Unfortunately in the market for a new JLUR

billlumberg

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
a Jeep
upload_2019-11-3_2-29-21.jpeg

upload_2019-11-3_2-44-8.jpeg

Edited: Sorry for the reference to JLUR in the title, not looking for a Rubicon.

Unfortunately, we are going to be in the market for a new JLU. DS was in am accident(will not go into to many details right now). Hoping for a total, but will be trading in no matter what. Here is current configuration:

2018 Sport S
Cold Weather Package
Tow Package
Convince Group
Alpine Audio
Auto
Hard Top
Safety Package
Premium Wheels
Technology Package

Will be adding LED and Advanced Safety.

Question, can some one give me a brief comparison to Sport S vs Sport Altitude vs Black and Tan? Sorry for a newbie question, but I have not kept up with the new models. Didn’t think I would be in the market so soon.

Also, I purchased the lifetime warranty. I know I can cash out the residual, but can I transfer to new Jeep? Don’t think I can but thought I would ask.

TIA,

Bill
Sponsored

Last edited:

Jeeporama

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon (JLU), 2005 Jeep Liberty
Vehicle Showcase
Well on the plus side, the boys seem to be ok :like:

As far as your question though, I can't give a comparison as I will default on a recommendation of getting a fully loaded JLUR with black leather.

Shooting or Jeeping

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR, 2019 RAV4
For clarification, you mentioned JLUR several times. That typically means Rubicon. Are you comparing those Sport trims with a Rubicon, or are you not meaning to add that extra letter?

agarber5687

First Name
Austin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 JLU Sport Altitude, '18 Chrysler Pacifica
I can help with part of your question as I am about to order a Sport Altitude. I want a black top so that ruled out the Black and Tan for me.

The Altitude is a lot of cosmetic changes with blacked out grill/headlamp inserts, wheels, badging, and interior dash. The Black and Tan has the same black interior accents

It also adds the hard top, headliners, heavy duty breaks, and I believe the suspension on the Sahara compared to the standard Sport.

I hope that helps.

OP
OP

billlumberg

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
a Jeep
Well on the plus side, the boys seem to be ok :like:
Yes, boys are ok, a little sore, but that is about it. Don’t know why the NHTSA rating will be, but this Jeep gets 5 stars from me!

For clarification, you mentioned JLUR several times. That typically means Rubicon. Are you comparing those Sport trims with a Rubicon, or are you not meaning to add that extra letter?
Sorry, I have corrected that. Thanks for pointing it out.

I can help with part of your question as I am about to order a Sport Altitude. I want a black top so that ruled out the Black and Tan for me.

The Altitude is a lot of cosmetic changes with blacked out grill/headlamp inserts, wheels, badging, and interior dash. The Black and Tan has the same black interior accents

It also adds the hard top, headliners, heavy duty breaks, and I believe the suspension on the Sahara compared to the standard Sport.

I hope that helps.
Thanks!

Sponsored

mwilk012

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ocean Blue JLU Rubicon
Occupation
Service
All of those packages are appearance packages, no functional difference. They are all Sport S's.

ptoemmes

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Willys “Edition” TBD Mar 2021
Glad everyone's OK. Don't pass up your chance to get the soon to be rare and highly something-something 305 Edition JL. And, no, you don't have to move to Miami either.

agarber5687

First Name
Austin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 JLU Sport Altitude, '18 Chrysler Pacifica
All of those packages are appearance packages, no functional difference. They are all Sport S's.
Everyone loves to say this about every package they release, but I do not follow.

Yes, each purposely sets out to look a bit different with cosmetic changes.

But each of them change the breaks, suspensions, and the rear differential (on the Willys). On top of that, each add different included option packages such as LED lights, hard tops with liners or premium soft tan tops, rock rails, and technology packages. All at a slight discount compared to if you add them to a standard Sport.

All of that seems fairly functional in my eyes.

I say this not to argue but to point it out. It was very confusing when I first started researching the packages because so many people said “it’s just cosmetic”. Then when I dig deeper I found many other differences not so easily highlighted.

four low

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL
I see from the windshield glass on your hood, and what looks like the other vehicles hood ripped off , that this was a hard hit. The JL did its job for you. Are the other people ok ?
Fingers crossed..

jaldeborgh

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk Elite, 2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee Summit, 2018 Jeep JL Wrangler Rubicon, 2017 Lotus Evora 400, 1949 Triumph 2000 (under restoration), 2004 Ducati Monster S4R, 2003 BMW K1200RS, and 4 Vespa scooters.
Occupation
Semiconductor Capital Equipment Sales Executive
Glad you're okay, the Jeep can be replaced. Based on the pictures, the jeep held up really well in what looks like substantial damage to the other vehicle. Good luck in finding a replacement vehicle, Wrangler or otherwise.

Sponsored

OP
OP

billlumberg

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
a Jeep
I say this not to argue but to point it out. It was very confusing when I first started researching the packages because so many people said “it’s just cosmetic”. Then when I dig deeper I found many other differences not so easily highlighted.
That’s exactly what Ian trying to figure out. It appears to me that the Altitude is minimally cheaper/expensive depending on the configuration. I have heard it comes with better brakes, but haven’t found the details. I also don’t see LSD as an option on the build for the Altitude, so was wondering out that was standard?

I see from the windshield glass on your hood, and what looks like the other vehicles hood ripped off , that this was a hard hit. The JL did its job for you. Are the other people ok ?
Fingers crossed..
My people are ok. Don’t know about other person. I do know that when they loaded him in the ambulance, it did not leave immediately, which I took as a good sign. The metal you see on the front of the Jeep is the drivers door and the glass is the drivers window.

TrailTorque

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU
Vehicle Showcase
Everyone loves to say this about every package they release, but I do not follow.

Yes, each purposely sets out to look a bit different with cosmetic changes.

But each of them change the breaks, suspensions, and the rear differential (on the Willys). On top of that, each add different included option packages such as LED lights, hard tops with liners or premium soft tan tops, rock rails, and technology packages. All at a slight discount compared to if you add them to a standard Sport.

All of that seems fairly functional in my eyes.

I’ll clue you in why you’re not following when people say that while you’re still waiting to get a JL.

People say that because we’ve been here a minute or two and have seen the progression of these “packages” and know the difference between actual functionality and not functional.

To your point, brakes/shocks/ and a two-speed T-case (which you didn’t mention) are more functional over regular brakes/shocks and T-case but come at a much higher price tag.

To everyone else’s point, some decals, take off Rubi shocks, take off Rubi rock rails and some better brakes can be done to any Sport/Sport-S at a much lower bottom line price tag.

The Willys only benefit, which has been highly debated here, is the two speed T-case. That’s it. Every other edition features things that can be done for cheaper to any other base Wrangler.

The base model Sport in 6MT comes standard with the anti-slip D44 rear and is an option in the Automatic. No benefit there really.

You can get Rubi rock rails for FREE or sub-$100 from members on here.

The small list goes on.

In summary, people call it appearance packages because that’s basically what they are.

Take the black & tan edition. Black Wrangler with a tan soft top and tan seats. Hell, someone did that on here by mistake when ordering like a year before it was even a special edition. His wife hated it when it came in by surprise and he was trying to figure out how to get rid of the tan soft top. Now they have a special edition they didn’t even know about lol

They are not anything unique or special if you actually think about it.

To me, I think a special edition should be completely unique, something you can’t option in the builder or grab one/two items online and you’re done.

If you buy one of the special editions there is absolutely nothing wrong with that. We are all excepting people here. Just know that someone with a Sport can build the same thing with 1-4 items for about 5-7k less. If that doesn’t bother you then don’t worry about it.
______

For the OP, I’m glad your Son is okay! It’ll be tough to get that totaled out being brand new unless there is damage I cannot see.

I suggest you take it to a body shop that you know and not one recommend by the insurance company.

Last edited:

Jeepdude101

First Name
Isaac
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 JLUR black
Occupation
Construction field worker
Vehicle Showcase
upload_2019-11-3_2-29-21.jpeg

upload_2019-11-3_2-44-8.jpeg

Edited: Sorry for the reference to JLUR in the title, not looking for a Rubicon.

Unfortunately, we are going to be in the market for a new JLU. DS was in am accident(will not go into to many details right now). Hoping for a total, but will be trading in no matter what. Here is current configuration:

2018 Sport S
Cold Weather Package
Tow Package
Convince Group
Alpine Audio
Auto
Hard Top
Safety Package
Premium Wheels
Technology Package

Will be adding LED and Advanced Safety.

Question, can some one give me a brief comparison to Sport S vs Sport Altitude vs Black and Tan? Sorry for a newbie question, but I have not kept up with the new models. Didn’t think I would be in the market so soon.

Also, I purchased the lifetime warranty. I know I can cash out the residual, but can I transfer to new Jeep? Don’t think I can but thought I would ask.

TIA,

Bill
that stinks I’m glad your ok on the next Jeep get something like this...:giggle:
upload_2019-11-3_10-53-3.jpeg