Sponsored

Underestimating the Edition Models of Wrangler

richardya

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Edge 2011
Vehicle Showcase
I think people who are price conscious and who buy the Sport S model in many instances need to look at the special editions. I am referring to people who are buying specific options. The best example is the Altitude edition and one of the most commonly purchased options that people buy with the Sport S. The hard top.

The price of a hard-topped-Sport S ($37,685) is only $500 less than the Altitude ($38,185.) *including destination charges* which comes with a standard hard top. But the Altitude comes with better wheels, the hardtop headliner, better suspension, and some nice cosmetic touches. Now, I am someone who advocates not getting suckered into buying options you don't want when car shopping, but.. At some point if they are going to throw in enough options you take it. I totally get if someone could not care less about the headliner or the tires, why throw $500 away. But most people would put some value on these items.
Basically you're getting this value.
  • 18 inch rims over 17 inches for $175
  • The headliner for $125
  • The better suspension for $125
  • Body color Grille for $75

The same is true for the Black & Tan edition for any customer who wants the Sport S with the technology package and the premium soft top. (Although this may limit your color choices)

I think Ive read articles that these packages were rip offs. I don't get it.
Sponsored

Agent47

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mojito! JLU 2.0T (Built 7/4)
Some people get offended that the special editions aren’t actually special or exclusive in any meaningful way. They’re a great value if you want the options though and I recommend everyone take a look at them before committing to a particular trim.

OP
OP
richardya

richardya

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Edge 2011
Vehicle Showcase
Notice i took "special" out of thread title. ;)

jludave

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Unlimited Sport Altitude
Occupation
IT Manager
Vehicle Showcase
Clubs

I think people who are price conscious and who buy the Sport S model in many instances need to look at the special editions. I am referring to people who are buying specific options. The best example is the Altitude edition and one of the most commonly purchased options that people buy with the Sport S. The hard top.
I agree, but I think that the average buyer (not someone who regularly participates on a forum like this) isn't aware of the various editions and what they have to offer. Many simply choose something from dealer stock and, depending on location, many dealerships don't have the "special" editions in stock.

I actually got lucky when I traded in my 2015 JKU. I went to one of my local dealers not fully intent on trading in right there and then. I just wanted to get an idea of what I was in for. I knew exactly what features/options/packages I wanted in a new JLU Sport S (somehow I missed the Altitude edition on the Jeep build site) and figured they'd have something in stock or would be able to swap with another dealership. My salesperson came back with a copy of the window stickers for a Sport Altitude and a regular Sport S with essentially the same options. It was a no brainer comparing the 2 and, as you described, the savings of the Altitude package. I made the deal, signed the paperwork and drove home with my 2020 Sport Altitude that day.

DiabloBlanco

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Sport S
In my opinion, if someone is looking at getting a Sport S with some options, the Willys is probably the best value. I got a quote from Criswell on a Willys and a Sport S, both with the following options: 7" UConnect, Trailer tow group, convenience group (I'll actually remove that when I go to order), 3 piece hard top, and LED lights on the Sport S (standard on the Willys). Totals came to $37k for the Sport S and $39k for the Willys, plus tax, tag, and $300 processing fee. Some people say the Willys package is just a sticker package, but in reality you get black Rubi wheels, MT2s, Rubi shocks and brakes, fuel door, and rock sliders with step assist all as part of the package. I feel like that is pretty darn worth the $2k difference.

Sponsored

chrizow

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subaru Outback, VW Passat
In my opinion, if someone is looking at getting a Sport S with some options, the Willys is probably the best value. I got a quote from Criswell on a Willys and a Sport S, both with the following options: 7" UConnect, Trailer tow group, convenience group (I'll actually remove that when I go to order), 3 piece hard top, and LED lights on the Sport S (standard on the Willys). Totals came to $37k for the Sport S and $39k for the Willys, plus tax, tag, and $300 processing fee. Some people say the Willys package is just a sticker package, but in reality you get black Rubi wheels, MT2s, Rubi shocks and brakes, fuel door, and rock sliders with step assist all as part of the package. I feel like that is pretty darn worth the $2k difference.
I am kind of in the same boat with Willys vs. Sahara. By the time I add the options I want (Dual top, Cold Weather, Alpine / upgraded Uconnect screen, V6, auto transmission) they are only about $1,500 apart ($47,585 vs. $49,035).

Seems like at that point it's just a difference in aesthetics and feel - the more "rugged" Willys vs. the more "luxe" Sahara, right? Am I missing something?

OP
OP
richardya

richardya

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Edge 2011
Vehicle Showcase
Seems like at that point it's just a difference in aesthetics and feel - the more "rugged" Willys vs. the more "luxe" Sahara, right? Am I missing something?
I find it a good idea to use the pricing guide to get every single difference. That way you can make an individual decision.

The Willys vs Sahara should have a decent amount of differences. And I don't think those options you mentioned are standard on the Sahara. Your almost choosing between different Jeeps.

The special editions are really just regular models with a few options packaged together.

chrizow

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subaru Outback, VW Passat
The Willys vs Sahara should have a decent amount of differences. And I don't think those options you mentioned are standard on the Sahara. Your almost choosing between different Jeeps.

The special editions are really just regular models with a few options packaged together.
You're right, Willys vs. Sahara isn't really a question of a "special edition" including a lot of options packaged together for an overall discount...it's two different trim levels completely. I guess I have no idea how to compare the built-in characteristics of the Willys vs. Sahara, I just know what extra options I want!

diesel_jeep

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
4bt Cj
Weird thing is I got my window sticker (got the base model Sport) and the window sticker lists it as Altitude even though I did not get the altitude package? why is this?

214123412312.PNG

NTX Black Moab

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Moab (Black on Black)
Vehicle Showcase
Some special editions are less "useful" than others. And the price differential between some special editions versus others is significant. Every year has several special editions and sorting out the cost / benefit of each is time consuming.

The Moab package for 2018 (partial) and 2019 was $10k, but you did get a lot. The base for this package was the Sahara. For me it essentially had every option I would have wanted anyway and added quite a few extras. There were quite a few threads on the bashing of a Moab, but this was to be a daily driver for my wife and she wanted creature comforts. Yes, these could have been added on to a Rubi, but without the discount of the package that was available. So far us, a Moab was a no-brainer.

Sponsored

jludave

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
IT Manager
Vehicle Showcase
Clubs

Weird thing is I got my window sticker (got the base model Sport) and the window sticker lists it as Altitude even though I did not get the altitude package? why is this?
Unless that's the wrong window sticker for your vehicle, you're getting an Altitude. I have one and that's what my sticker looks like. You even have the correct base price. Check what's listed under packages. You should see it say "OPTIONAL EQUIPMENT (May Replace Standard Equipment) Customer Preferred Package 24L".

If you custom ordered, your salesperson may have accidentally entered the 24L package.

diesel_jeep

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
4bt Cj
Unless that's the wrong window sticker for your vehicle, you're getting an Altitude. I have one and that's what my sticker looks like. You even have the correct base price. Check what's listed under packages. You should see it say "OPTIONAL EQUIPMENT (May Replace Standard Equipment) Customer Preferred Package 24L".

If you custom ordered, your salesperson may have accidentally entered the 24L package.
I have the 26b package not 24l

jludave

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
IT Manager
Vehicle Showcase
Clubs

I have the 26b package not 24l
Interesting. Does it show any additional packages or optional equipment? What's listed as the total price?