Sponsored

Unmarrying Tazer for Dealer Visit

CarbonSteel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Bronco Wildtrak
Vehicle Showcase
Thank you for this detailed explanation - makes sense. But does give rise to another question: if using JSCAN to set a gear ratio - there is no 'unmarrying' it when it goes to the dealer. Let's say Jeep changes or upgrades your computer based on what it 'should' be (according to their records/computer) - but your Jeep's computer really contains something different (because you used JSCAN to change it). Does the same logic apply? Because conventional thought doesn't seem to suggest to reset your JSCAN programming before taking to the dealer, could you still be bricked?

In the scenario presented it seems the Tazer might have the advantage of allowing you unmarry it and restore it to what it 'should' be...? IDK... just wondering.
This is not how JSCAN works. It writes to the BCM/PCM just as the WiTechii system that Jeep uses does. It is merely changing a value from a set menu of selections--such as going from a 4.10 gear ratio to a 5.13. It is not adding or changing any software within the system so there is nothing to default back to and a tech at a dealer is only going to do the necessary, they would not go setting by setting to check/change the values.

Even if they did, it is not a big deal because:

1. A dealer tech cannot tell how the value was changed, just that it was. It would take a FCA "programmer" to get into the code to see that JSCAN was used to change a value.

2. All one needs to do is change the value back using JSCAN afterwards and so no harm, no foul.
Sponsored

OP
OP
jbcrane

jbcrane

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
'21.JLU.6MT.GCM.35.4.88.ZEON12
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Technical/Indstrial 3D Animator
Vehicle Showcase
I have been to the dealer 3 times for Jeep wave service and each time I unmarry and remove tazer. No problems with limp mode.
This is good info. Had you used the Tazer to set a different axle/gear ratio than stock?

OP
OP
jbcrane

jbcrane

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
'21.JLU.6MT.GCM.35.4.88.ZEON12
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Technical/Indstrial 3D Animator
Vehicle Showcase

Gunfighter

First Name
P.J.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler High Altitude
Occupation
Trying not to get warning points
Vehicle Showcase
As far as unmarrying vs just unplugging when taking into a dealer or whatever - just do what the instructions say to do to eliminate (or at least greatly lessen) and possible problems. It's not that hard.

unmarry.JPG

Sponsored

Chile1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR & 2016 BMW X5M
Occupation
Biotech Sales Management
Vehicle Showcase
what about having to unmarry/remove for an emissions inspection at a independent mechanic?

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JL Rubi, '22 Prevost M H3-45,'01 Harley FatBoy

JLURfab

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mazda 6
Agree with these guys. Unless you're taking it in for a warranty claim associated with a potentail Tazer setting, there is no need to unmarry it. Be sure to remove it so they can plug in to do software updates and diagnostic if necessary. If they have to unplug the Tazer, you may never see it again.
I thought they were vin specific after marriage

Ratbert

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
AEV JL370 JLURD , AMG GLC43
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Software Engineer
Clubs

This is not how JSCAN works. It writes to the BCM/PCM just as the WiTechii system that Jeep uses does. It is merely changing a value from a set menu of selections--such as going from a 4.10 gear ratio to a 5.13. It is not adding or changing any software within the system so there is nothing to default back to and a tech at a dealer is only going to do the necessary, they would not go setting by setting to check/change the values.

Even if they did, it is not a big deal because:

1. A dealer tech cannot tell how the value was changed, just that it was. It would take a FCA "programmer" to get into the code to see that JSCAN was used to change a value.

2. All one needs to do is change the value back using JSCAN afterwards and so no harm, no foul.
Does the Tazer use a different technique to accomplish that?

If not then I would hope that those specific settings wouldn't be reset when unmarrying.

CarbonSteel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Does the Tazer use a different technique to accomplish that?

If not then I would hope that those specific settings wouldn't be reset when unmarrying.
They will be reset. When the Tazer is unmarried, the original configuration is copied back from the Tazer to the BCM/PCM and therefore whatever changes that were made via the Tazer will be lost.

The difference with JSCAN is that it is writing directly to the BCM/PCM so there is nothing "outside" of the Jeep computer and connected or not, with JSCAN, the settings are "permanent" (at least until changed).

Sponsored

HungryHound

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1975 CJ-5, 1983 CJ-5, 1998 TJ, 2021 JLURe
I thought they were vin specific after marriage
They can't use it, but they may remove it to plug in their equipment and then toss it or leave it on a workbench. I've had to retrieve lug nut keys from dealerships after service.

Ratbert

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Software Engineer
Clubs

They will be reset. When the Tazer is unmarried, the original configuration is copied back from the Tazer to the BCM/PCM and therefore whatever changes that were made via the Tazer will be lost.

The difference with JSCAN is that it is writing directly to the BCM/PCM so there is nothing "outside" of the Jeep computer and connected or not, with JSCAN, the settings are "permanent" (at least until changed).
It seems like it'd be fairly simple for them to exclude specific settings from being reset. Has it been verified that those settings get reset?

Fortunately mine will come with 37s, so I shouldn't have that issue.

CarbonSteel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
It seems like it'd be fairly simple for them to exclude specific settings from being reset. Has it been verified that those settings get reset?

Fortunately mine will come with 37s, so I shouldn't have that issue.
Verified many times via various people unmarrying the Tazer as well as the documentation that comes with a Tazer -- https://www.zautomotive.com/zpu/instructions/TazerJLMiniUserGuide1137.pdf)

Here from that guide:

Returning to Stock (Unmarry)
SELECT “UNMARRY” FROM THE “VEHICLE
SETTINGS” MENU AND PERFORM THE STEPS ABOVE TO RETURN YOUR VEHICLE TO STOCK CONFIGURATION*
*Your Tazer stores the configuration present when it’s Married. That will be what
it returns to when you Unmarry, even if it wasn’t stock. You should Unmarry and remove your Tazer before dealer service or if you wish to use your Tazer in another vehicle.

It is simply how the Tazer works versus JSCAN or WiTechii (Dealer system). As long as a Tazer was not used to set the tire size you will not have that issue, otherwise, those settings will be lost.

Do you know how the tire size was set?

Ratbert

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Software Engineer
Clubs

Verified many times via various people unmarrying the Tazer as well as the documentation that comes with a Tazer -- https://www.zautomotive.com/zpu/instructions/TazerJLMiniUserGuide1137.pdf)

Here from that guide:

Returning to Stock (Unmarry)
SELECT “UNMARRY” FROM THE “VEHICLE
SETTINGS” MENU AND PERFORM THE STEPS ABOVE TO RETURN YOUR VEHICLE TO STOCK CONFIGURATION*
*Your Tazer stores the configuration present when it’s Married. That will be what
it returns to when you Unmarry, even if it wasn’t stock. You should Unmarry and remove your Tazer before dealer service or if you wish to use your Tazer in another vehicle.

It is simply how the Tazer works versus JSCAN or WiTechii (Dealer system). As long as a Tazer was not used to set the tire size you will not have that issue, otherwise, those settings will be lost.

Do you know how the tire size was set?
Like I said: it seems like it'd be fairly simple for them to exclude specific settings from being reset. I'm saying that as a software engineer.

Mine will be set by an AEV ProCal SNAP.

It seems like they all store the settings in the same way. It's the unmarry step that apparently restores more than desired.

CarbonSteel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Like I said: it seems like it'd be fairly simple for them to exclude specific settings from being reset. I'm saying that as a software engineer.

Mine will be set by an AEV ProCal SNAP.

It seems like they all store the settings in the same way. It's the unmarry step that apparently restores more than desired.
No; they do not store them in the same way. JSCAN & WiTechii (FCA tool at Dealer) do not store anything--they are writing directly to the BCM/PCM. When you disconnect JSCAN or WiTechii there is nothing lost because everything resides in the BCM/PCM within the Jeep.

Tazer copies the original BCM/PCM configuration and stores it within itself. It then takes the changes that you make and writes them to the BCM/PCM. The difference is that when the Tazer is unmarried, the original configuration is written back to the BCM/PCM and therefore any changes made with the Tazer are lost. Though Tazer "writes" to the BCM/PCM, it is not permanent.

For me, this is the primary reason that I dumped Tazer in favor of JSCAN especially since I was not using any of the features that Tazer provides that JSCAN does not.

Hope this makes sense.
Sponsored