Unplugging Datalink Antennas

benb

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport-S-KIA; 2020 JLU Rubicon
Listening to this security breach got me wanting to disable the 4G, XM and Onstar antennas from my Jeep:

I do not use XM or onstar. I use my phone to navigate so I really don't think I need my Jeep connected back to the mothership. Would unplugging these antennas result in anything negative?

My next challenge would be actually finding and unplugging the antennas. I did find this schematic (although I think the labeling maybe wrong for the antennas)
https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/JL-Wiring-Diagrams/AUDIO-SYSTEM---PREMIUM.pdf
Sponsored

RubiconOO7

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 JLURXR, 2015 BMW X5M
You'll obviously lose your connectivity to things like the Jeep app etc. but if that isn't a concern there shouldn't be any negative issues, meaning I still see your Jeep running and driving fine.

Seeing more threads like this these days, I guess it's the day and age we are in and with what goes on in the World these days I can't say as I blame folks, after all, things like this are a personal decision which is yours alone to make.

Deleted member 59498

What are they going to hack on the Uconnect? Maybe they can get mine to load off road pages quicker while they are hacking at it!

Sponsored

OP
OP
benb

benb

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport-S-KIA; 2020 JLU Rubicon
Thanks, but aluminum foil only blocks lower frequencies. The 4G would get right past it.

Seriously though, take your trolling somewhere else please.

AlgUSF

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUS, 2014 Tundra, 2013 Odyssey, 2002 Civic
I bought the Sport just because it isn't connected to anything other than my phone via. bluetooth. Companies monetize every little aspect of their consumer, which is unfortunate. The company i work for monetizes their employee records for direct marketers. Every utility I have sells their customer lists to sell silly stuff like gas line or electrical line service plans. The reason why Tesla is "worth" so much is because of the data they collect on the vehicle owners, folks thought they'd be the new Apple.

To each their own, but I try to keep as much privacy as possible in this connected world. I have very few apps on my phone and I'm always looking to have less. :)

Spank

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon, 2020 Dodge Challenger RT Scat Pack
Listening to this security breach got me wanting to disable the 4G, XM and Onstar antennas from my Jeep:

I do not use XM or onstar. I use my phone to navigate so I really don't think I need my Jeep connected back to the mothership. Would unplugging these antennas result in anything negative?

My next challenge would be actually finding and unplugging the antennas. I did find this schematic (although I think the labeling maybe wrong for the antennas)
https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/JL-Wiring-Diagrams/AUDIO-SYSTEM---PREMIUM.pdf
The key would be to disable the aircard in the UConnect radio itself. However, doing so will also prevent the GPS antenna from sending coordinates to the OEM navigation software, so if you use that, it won't work anymore.

If you can find a way to disable the 4G cell connection, but somehow keep the aircard actually powered and running, the GPS antenna may still work. The aircard is located inside the radio and has a ribbon cable as well as three ipex connectors. You'll have to play around with those to see what disables what.

jromanmd

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
I agree its the Day and age we now live in. If someone wants to hack your car bad enough, short of unplugging all connected services, they will get in.

Hell, there are reports of people cloning the NFC remotes now to get access. Do we go back to a regular key and manual lock / unlock?

Rustynail11

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Wrangler JLU Rubicon
Thanks, but aluminum foil only blocks lower frequencies. The 4G would get right past it.

Seriously though, take your trolling somewhere else please.
Lead hard hat may be better than tinfoil

M_Pluto

First Name
Jayne Cobb
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'23 Earl JLUR w/MT
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Cultural Heritage Researcher