FCrackerJLRubi

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon, 2018 JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
Since I am originally from the South (TN) I never spent the added money on things like underside coatings and what not....so for those in the north, do most of you get the under coatings done, and do you go with/trust the dealer coating options or are there other, better, options for this?

This is more just a curiosity than anything else, I am considering getting it done to mine....but I have seen some seriously shotty dealer undercoatings where overspray is king, and important stuff is left out. Considering the cost, its a waste it seems for those of us farther south....but still something I am considering to keep my Jeep looking good and as minimally rust free through the years and years to come.

Do they cover everything such as axles, arms, and the likes....or is it just focused on under belly/floor pans?
Sponsored

mul1gan

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Jeep JKUR
I had it on my JKU and didn't like it. Sure you minimize rust but i never keep my cars long enough to worry about that.
plus if you plan on doing work to it, i.e. lift. the shop will hate you for it.

:)

OP
OP
FCrackerJLRubi

FCrackerJLRubi

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
I had it on my JKU and didn't like it. Sure you minimize rust but i never keep my cars long enough to worry about that.
plus if you plan on doing work to it, i.e. lift. the shop will hate you for it.

:)
Thanks for the input, rust minimizing is what I really want because I plan to keep mine forever (I know I know people say that and trade it 3-5 years later...but for me this is my first and last brand new Jeep, which will become my extremely modified, probably not street legal anymore/trailer queen rock climber after its paid off). I do all work myself so the house wont hate me for it, but I do see your point!

Mattyp1214

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Black 2018 JLUR
Iā€™m just going to be religious about washing it. I looked into zeibart but I donā€™t think itā€™s worth it. Going to spend money on ceramic coating paint and just wash the bottom a lot

Revelation17

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'00 Corvette; '19 JLRU (Manual, Firecracker red)
Occupation
slave for "the man"
Vehicle Showcase
Iā€™ve been researching and debating this very thing. Iā€™m leaning towards just washing it more often in the winter, maybe in a self service bay so I can spray the undercarriage really well. Annual rust search and destroy with spray cans. Salt away frame rail rinse at least annually. There might be more but thatā€™s what I can think off offhand. Leaning against any aftermarket coatings...for now.

Sponsored

OP
OP
FCrackerJLRubi

FCrackerJLRubi

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Iā€™ve been researching and debating this very thing. Iā€™m leaning towards just washing it more often in the winter, maybe in a self service bay so I can spray the undercarriage really well. Annual rust search and destroy with spray cans. Salt away frame rail rinse at least annually. There might be more but thatā€™s what I can think off offhand. Leaning against any aftermarket coatings...for now.
If you don't own a pressure washer get one, then buy a sidewalk driveway cleaner head for it (surface cleaner is the official name i believe)....attach it to the wheel portion of a junk desk chair....you will thank me afterwards. :like:

Screen-Shot-2017-06-06-at-11.39.45-AM-868x381.jpg

MojitoJLUR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR Mojito
If you don't own a pressure washer get one, then buy a sidewalk driveway cleaner head for it (surface cleaner is the official name i believe)....attach it to the wheel portion of a junk desk chair....you will thank me afterwards. :like:

Do you have a better picture of how you actually attached it?

OP
OP
FCrackerJLRubi

FCrackerJLRubi

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Do you have a better picture of how you actually attached it?
I can when I get home, but the simple thing I did was just use a box cutter to slice four lines (one on each side) of the top across from each other and ran a 2 ratchet straps through them and around the chair wheel frame.

tyresmoker

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ram 1500 Limited EcoDiesel; '19 JLU Sahara-sting gray; 2017 Grand Cherokee SRT (sold);
If you live in a place that used liquid deicer (calcium) pretreat, the WORST thing you can do is spray the undercarriage. The pretreat reengages every time it gets wet. By pressuring washing, you are only driving the material further up into the joints and crevices in the undercarriage.
The s#it is literally eating everything it comes in contact with.

Sponsored

OP
OP
FCrackerJLRubi

FCrackerJLRubi

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
If you live in a place that used liquid deicer (calcium) pretreat, the WORST thing you can do is spray the undercarriage. The pretreat reengages every time it gets wet. By pressuring washing, you are only driving the material further up into the joints and crevices in the undercarriage.
The s#it is literally eating everything it comes in contact with.
That info I did not know, washer comes in handy for mud...here in Southeastern VA we dont get snow buy maybe once a year if we are lucky.

StyleGuy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 GMC YUKON DENALI, 2017 JAGUAR XE, 2014 MASERATI GHIBLI SQ4

Brilliant!

Rubi

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ā€˜18 Jeep JLR

How about if I thank you now? Excellent idea; never knew this pressure washer attachment existed. Both my local Loweā€™s and Home Depot stock them; thanks again.

Mix some of this CRC product through your pressure washer and totally clean that bullshit liquid salt off your undersides.

https://www.amazon.com/CRC-SX128-Terminator-Corrosion-Inhibitor/dp/B00546F77

http://docs.crcindustries.com/US Sell Sheets/1007968.pdf

Last edited:

TopPinArcher

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 1987 Toyota, 2017 Crosstrek, 2008 Gulf Stream Vista Cruiser
Occupation
Environmental Technician
I built a spray bar that I drive over.. itā€™s wide enough for my RV... has 8 nozzles and hooks up to my pressure washer... definitely gets the underside clean after off-roading in mud or sand.....

PaulNY

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ā€˜24 JLUR 392 Anvil ordered 5-10-23
I second Fluid Film or Krown. I have a local Krown dealer near me and get my undercarriage done once a year. Amazing stuff and will keep your undercarriage looking like new, even in the Northeast.
Sponsored