Sponsored

Unseated Upper Control Arm Bushing

fdFifty

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
Was under the Jeep today checking things over and came across this. Doesn’t look right to me. Can anyone running stock upper control arms see if their bushing is like this on the axle housing side? I’d think it needs to be pressed all the way up to the flange but could be wrong.

F5E81B2D-5D85-4206-A4A6-36AB50C490DA.jpeg
Sponsored

EngenZerO

First Name
Ozzie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler Moab
Mine looks like that but I got a chirp coming from that side of the Jeep. Do you have any sounds when hitting bumps and such?

Jeep Wrangler JL Unseated Upper Control Arm Bushing 5BA6A63C-6705-4D79-B138-DC0DDC60F95A

Roky

First Name
Roky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Was under the Jeep today checking things over and came across this. Doesn’t look right to me. Can anyone running stock upper control arms see if their bushing is like this on the axle housing side? I’d think it needs to be pressed all the way up to the flange but could be wrong.

F5E81B2D-5D85-4206-A4A6-36AB50C490DA.jpeg
For whatever reason, that’s how they are.

OP
OP
fdFifty

fdFifty

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
Mine looks like that but I got a chirp coming from that side of the Jeep. Do you have any sounds when hitting bumps and such?
Yeah I'm chasing what I'm now thinking is a drivetrain knock and came across this. Did a google image search deep dive and saw that all the bushings appear to be this way. Kind of a crazy design because it doesn't look like it would allow much flexibility with that flange pressed up against the control arm.

Sponsored

Moregone

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
Yeah I'm chasing what I'm now thinking is a drivetrain knock and came across this. Did a google image search deep dive and saw that all the bushings appear to be this way. Kind of a crazy design because it doesn't look like it would allow much flexibility with that flange pressed up against the control arm.
Is there any silver or shiny metal in the area? Does the other side appear the same?

It looks normalish to me. I did have an issue on my old WJ when pressing in the bushing, it got tweaked a little and then straightened out. Well over time it came loose and I found it by spotting the shiny metal from it rubbing. Took it to a local offroad shop and they welded in place for me.

Ridgeline

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Nacho Mojave
Just wanted to log in and thank OP and all responders for this thread. I'm chasing down a knock in my suspension and saw the exact same thing. Spent the last two days thinking that was the problem. Glad to know this is normal, but now need to keep searching.... :like:

MOJAVEC22

First Name
Miguel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Mojave, 1991 Toyota Hilux
Occupation
Electrician

Jeep Wrangler JL Unseated Upper Control Arm Bushing IMG_6084
Any idea what the chirp was? I got a squeak/creak/chirp over tiny bumps on my gladiator after i did an AEV 2" spacer lift. Also coming from the front driver side. Funny cuz it doesnt happen over big bumps or at higher speeds. Mainly slower smaller bumps/cracks in the road. Ive heard it could be the fox shocks but i hoped it was the spring on the poly spacer. sprayed silicone spray and not much better.

Sponsored

maaark

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sport S
Occupation
Electrical Engineer
Vehicle Showcase
Any idea what the chirp was? I got a squeak/creak/chirp over tiny bumps on my gladiator after i did an AEV 2" spacer lift. Also coming from the front driver side. Funny cuz it doesnt happen over big bumps or at higher speeds. Mainly slower smaller bumps/cracks in the road. Ive heard it could be the fox shocks but i hoped it was the spring on the poly spacer. sprayed silicone spray and not much better.
Did you figure out what this was? I am currently having this issue and it's not cool.

Hercules

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Ram 2500 Longhorn, 2022 JLURD
I just found this old thread- have the same odd busing look when I was under my jeep today. I had a quick panic moment, then came in here. From what I hear this is a normal look. I shook everything down there, all bolts, arms, and links are tight, nothing loose. I have Clayton Giro joints for my control arms, everything has been great thus far.

MOJAVEC22

First Name
Miguel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Mojave, 1991 Toyota Hilux
Occupation
Electrician
Did you figure out what this was? I am currently having this issue and it's not cool.
Sorry for the super late reply, just checking this forum as, I’m always on the gladiator forum. It still chirps here and there. I believe its either of these two things. 1. The fox shock itself, it’s not leaking and seems fine, but I never pulled it because it’s so minimal I just ignored it after a while. Now I’m leaning towards culprit 2. Slanted springs. I didn’t recenter the axle with an adjustable track bar after the 2” aev lift. Wasn’t a must with only 2 inches. So you can visually see the springs pulling towards the passenger side on the bottom. Maybe that little bit of sideways pressure. It’s been riding great otherwise.
Sponsored