Sponsored

Unleaded Gas question for 2.0L engine

stylett9

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep
I'll throw in my 2 cents with everyone else. I'll preface I won't insinuate I know any better than anyone else.

My understanding is if the engine is tuned to run on 87, then it's fine. However if you want "peak performance", the higher the octane the more power you can extract from the motor. This doesn't necessarily imply better or worse wear and tear efficiency, it's just simply a combustion of better power output.

with that said, if you are heavy footed, then maybe it is best to run the highest octane your area offers. But if you putt around like me, I honestly don't think my jeep has seen above 3000 RPM's, I drive like a grandpa, 87 has not shown a hint of weird hesitation, poor performance, or odd noises.
Sponsored

stylett9

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep
when you say low quality fuel, are you implying lower octane fuel, ie 87? When I hear people use the term “low quality fuel” i think of hole in the wall gas stations or cheap gas stations like Arco.

but say chevron 87, is that considered low quality?

Jitzy

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Willys
Occupation
Retired Police, Now Certified Custom Club Fitter
So when I first got mine I was running 87 for about a month then switched to 91, my mileage went up a little but the car just seams like it run better with the 91 so I’ve been staying with it.

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Black and Tan
Do any turbo users use premium gas? First 3 fill ups I used reguler (87 octane) and averaging 21mpg. Just read in owners manual that regular gas works but premium is recommended for optimal performance. It's about $.50 more per gallon where I live, $9/fillup. Is it worth it to use premium in the 2.0L Turbo
I alternate fill ups between 93 asked 89. I can't find 91 anywhere. Average in City 19.5 and 24.7 on highway. I use the auto start stop most of the time. It doesn't bother me in the least. I also have nearly 7,000 miles on odom and no problems
Sponsored