RobNY

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
05 TJ
From the guys at Truck Yeah!

They posted this unscientific look comparing the shape of the upcoming JL Wrangler vs the current JK, based off the JLU prototype pics admin posted yesterday.

We know the 2018 Jeep Wrangler (JL) will be sleeker than the current (JK) vehicle to pick up some fuel economy, but a solid spy shot of the prototype in profile has helped us extrapolate just about how dramatic the change will be.

But times are changing, fuel economy demands are getting tighter, and the JK Jeep has been around for almost a decade. From what we can see in the images of the disguised prototype, the windshield rake appears to be the primary visual differentiation between the current Wrangler and the next one.

As for a more specific analysis, I offer this primitive comparative graphic.

Keep in mind that the prototype picture I’m pulling that rake angle from is not the final production design, and it’s wearing a lot of cover-up. And I’m not actual sure if this method of overlaying a protractor is “accurate,” but I do think this is the best conceptualization of the next Wrangler’s silhouette we have so far.
2018-wrangler.jpg

2018wranglercomparison.jpg
Sponsored

Bill P

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler Unlimited
The change will be subtle to most, but even a slight change like that is substantial for the Wrangler crowd since we're talking about an overall design that hasn't changed much in decades, and a current JK body that's been the same for a decade. Glad the change in angle isn't too substantial. The Wrangler should have a boxy upright look and not morph into the sleeker looking Jeeps that soccer moms and dads like to run errands in.

Joe Camel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Charger, Planning for JLU
Definitely not very scientific lol. Even a slight difference in angle of the photo taken will throw that measurement off. I don't mind the more raked windshield. I actually think that might look cool. But an angled front grille I'm not so sure bout. In my mind's eye it won't look good and the render on the homepage with the angled grille also looks weird to me.

N.Stark

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
04 TJ
The change will be subtle to most, but even a slight change like that is substantial for the Wrangler crowd since we're talking about an overall design that hasn't changed much in decades, and a current JK body that's been the same for a decade. Glad the change in angle isn't too substantial. The Wrangler should have a boxy upright look and not morph into the sleeker looking Jeeps that soccer moms and dads like to run errands in.
There's always going to be those who complain about any change made during a new model changeover. Especially with a rabid bunch like us Wrangler owners. :) Even a slight change in rake will not be well received by some. Most of them simply want to justify owning an older model.

Judging by the spy pics and posted details on the JL/JLU so far, seems they know to keep the formula that's made the Wrangler sell over 20k units a month. Changing some styling things here and there in order to help sell a new generation model doesn't bother me as long as the things that make a Jeep a Jeep stay.

Moparrr

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
TJ, Cherokee
Something tells me if it weren't for even stricter EPA standards FCA wouldn't even redesign the Wrangler with how strong sales are still. All of the changes that are rumored seem like a pure MPG play. Turbo four, more aerodynamic, changes in the roof to lessen overall weight. Sure it'll help sales (new engines and design tend to) but why risk ruining a good formula unless your hand is forced by either competition or regulations.

rockyg05

First Name
Rocky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wragler
I have been going through hell trying to get a (laser) cut key for my 2018 wrangler jl in chicago. I wrote to shearer at the advice I got here, and they wanted MORE than was said here, and they NEVER wrote me back when I complained. pro-keys said they would come and NEVER showed up. same thing with procarkeys. why is it such a problem getting a copy of my key made in Chicago?
Sponsored