoice means nothing if your OTD cost is higher than a competing lower discount. You should also check third party financing before you commit to any dealer for purchase. This way at least you know your alternative(s).

These steps all take time and research. If your are impatient, or in a hurry, it will cost you money. That is how the dealers get you. The decisions are yours, nobody can force you into buying this, that, or the other without your consent, or in the case or a Wrangler, desire.

My long standing advise to anyone that has BOUGHT their non returnable item. Don’t start looking at what you paid in comparison to other possible deals AFTER you purchase. That is a recipe for much angst, and there is nothing to be done about it at that point.

OP
OP
Birdbird26

Birdbird26

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Who told you you would get your Wrangler in less than 30 days?
No one guaranteed my wrangler before 30 days, but my dealer said that since i had a vin number assigned and already was in D status as opposed to D-1 status or anything, it looks like 30 days or less. He also pulled up previous orders he put through in Late may that arrived within about 32-34 days.

OP
OP
Birdbird26

Birdbird26

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
No, they will send you your acceptance electronically, but obtaining your two yearly control numbers is only available at the 30 day mark after joining. For the affiliate program to work your dealer has to agree to sell the vehicle below invoice. Having the purchase Price negotiated prior to ordering would have been best.

You may want to check what is available for discounts off invoice at other known dealers here on the forum. IDK if you have placed a deposit. In CA all deposits are fully refundable, whether the seller says it is or not. Maybe NY is different, so that may have an impact on your decision. If you do decide to try another dealer look to find out what your out-the-door cost is for comparison. A higher discount off invoice means nothing if your OTD cost is higher than a competing lower discount. You should also check third party financing before you commit to any dealer for purchase. This way at least you know your alternative(s).

These steps all take time and research. If your are impatient, or in a hurry, it will cost you money. That is how the dealers get you. The decisions are yours, nobody can force you into buying this, that, or the other without you consent, or in the case or a Wrangler, desire.

My long standing advise to anyone that has BOUGHT their non returnable item. Don’t start looking at what you paid in comparison to other possible deals AFTER you purchase. That is a recipe for much angst, and there is nothing to be done about it at that point.
Hey Steve,
I appreciate the clarification on the Tread Lightly info. And also my dealer was adamant about the deposit being non-refundable and i've heard the same thing through other dealers i've spoken to. The dealer said not to worry about financing just yet as the wrangler arriving is more important making sure we have a vehicle to get you, than talking about financing or payments right now. I pushed the issue but they seemed more concerned with ordering. Speaking on the subject of getting multiple OTD prices, I guess I shouldn't worry so much about it and just rolling with it and get as many offers as possible? No one will match that trade in price i've been offered. No one. I called and went into around 12 dealers to get a trade in appraisal. Those sites like Carvana and Vroom offered 20k, which is around 1k less than dealers and 3500 less than my current offer. This is the nerve wracking stuff. Picking out a wrangler build is no sweat at all. These other steps afterwards are getting frustrating.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Birdbird26

Birdbird26

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
So I just checked the FCA Affiliate List and my dealer isn't on there anyways. Maybe a call to them will confirm whether they accept it or not is a good step..

ThirtyOne

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.jeepdoodles.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon, 2017 Chevy Tahoe
Build Thread
Link
No one guaranteed my wrangler before 30 days, but my dealer said that since i had a vin number assigned and already was in D status as opposed to D-1 status or anything, it looks like 30 days or less. He also pulled up previous orders he put through in Late may that arrived within about 32-34 days.
Oh sorry. I missed the part about you already ordering. You should negotiate pricing before you order. Like others said you can usually stall for about a week or two if you need to to get to 30 days. It may be worth the risk.

OP
OP
Birdbird26

Birdbird26

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Oh sorry. I missed the part about you already ordering. You should negotiate pricing before you order. Like others said you can usually stall for about a week or two if you need to to get to 30 days. It may be worth the risk.
That's a really solid idea seeing as though summer will be over by the time it arrives what's one more week haha. I know financing talks should have taken place beforehand but my dealer wanted to order since he had zero inventory but had that oh so nice trade in bump. Guess we'll see how it all shakes out.

weeitsmikelee

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘21 Wrangler392; ‘20 F-Pace; '15 XL883N; '82 CX500
Occupation
Healthcare
Vehicle Showcase
Try Suresky in Goshen, NY and speak with Tony Fumanti. I went with them after forum recommendations and my recent order ended up below invoice out the door.

Night and day difference between them and Bayside CJDR for me. Plus it’s a nice drive through the palisades.

OP
OP
Birdbird26

Birdbird26

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Try Suresky in Goshen, NY and speak with Tony Fumanti. I went with them after forum recommendations and my recent order ended up below invoice out the door.

Night and day difference between them and Bayside CJDR for me. Plus it’s a nice drive through the palisades.
I'm upstate so Goshen is only a 3 hour drive. I mean i'm locked into this dealer now with my "non-refundable" deposit. Or are you saying to at least get a OTD POC from them and use it at my current dealer for some leverage?
Sponsored