Sponsored

Unofficial 2 door owners section...until the admins create one for us ...hint hint ...wink wink

AnnDee4444

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JLR 2.0
I've mostly owned manuals over the years because old 3 and 4 speeds autos where boring. I'm very glad I kept an open mind about the JL 8 speed auto. option with its manual mode. Having it both ways is an eye opener and a game changer IMO. On a recent 3,500 mile road trip, I found the auto very complete. 5th and 6th gears had lots of power and 7th and 8th kept me easily rolling 75 MPH or more. I still have the stock 4.10 diff gears and with the 8 speed it was very smooth and easy to keep the RPM's around 2,200. I'm finding zero reasons to do a gear swap and I'm running 37's. The 8 speed does it all manually or automatic.
The way I convinced myself to like the auto: It has more gears. I've always liked the transmission option with more gears. If an automatic & manual option have the same number of gears, then I would always choose the manual. But two more gears in an auto? That's a lot more ratio options that the manual doesn't get. Of course with enough power this is negligible...

Also a 2.0 manual could have swayed my opinion...

Edit: I do have other manual vehicles to get my fix.
Sponsored

Last edited:

pangmaster

First Name
Nathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLR
Occupation
Enterprise architect
Vehicle Showcase
The auto is definitely great on the JL. I enjoy driving my wife's JLU with the 2.0T. No complaints with that engine aside from the exhaust note, which we may change at some point. It's the worst on cold start.

But I love rowing gears on mine even more. I know part of that is nostalgia but I don't care. All of my Jeeps have been 2 door MT. I'll keep working the clutch until I can't...

Rpk99

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
65th Anniversary Wrangler
I'm in! And after we convince them 2dr owners need our own space maybe we can convince the factory that a 2dr 392 would be a great option. After all they had the balls to do it back in the CJ days.

20210720_204258.jpg

rayvonp

First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep Wrangler 4xe, 2021 Jeep Gladiator
Occupation
Truck Driver
I second this

Sponsored

The Last Cowboy

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Willys 2 door
Occupation
Wandering Vaquero
I really liked my JK 6 speed, there times I wanted it to be a 7 speed. Which is to say that it was doing itā€™s job in 6th on the highway. It had 32ā€ Rubicon take offs and 3.73s. I have no idea why they messed with the manual transmission for the JL. I went back and forth then finally chose the 8 speed and have no regrets.

As far as the JL vs JLU debate, I donā€™t believe that Jeep/FCA USA/Stellantis uses any other letter designations other than JL or JT. As another thread made clear all the letter designations used on the forums are made up by us.

AcesandEights

First Name
Aces
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep Rubicon 2D, with extra guacamole
Occupation
I'm often occupied, by many things, often at the same time
I really liked my JK 6 speed, there times I wanted it to be a 7 speed. Which is to say that it was doing itā€™s job in 6th on the highway. It had 32ā€ Rubicon take offs and 3.73s. I have no idea why they messed with the manual transmission for the JL. I went back and forth then finally chose the 8 speed and have no regrets.

What was the change between JK and JL?

The Last Cowboy

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Willys 2 door
Occupation
Wandering Vaquero

AcesandEights

First Name
Aces
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep Rubicon 2D, with extra guacamole
Occupation
I'm often occupied, by many things, often at the same time
Oh, I see what you mean. I actually like the wide-ratio trans, especially for first gear, but I get what that poster is saying, and especially second gear. There is quite a jump on the JL manual, between first and second, and I feel it. I don't really care too much about sixth gear, but use it occasionally. I wouldn't give up the lower first gear though for the closer-ratio. I'd rather drive it like a five-speed and have a lower first gear. I've got the Rubicon with lower differential gearing, so that may be a significant difference as well. My $0.02 anyway.

Sponsored

jimim

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Rubicon, 2017 Tahoe LTZ
Iā€™m a 4 door owner so donā€™t stone me but I want to say something.

When my good friend bought a 4 door the first year it came out. He was deff the first person to have one in our town. He pulled into my parents driveway. I looked at it and said what the heck is going on with that Jeep. Why 4 doors. Thatā€™s just odd. I remember thinking it looked so long.

Took a while to get used to seeing it on the road.

OP
OP
Rescue119

Rescue119

First Name
Cory
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler Willys, 2021 Jeep GC L Limited
Iā€™m a 4 door owner so donā€™t stone me but I want to say something.

When my good friend bought a 4 door the first year it came out. He was deff the first person to have one in our town. He pulled into my parents driveway. I looked at it and said what the heck is going on with that Jeep. Why 4 doors. Thatā€™s just odd. I remember thinking it looked so long.

Took a while to get used to seeing it on the road.
Now the outnumber the 2 doors by a lot. If I do see a 2dr around its a jk or older.

Also rumors say jeep is only accept custom orders for 2dr JLs from customers for 2022 with no dealer allotments.

Wraif

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 2-door manual Rubicon, 09 JKU
Imagine if they offered 2dr v8s etc lol
I had a 2-door with a V-8. Had to sell it. Kept on tearing up the rear axle. It was a 1972 CJ-5 with a 304 V-8 3-speed manual and enough rust to have only 2 solid body mounts. Had a bunch of Jeepā€™s since then, hate having to call them all 2-doors. There wasnā€™t any 4-doors back then. After I flipped my 13-JK Rubicon I bought my 19 Rubicon. 2 doors, 6-speed manual and absolutely the best Jeep Iā€™ve had yet. I also have a 09 JKU.

Wraif

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 2-door manual Rubicon, 09 JKU
No stick shift for me!! I have been driving manual transmissions since a child. I drove big trucks and heavy equipment off and on since the 80's and full time tanker driver for the last 18 years. My current pickup is stick shift, no cruise control, and no AC. I'm sick of not having an automatic and nice air conditioning. Cruise control I can take it or leave it.

The novelty of a stick shift will wear off quickly when you are sitting in bumper to bumper stop and go traffic day in and day out.
Ya think so ? Nope. Iā€™ve lost track of how many Jeepā€™s Iā€™ve had, no I havenā€™t-10, all but 2 have been manuals and daily drivers. The automatics were for the wife. This list includes the last 2 that Iā€™ve ordered cause I couldnā€™t find what I wanted. It doesnā€™t include the ā€˜otherā€™ Jeeps Iā€™ve had, Grand Cherokee and such, as they didnā€™t go off-road. Iā€™ll keep rowing, thanks. Donā€™t presume to know what others want or need, just cause you canā€™t hack it.
Sponsored