Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator, 2018 Fiat 124 Spider
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
When I first started playing on that site early last year, there was only 6 options (Sport, Sport S, Sport Altitude, Sahara, Sahara Altitude, and Rubicon).

After narrowing down my choice based on the options I wanted to a Sport Altitude, I was starting to worry it was going to go away before I ordered because there were so many new editions being added...

Nope, it’s still there a year later, along all 6 additional options. :facepalm:
Yup. The very idea of a "special edition" implies that it will exist for a limited period of time.

Not in FCA world...
Sponsored

mrdot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Unlimited Sport Altitude, 2017 GX460, 2013 Boxster S
I ran across another window sticker recently that said Altitude when it clearly wasn't. I called the dealer and they confirmed it was a Sport S and the window sticker probably had a typo. Strange.

Attachments

viper88

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 JLR 2.0T (past), '22 JLR 3.6 (present)
In my opinion, if someone is looking at getting a Sport S with some options, the Willys is probably the best value. I got a quote from Criswell on a Willys and a Sport S, both with the following options: 7" UConnect, Trailer tow group, convenience group (I'll actually remove that when I go to order), 3 piece hard top, and LED lights on the Sport S (standard on the Willys). Totals came to $37k for the Sport S and $39k for the Willys, plus tax, tag, and $300 processing fee. Some people say the Willys package is just a sticker package, but in reality you get black Rubi wheels, MT2s, Rubi shocks and brakes, fuel door, and rock sliders with step assist all as part of the package. I feel like that is pretty darn worth the $2k difference.
The larger brakes are nice. They probably cost $1000 to upgrade alone.

viper88

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 JLR 2.0T (past), '22 JLR 3.6 (present)
I am kind of in the same boat with Willys vs. Sahara. By the time I add the options I want (Dual top, Cold Weather, Alpine / upgraded Uconnect screen, V6, auto transmission) they are only about $1,500 apart ($47,585 vs. $49,035).

Seems like at that point it's just a difference in aesthetics and feel - the more "rugged" Willys vs. the more "luxe" Sahara, right? Am I missing something?
Personally I like the Willys. Definitely drive a Willys and see if you like the M/T tires on paved roads. Otherwise a tire swap might be in order. A wheel and tire swap would probably cost next to nothing because I am sure someone would want the Willys wheels and tires. Take-off Rubicon wheels and K02 tires are easy to find also.

tlmacson

First Name
Mac
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Moab
Some special editions are less "useful" than others. And the price differential between some special editions versus others is significant. Every year has several special editions and sorting out the cost / benefit of each is time consuming.

The Moab package for 2018 (partial) and 2019 was $10k, but you did get a lot. The base for this package was the Sahara. For me it essentially had every option I would have wanted anyway and added quite a few extras. There were quite a few threads on the bashing of a Moab, but this was to be a daily driver for my wife and she wanted creature comforts. Yes, these could have been added on to a Rubi, but without the discount of the package that was available. So far us, a Moab was a no-brainer.
Agree 1000%!!
Sponsored