jessedacri

First Name
Jesse
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bright White 2dr JL Rubicon 3.6
4lo:

I would try and break the tires loose without holding the brake, but even still I’m pretty sure the behavior looks like 2wd in all the videos. There’s no center diff in these vehicles unless you get selec trac so the front axle should be essentially locked to the rear.

With no brake, standing on the throttle in 2H and standing on the throttle in 4H should feel totally different on dirt/gravel.
Sponsored

OP
OP
migyb

migyb

First Name
Miguel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Willys
I may have missed this but when you’re in 4hi and making a tight turn do you feel binding while on dry pavement ? Shouldnt that be a good indicator that everything’s engaged?
I sometimes here a clicking, not sure if this is the same thing

KrzybonesJLU

First Name
Vince
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU
I believe that should be a good indication.. it’s also from what I read It’s not good to bind as it can lead damages so you probably should t be doing these tests in dry pavement. Personally I think the safest way to test this if just take the jeep off-roading and see if the is running correctly.

bigbaozi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler Unlimited Sport S
Man, be nice to your transfer case. I don't think holding the brakes and trying to do burnouts is helping matters. You really need to do your testing on loose pavement somewhere. I don't know what is close by, beach/dirt road/loose gravel parking lot.

You don't have to get crazy about it, if you try to make a tight turn with 4WD going it won't let you. You can feel the driveline fighting you. Turn 2WD back on, night / day.

What did the dealer say? Did you get them to walk you through it?

Sponsored

AlamedaJeep

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JL Unlimited Sport S
Same advice as above. Find a gravel or dirt surface. Make a tight turn or u-turn in 2WD. Then do the same turn in 4H and you will feel the difference (if it's working). It will feel like the front wheels are grabbing or lurching. 4L will give you the same effect, plus the engine revs will be impossible to miss.

I took a previous Jeep in that would not go into 4WD to the dealer. They confirmed it would not go into 4WD by driving it in a circle in the parking lot.

entropy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler Sport S JL 2-D
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Professional dancer/male stripper
On dry pavement in 4LO it should feel crazy. Almost as if the jeep can't turn. The difference would be so noticeable you'll know.

OP
OP
migyb

migyb

First Name
Miguel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Willys
On dry pavement in 4LO it should feel crazy. Almost as if the jeep can't turn. The difference would be so noticeable you'll know.
It is not like this for me. The engine is obviously acting different, but turning it isnt that much different from 2hi. There is a difference there, I feel it stiffen up in 4hi/4lo. but not super significant

GtX

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR 3.0D
Occupation
Working for the man.
Vehicle Showcase
Is this a sport with open differentials?

Sponsored

OP
OP
migyb

migyb

First Name
Miguel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Willys
update from the dealership: So apparently they opened the front diff which was full of water. As a result, I stripped the "LEFT AXLE SIDE GEAR" which I believe is the ring&pinion in the front differential. I guess this is the opportune time to upgrade into 4.88 gearing for my sport?

Anyone have advice on what to do as obviously this isnt covered under warranty! :CWL:

jessedacri

First Name
Jesse
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bright White 2dr JL Rubicon 3.6
update from the dealership: So apparently they opened the front diff which was full of water. As a result, I stripped the "LEFT AXLE SIDE GEAR" which I believe is the ring&pinion in the front differential. I guess this is the opportune time to upgrade into 4.88 gearing for my sport?

Anyone have advice on what to do as obviously this isnt covered under warranty! :CWL:

Did they quote you a replacement cost? I think they replace whole axles when there's ring/pinion issues so I would imagine taking your Jeep to a reputable 4x4 shop and regearing both front and rear axles will be both a lot cheaper and an upgrade . If there really was a lot of water in there though you may be looking at bearings and carriers too. And the front axle disconnect unit should be looked at too.

Do you remember the incident that may have caused this, assuming it was already busted for that water crossing you posted?

OP
OP
migyb

migyb

First Name
Miguel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Willys
Did they quote you a replacement cost? I think they replace whole axles when there's ring/pinion issues so I would imagine taking your Jeep to a reputable 4x4 shop and regearing both front and rear axles will be both a lot cheaper and an upgrade . If there really was a lot of water in there though you may be looking at bearings and carriers too. And the front axle disconnect unit should be looked at too.

Do you remember the incident that may have caused this, assuming it was already busted for that water crossing you posted?
The dealership I went to ended up blaming it on the front diff seals. So it was covered by warranty. They just ordered ring/pinon set and installed it in. Was going towards the regear route, but I mean if theyre going to fix it without me spending anything - why not?