First Name
Kurt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Mojave
Occupation
IG Model and Influencer
Bought it new. Has 8000 miles on it now. Have every tank/mpg fill record. It has only gotten 17-18 mpg's.. It has a lift with crap on it now ( since 3500 miles ) still gets 17-18 mpg's.
I use a tazer mini to correct the speedo. Still 17-18 mpg's.
Started with the last 2 fill up's with using the manual mode shifter, once at speed pushing it to stay 1500rpm and has boosted the mpg's 20-20.5 mpg's. Nothing else was done. I still drive the same way, until I'm up to speed then manual shift ( hold the trans in 7th or 8th .)
I live with nothing but hilly area. from 400 feet to 3,200 feet. my property run's 80 feet in height change.....
you cant maintain steady state speed in 8th on stock gears and 35’s uphill, for one. If you claim otherwise, please put it on video. As always, Im happy to be proven wrong.

Either way, You’re still getting worse on 35’s than I do on 37’s -with 400lb of cargo- and i just drive Without having to deal with speed decel and manually running the gears for the whole drive, which kinda sounds annoying.

Just tell me what method you use so I can replicate it, and we’ll see how much higher I get in comparison. 👌
Sponsored

Last edited:

Kevin Mojito

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR Moijto 2005 TJ AEV Hemi
Yes, I'm getting worse mpg than you.
What I'm saying is my setup would only get 17-18 mpg's no matter what I did. With a simple manual shift strategy I have boosted my mpg's. No changes made other than dropping the rpm.
Mine would like to "hang on" to a lower gear then needed.
Yes, it's a dog doing this. Yes, it will "float" more mph up and down. I can stay with traffic and not piss anyone off though.
I would say just try it. It cost you nothing to try. See if you can boost your mpg's even more.

OP
OP
Kurt0

Kurt0

First Name
Kurt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Mojave
Occupation
IG Model and Influencer
Yes, I'm getting worse mpg than you.
What I'm saying is my setup would only get 17-18 mpg's no matter what I did. With a simple manual shift strategy I have boosted my mpg's. No changes made other than dropping the rpm.
Mine would like to "hang on" to a lower gear then needed.
Yes, it's a dog doing this. Yes, it will "float" more mph up and down. I can stay with traffic and not piss anyone off though.
I would say just try it. It cost you nothing to try. See if you can boost your mpg's even more.
im willing to try anything pretty much and see what happens. Ive only attempted it once previously before tuning and found it annoying; but im happy to give it another go under new conditions. 🤷🏼‍♂️

so, you get up to speed; lock to 8th, and go down to 7/6/etc based on what factors? Ill try to replicate as close as possible.

Kevin Mojito

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR Moijto 2005 TJ AEV Hemi
I have a 5 mile run ( to and from ) @ 35-40 mph, I run it in the 7th. Anytime at freeway speed ( above 55 mph ) hit 8th. It comes down to keeping the rpm to 1500 or just under. Much less then 1500 it really becomes a dog.
That's it. It sounds like it should not change the average mpg's, but it works.

av8or

First Name
Randall
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR, 2023 Rivian R1T
Occupation
FedEx-retired
Thanks for the videos! I’m one of the people you talked about that have heard the limiting factor for flow is the heads/throttle body and have passed that on thinking I was correct and helping people. I’m definitely not an expert and now wish I’d kept my mouth shut, Not so much for my ego, but just wish I hadn’t given others shit information/advise.

Please keep posting!

Now I need to start thinking about making some changes Because I’m in the same 17-18 mpg boat.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Kurt0

Kurt0

First Name
Kurt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Mojave
Occupation
IG Model and Influencer
Thanks for the videos! I’m one of the people you talked about that have heard the limiting factor for flow is the heads/throttle body and have passed that on thinking I was correct and helping people. I’m definitely not an expert and now wish I’d kept my mouth shut, Not so much for my ego, but just wish I hadn’t given others shit information/advise.

Please keep posting!

Now I need to start thinking about making some changes Because I’m in the same 17-18 mpg boat.
No troubles! Happens to every single person out there, me included. please dont hear it as a “call out” as much as a “call to have a data driven discussion”, if that makes sense.

i’m always ready to be proven wrong with data or shown where Ive missed something. Cheers-

KansasJL

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Sting Grey JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
when It comes to exhaust I have a few questions. Would the AWE resonated mid pipe and the stock muffler still be an improvement? I really am not a fan of duel exhaust on a Jeep and I really would like to keep it as quite as possible at the same time.
Would the ”pug” lower intake manifold help with performance? I assume it would fit in the engine bay of the JL.

OP
OP
Kurt0

Kurt0

First Name
Kurt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Mojave
Occupation
IG Model and Influencer
when It comes to exhaust I have a few questions. Would the AWE resonated mid pipe and the stock muffler still be an improvement? I really am not a fan of duel exhaust on a Jeep and I really would like to keep it as quite as possible at the same time.
Would the ”pug” lower intake manifold help with performance? I assume it would fit in the engine bay of the JL.
ive never tested what youre asking about so ill have to guess.

remember while i like awe, it isnt the only one out there fit to accomplish what we want. I think youre better off picking a complete exhaust that suits your wants than just a section. Id expect the muffler to be a restriction in addition to the pipe diameter.

ive not yet looked at manifold changes to this yet; so not really sure on it. Sometimes they can make a decent bump in power but sometimes they are so aggressively ported they make power up top at the expense of power down low...so id evaluate and consider carefully.

OP
OP
Kurt0

Kurt0

First Name
Kurt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Mojave
Occupation
IG Model and Influencer
my runs are on the performance tune running 91-93 octane. I have no info on the afe scorcher...dont know a thing about it.

pulsar v4 is under development to correct a whole mess of issues that remained with v3, and is based off tbe Hemi Ram version. superchips has asked me to beta test the unit and is building a pre-production version of it for me i expect to have soon.

KansasJL

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Sting Grey JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
my runs are on the performance tune running 91-93 octane. I have no info on the afe scorcher...dont know a thing about it.

pulsar v4 is under development to correct a whole mess of issues that remained with v3, and is based off tbe Hemi Ram version. superchips has asked me to beta test the unit and is building a pre-production version of it for me i expect to have soon.
Keep us posted on this. When it’s time I haven’t decided between the Pulsar or Livernoise.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Kurt0

Kurt0

First Name
Kurt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Mojave
Occupation
IG Model and Influencer
Keep us posted on this. When it’s time I haven’t decided between the Pulsar or Livernoise.
Ill keep people posted.

i picked and am trying to get pulsar to work based on form factor, easy in/out of the unit, and not deal with the mess of hacked/cut ecu boxes or swapped ecu’s. If that doesnt matter to you, you cant’t go wrong with the livernois tune. They make really great ecu files.

KansasJL

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Sting Grey JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
I’ve been leaning towards the Livernois tune but possibly down time with the ECU isn’t ideal

OP
OP
Kurt0

Kurt0

First Name
Kurt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Mojave
Occupation
IG Model and Influencer
i did some more research on this, but admittedly not much, so dont hold this as gospel.

In reading, it looks like the 18+ jeep motors are likely already “Pentastar UPgrade” and have the updated lower intake manifold. the longer runners was part of the strategy to improve tq below 3,000; which lengthening the runner can do exactly that. Short version, as best I can tell the LIM is already PUG on all JL/JT variations of the 3.6. (If someone knows different, please let us know the correct info!). I also havent seen anything to support that porting a pug lim would gain anything.

There is still some question as to what the upper manifold is; and whether or not an improvement can be had. I havent looked at the upper manifold yet, just remember that playing with manifolds can make power, but it can also shift power. You might find the result being moving your tq curve right and hurting your low end. Ill look at it a little more as i get time and let you know if i find anything. I didnt make manifolds a priority for myself because Im going with a PD blower.

hope that helps

OP
OP
Kurt0

Kurt0

First Name
Kurt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Mojave
Occupation
IG Model and Influencer
Added the FastMan ported 80mm Tb.

porting TB’s is “old magic”, and i have to admit i was surprised at the amount of material they were able to remove given today’s tolerances at production. But port it they did, and removed part of the butterfly arm.

can i feel a difference? Nah. Not really. People who have dyno’d them showed pretty solid ~7-10hp across the rev range which is difficult at best to perceive and when its that broad its impossible to perceive.

the sound of the intake DID change though, there’s an almost “nozzling“ sound in the intake thats in the background but perceptible without the intake resonators on. Im curious enough about it that when i baseline for my blower im going to swap the stock on and see what the delta is.

we’ll see about any improvements along my mpg loop here soon.

Jeep Wrangler JL Understanding the ECU 101..:or how im getting over 20mpg on 37’s FB77B8FB-A4BE-42AB-B695-CA6EBCCB988F
Jeep Wrangler JL Understanding the ECU 101..:or how im getting over 20mpg on 37’s F110CA8B-4170-4BFE-B1D1-E67FAB49FD50
Sponsored