Unsure if 4WD is working.

migyb

First Name
Miguel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Willys
Got stuck the other day on shallow river crossing. 4wd was engaged before the crossing, and was engaged properly. Video of the jeep showed only my rear wheels were spinning. Had to winch myself out which was embarrassing (oh well). Unsure if my 4hi/4lo works. I have the command-trac system. I put the jeep on 4 jack stands to see if I would get power in all 4 wheels but to no avail (this was on 4hi and 4lo). Then maybe I thought it couldnt detect any slipping so it wouldnt spin? But I thought 4wd is 4wd? I then took the front jack stands out, but with the rear wheels off the ground in 4wd, still no power to the front.

Is there any sure way to find out that my 4hi/4low is working?

Going to the dealership next week to address this issue, as well as the loose steering problem.

Any info/help would be greatly appreciated!
Sponsored

fat_head

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU
It's definitly not working if you put it in 4wd on jackstands and the front wheels don't turn. Does it indicate 4wd on the dash when in 4wd?

DarkAardvark

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2000 TJ, 2021 JLR
Are you sure it's in 4wd? From what I've read, it can be really stiff and difficult to engage. Maybe it just wasn't fully engaged? Not sure

OP
OP
migyb

migyb

First Name
Miguel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Willys
It's definitly not working if you put it in 4wd on jackstands and the front wheels don't turn. Does it indicate 4wd on the dash when in 4wd?
Yes it does. Took videos to show dealership if they try and say there's nothing wrong.

Sponsored

bigbaozi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler Unlimited Sport S
Maybe the axle shafts aren't connecting on the front. Is the drive shaft going to the front spinning when the transfer case is engaged?

This is the FAD system, there's some info about it on the site. Supposedly the passenger side should always be engaged.

OP
OP
migyb

migyb

First Name
Miguel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Willys
Are you sure it's in 4wd? From what I've read, it can be really stiff and difficult to engage. Maybe it just wasn't fully engaged? Not sure
Yeah I had that "stiff" feeling when I first got the Jeep.. But after some time, it got a bit easier to engage. Less than 2-3 mph/standstill -> neutral, neutral in t case -> shift to 4lo ->it "clunks", indicator says im in 4lo and stays that way (it used to bump me out of it) -> shift to drive. I feel like I am doing it right?

My local JL club says there is definitely something wrong if there is no power going to the front while on jack stands. Suggested that there may be something wrong with the FAD.

IDK?

OP
OP
migyb

migyb

First Name
Miguel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Willys
Maybe the axle shafts aren't connecting on the front. Is the drive shaft going to the front spinning when the transfer case is engaged?

I may have to check this again. Ill try and jack it up and see

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator, 2018 Fiat 124 Spider
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
Oh, right. Forgot all about the FAD...

If is any consolation, haven’t really seen any posts of people having problems with the FAD.

bigbaozi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Yeah I had that "stiff" feeling when I first got the Jeep.. But after some time, it got a bit easier to engage. Less than 2-3 mph/standstill -> neutral, neutral in t case -> shift to 4lo ->it "clunks", indicator says im in 4lo and stays that way (it used to bump me out of it) -> shift to drive. I feel like I am doing it right?

My local JL club says there is definitely something wrong if there is no power going to the front while on jack stands. Suggested that there may be something wrong with the FAD.

IDK?
Are you trying to shift straight into low range?

Sponsored

Myron

First Name
Myron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler, 1964 Land Rover SIIA 88
I wonder if it's a problem with one of the front hubs? With auto locking hubs on modern 4WD's it's impossible to visually confirm whether or not they are engaged.

Can't wait to hear what your dealer says.

eck

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU MOAB HellaYella

bigbaozi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
With auto locking hubs on modern 4WD's it's impossible to visually confirm whether or not they are engaged.

Can't wait to hear what your dealer says.
JL doesn't have auto locking hubs, we have FAD. Which kind of sucks, because we have something else to break. The JK was just permanently locked, but turning the gears wastes some gas and adds wear/tear on the front end. So, we ended up with FAD.

Note that FAD has nothing to do with the locking diffs.

OP
OP
migyb

migyb

First Name
Miguel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Willys
OP
OP
migyb

migyb

First Name
Miguel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Willys
This sounds somewhat similar to what happened to me here:

https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/forum/threads/service-4wd-indicator-during-brief-beach-trip.38474/

Although in my case it threw codes and the dash lit up like a Christmas tree.

But same behavior, I had it in 4H and there was no power on the front axle.
For your situation, I am guessing it fixed itself?

When I had it on jack stands, there was a time where the front wheels spun. out of hundreds of times trying to shift into 4hi/4lo, it worked once. Not sure what I did to trigger that, or what I am doing wrong for it not to engage...

I feel maybe it just didnt fully engage when you were on the sand. And maybe my 4wd didnt fully engage when I was in the river crossing.

Still doesnt explain why there is no power to the front wheels EACH TIME I shift into 4WD (on jack stands)
Sponsored