Sponsored

Underseat Knife Holder? SOLVED…Will use pepper spray instead.

MikeEIB

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLURD & 2013 JKR 10A
Honestly, I’d rather not shoot anyone so I’ll leave the .45 at home. I’d use the knife more like a deterrent and hopefully I wouldn’t have to slice-n-dice.

And although I don’t have any combat training I’ve used knives multiple times a day for 10 years slicing and dicing in the kitchen so a knife feels right at home in my hands. And I know how to keep them very sharp.
Good news is you don’t have to shoot anyone and a pistol is also a far better deterrent. Just remember if you pull that knife someone else may be able to legally shoot YOU.

gsbrockman

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Willys XR in Hydro Blue
Occupation
Owner / Operator Brockman Hauling, LLC
Vehicle Showcase
Honestly, I’d rather not shoot anyone so I’ll leave the .45 at home. I’d use the knife more like a deterrent....
Staring down the barrel of a 1911 is a hell of a lot more deterrent than a crazy knife.

This little buddy is on my hip almost everyday. He has about 8 or 9 friends as well.
image-jpg.jpg

RFR JLR 2.0

First Name
Rudy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep JLU Rubicon 3.6L
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Geologist
I keep pepper spray in the center console. It’s effective, easy (as long as you don’t spray yourself), and you won’t go to jail. If that doesn’t work then I have the M&P Shield as a last resort. Even if you shot/stabbed someone in self defense doesn’t mean a jury will agree. And then you go jail.

Sponsored

Wapiti

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
While it's not a combat knife, and it's not within easy reach, I keep this in between the side of the Mopar floor mat and the console:
https://www.amazon.com/Terzuola-Highway-Rescue-Knife-Sheath/dp/B01MUTTRAB
The sheath has kind of a velcro backing that holds it to the carpet; figured the seat belt cutter / glass breaker could be good in case of entrapment, plus a knife is always handy for cutting snacks, etc. When I was regularly reporting for work downtown with the doors off, I would keep a collapsible baton in a molle-mounted cupholder attached to the back of the front passenger seat.

Apexcars

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 RAM 1500
And although I don’t have any combat training I’ve used knives multiple times a day for 10 years slicing and dicing in the kitchen so a knife feels right at home in my hands. And I know how to keep them very sharp.
That’s great. If you get attacked by some vegetables or a boneless chicken breast you are all set. Unfortunately, chef skills and martial skills are not the same. The pinch grip is really not an effective combat grip. Based on what you are saying I think you need to do some real thinking about your own personal defense plans.

OP
OP
JasonInDLH

JasonInDLH

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR, 15 Yukon Denali
Occupation
I’d Rather Talk Jeep’s!

Rubigone

First Name
Marvin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JL Rubicon
If you live in a place where you legally can carry a gun just buy one and conceal it, way better deterrent than a knife which you would have to get up and close with. Also without proper training they might be able to snatch it from you and use it against you instead.

Sponsored

The Last Cowboy

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Willys 2 door
Occupation
Wandering Vaquero
If you live in a place where you legally can carry a gun just buy one and conceal it, way better deterrent than a knife which you would have to get up and close with. Also without proper training they might be able to snatch it from you and use it against you instead.
Which brings up a good point. Never brandish a weapon that you aren't willing to use. Because if you aren't willing to use it, you could lose it. Someone who has nothing to lose, in may cases, will continue to advance. They don't care about their life or yours, and will take your weapon from you given a chance.

roaniecowpony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 14 GMC 1500 CC All TERRAIN
Occupation
Retired Engineer
Nobody goes to the city anymore, there's too many people there.

AcesandEights

First Name
Aces
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep Rubicon 2D, with extra guacamole
Occupation
I'm often occupied, by many things, often at the same time
Even the outdoors are getting too peopley nowadays :(

AcesandEights

First Name
Aces
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep Rubicon 2D, with extra guacamole
Occupation
I'm often occupied, by many things, often at the same time
I think under the seat is a dumb idea. Try to grab something from under the seat and realize you are very exposed. If you really want an easy to reach and use defensive weapon, and if that weapon is going to be a knife, I don't think you want to curl up into a ball trying to get at it while someone stabs you in the neck. So, carry on your belt, or possibly farther forward where it is easier to grab and unsheath.

Here is a picture of a mounted radio. You could easily adapt a mount that holds your sheath, on the driver's side of the rig on the center instrument panel. It's not much farther forward but as you reach for it, as opposed to under your butt/seat, you're less reliant on using your left hand to support your body/weight while reaching for it. If your left hand is "busy", you're open to an offensive attack.

https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/forum/attachments/img_5742-jpg.387286/

BTW, I think this is all bullsh*t and it's a dumb idea, but since you asked...if you're really in need of a defensive weapon, it shouldn't be under the seat, it should be on your body, or forward of your body. Also, blade length is almost irrelevant, so you could just as easily carry a folder with belt clip. It'd probably still be easier and faster to deploy than a sheath/belt knife under the seat. It wouldn't look as tacticool though, I will say that. You need some sort of molle mount if you really want to intimidate bad guys. Also, if you can touch someone with a knife, they can touch you. I remember the first time someone pulled a knife on me and I explained that to them. Changed their demeanor real quick. So, if you're going to pull out a knife, you better make sure the other person has more to lose than you do.
Sponsored