Unsure if 4WD is working.

roaniecowpony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 14 GMC 1500 CC All TERRAIN
Occupation
Retired Engineer
The only time I've ever seen a ring and pinion stripped was in a drag car with lots of horsepower and violent starts. They make lots of noise when a ring and/or pinion is stripped. There is no mistaking it.

I'm guessing something else is going on. FAD is a place to look.
Sponsored

Ruby Clatterbox

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 2 dr. Willy's
If the damage was caused by water intrusion, I would think it would have made a hell of a noise for a while before it stripped the splines in a spider gear (assuming). Something doesn't sound right here.

Hound Dog

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Rubicon, 2002 TJ Rustomatic
The OP said he assumed the "left side axle gear" is a ring and pinion. The dealer did not say ring and pinion. There is only one ring gear and one pinion gear in an axle assembly. So it was not that.

If the dealer said it was something they will fix under warranty, ignore the banter here, quit guessing at tests and just let them fix it.

Since you don't know what it is supposed to feel like turning in 4 like folks are telling you. When you get it back and you are still concerned that the front axel is not pulling, put the rear up on a stack of small 2x4 blocks, get in and see if you can drive forward off the blocks. Your front axel will pull and the blocks will just tip over. I have certainly done much more radical things while out 4 wheeling.

Heck, I have dropped a rear u joint on the road and just taken off the rear shaft to get home in 4x4. Really it was front wheel drive at that point.

Oldbear

First Name
Dwayne
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 Ram 1500 Ecodiesel; 20 JL Sport S 2 door
Yeah I was.
Glad theyā€™re taking care of it for you, but how much water were youi to get the diff full? Iā€™ve gone through some decent creeks, and we are ā€œsupposedā€ to be good to what, 30ā€ of water? Inquiring minds want to knowšŸ˜

Ruby Clatterbox

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 2 dr. Willy's
Maybe a breather tube came off? They still have those, right?

Sponsored

Bikemobile

First Name
Zak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL
Vehicle Showcase
If your diff was "full of water" you would need gears and bearings replaced if you drove on it for more than a few miles. FYI,
I would be highly suspect of just needing a side gear in the differential.

Deviant

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Rubicon
Anyone have advice on what to do as obviously this isnt covered under warranty! :CWL:
I mean, that should absolutely be covered unless you opened up the diff.

OP
OP
migyb

migyb

First Name
Miguel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Willys
Glad theyā€™re taking care of it for you, but how much water were youi to get the diff full? Iā€™ve gone through some decent creeks, and we are ā€œsupposedā€ to be good to what, 30ā€ of water? Inquiring minds want to knowšŸ˜
[/QUOTE

I got into a bit of a pickle with my Jeep. Water was inside up to chest level, passenger side was up higher so Iā€™m glad water didnā€™t get into the air intake..
I was stuck in the water for awhile until help came, so I am guessing water eventually made it in the diff.

Not quite sure what happened inside the front diff, Iā€™ll try and pull up the work order done by the dealership for details.

Probably worth getting those extended breather tubes

OP
OP
migyb

migyb

First Name
Miguel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Willys
If the damage was caused by water intrusion, I would think it would have made a hell of a noise for a while before it stripped the splines in a spider gear (assuming). Something doesn't sound right here.
I got into an accident out wheeling in the mud flats, where I was stuck in a big puddle for awhile.

Was flat towed back out (vehicle wouldnā€™t start) through some serious terrain during the hours of like 1am-3am. Possibly some shit went on in the diff during the recovery. I was mainly concerned on getting to a safer place rather than listening to what was going on in the diff :CWL:

so who knows what happened! Iā€™m just thankful that my Jeep is still functioning to this day after the hell of a night it was put through

OP
OP
migyb

migyb

First Name
Miguel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Willys

I got into a bit of a pickle with my Jeep. Water was inside up to chest level, passenger side was up higher so Iā€™m glad water didnā€™t get into the air intake..
I was stuck in the water for awhile until help came, so I am guessing water eventually made it in the diff.

Not quite sure what happened inside the front diff, Iā€™ll try and pull up the work order done by the dealership for details.

Sponsored

OP
OP
migyb

migyb

First Name
Miguel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Willys
I mean, that should absolutely be covered unless you opened up the diff.
Man, the first dealership I went to told me theyā€™re not covering it since itā€™s because I ā€œoff-roadedā€ it and therefore itā€™s not covered under warranty. What a joke

OP
OP
migyb

migyb

First Name
Miguel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Willys
Sorry that I didnā€™t provide an earlier update but itā€™s been around 4 months now since theyā€™ve worked on my front diff.

Everything is back to normal, and my 4hi/4lo is functioning once again.

Latest trip: a bit of snow wheeling in BC
Jeep Wrangler JL Unsure if 4WD is working. 18AEE65C-B0A4-4954-A752-A2F898BD6DCB

For reference, hereā€™s a pic of how deep I was in the water, was probably in there for at least a 15-30 minutes.

Picture was taken maybe around 2pm during the day..

Didnā€™t get out of the mud flats until 3 am. Towed back to my home at 4 am.
Took a month to make sure everything was dry and clean

Jeep Wrangler JL Unsure if 4WD is working. 7FFE15CC-D8F5-4EBE-A163-26958C838E02

Deviant

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Rubicon
Man, the first dealership I went to told me theyā€™re not covering it since itā€™s because I ā€œoff-roadedā€ it and therefore itā€™s not covered under warranty. What a joke
What BS, the thing is marketed for off-road use.

5foot19

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR

Did you change your diff fluid when that happened? after getting stuck in water up to your chest? your rear diff may be cooked if not :(

am1978

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara Bright White, 2018 JLU Sahara HellaYella
Occupation
ā€˜Merica
Sorry that I didnā€™t provide an earlier update but itā€™s been around 4 months now since theyā€™ve worked on my front diff.

Everything is back to normal, and my 4hi/4lo is functioning once again.

Latest trip: a bit of snow wheeling in BC

For reference, hereā€™s a pic of how deep I was in the water, was probably in there for at least a 15-30 minutes.

Picture was taken maybe around 2pm during the day..

Didnā€™t get out of the mud flats until 3 am. Towed back to my home at 4 am.
Took a month to make sure everything was dry and clean

Dude.
Sponsored