Sponsored

Undercarriage wash detergent?

Rufus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 2 door JL Sport 3.6 V6
I got a new pressure washer today and it has a bottle for detergent, which got me thinking about whether plain water is best for an undercarriage wash or if some kind of added agent would help neutralize salt and other corrosive elements. I drive on the beach often so I use a pressure washer with one of those undercarriage washing attachments that rolls under the vehicle. I've just been using straight water from the garden hose. Has anybody here researched undercarriage detergents? I have read that using a citrus based cleaner is a good idea, but I haven't seen any specific product recommendations. Thanks.
Sponsored

Strommen95

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 GMC Canyon
I thought most undercarriage sprays aren’t able to connect a soap connector? At least the ones I’ve worked with.

OP
OP

Rufus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I thought most undercarriage sprays aren’t able to connect a soap connector? At least the ones I’ve worked with.
You’re correct. The detergent bottle actually attached to the end of the gun. I thought it attached from the bottom and supplied whatever attachment you used. I’m still curious about the original question though, because if it makes sense I’ll spray under there occasionally with the detergent attachment and rinse with the undercarriage washer.

Hayseed_JLUR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR, 2015 JKU
I either drive mine in the rain and deep (clean) puddles or just take it through a carwash that has a undercarriage wash. Not stressing. We have plenty of salt here in the winters and had had no issues.

OP
OP

Rufus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
You’re correct. The detergent bottle actually attached to the end of the gun. I thought it attached from the bottom and supplied whatever attachment you used. I’m still curious about the original question though, because if it makes sense I’ll spray under there occasionally with the detergent attachment and rinse with the undercarriage washer.
I actually ran across an ad in my inbox for something called a Downstream Injector (I know, creepy how they spy on you). It's basically a way to inject something like a detergent in to the pressure stream. So I could use one of those with the undercarriage washer, although from my searching there doesn't seem to be much in the way of options for the undercarriage short of typical degreasers. That's probably because it's not necessary. I'd also be worried about getting detergent in to areas that I couldn't rinse thoroughly.

Sponsored

Punjabi New Yorker

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Mahindra Thar (in India) - 2.5L Diesel, 4x4, 5 spd Manual ; 2020 JLU Rubicon (in USA) - 3.6 Gas with 8 Speed Automatic
Occupation
Family business in India and USA (dual citizen of both)
I got a new pressure washer today and it has a bottle for detergent, which got me thinking about whether plain water is best for an undercarriage wash or if some kind of added agent would help neutralize salt and other corrosive elements. I drive on the beach often so I use a pressure washer with one of those undercarriage washing attachments that rolls under the vehicle. I've just been using straight water from the garden hose. Has anybody here researched undercarriage detergents? I have read that using a citrus based cleaner is a good idea, but I haven't seen any specific product recommendations. Thanks.
Was going to wash my Undercarriage today using a Garden Hose and Ajax Soap. Going to put Fluid Film on it tomorrow to prepare the Jeep for Winter. Think I will be ok with that, right?

Took the Jeep to the Car Wash today and I was not too happy about the quality of their undercarriage washing. Guess I will be doing that myself. Was real happy otherwise with the quality of the wash.

OP
OP

Rufus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Was going to wash my Undercarriage today using a Garden Hose and Ajax Soap. Going to put Fluid Film on it tomorrow to prepare the Jeep for Winter. Think I will be ok with that, right?

Took the Jeep to the Car Wash today and I was not too happy about the quality of their undercarriage washing. Guess I will be doing that myself. Was real happy otherwise with the quality of the wash.
I use a rolling pressure washer attachment that I got from Amazon, it works pretty well. I will probably fluid film for the winter but I do a fair amount of beach driving and others here have had concerns about sand sticking to the fluid film.

Punjabi New Yorker

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Mahindra Thar (in India) - 2.5L Diesel, 4x4, 5 spd Manual ; 2020 JLU Rubicon (in USA) - 3.6 Gas with 8 Speed Automatic
Occupation
I use a rolling pressure washer attachment that I got from Amazon, it works pretty well. I will probably fluid film for the winter but I do a fair amount of beach driving and others here have had concerns about sand sticking to the fluid film.
Same here. This is why I waited till after Labor day for the fluid film. Don't think I will be doing any more beach driving till at least May of next year since I put the hard top back on last weekend. Will probably wash the undercarriage with a Garden Hose and Soap today after work and then put fluid film on it tomorrow. It is pretty easy to get underneath a stock JLUR with a hose versus other vehicles.

Punjabi New Yorker

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Washed underneath the Jeep today with a Garden Hose and some dishwashing soap. Took me close to two hours as I went after every nook and cranny I could from the front to the back! Now planning on using some fluid film on Monday. First time ever I will be doing this. Bought a 3 pack in spray form from Amazon.

Can anyone recommend guidance on fluid film do’s and dont’s? I was planning on using it from front all the way to the back minus the brake pads and rotors. Is it a problem if Fluid Film enters my engine area from the bottom? Should I be avoiding that area completely?

Sponsored

OP
OP

Rufus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Washed underneath the Jeep today with a Garden Hose and some dishwashing soap. Took me close to two hours as I went after every nook and cranny I could from the front to the back! Now planning on using some fluid film on Monday. First time ever I will be doing this. Bought a 3 pack in spray form from Amazon.

Can anyone recommend guidance on fluid film do’s and dont’s? I was planning on using it from front all the way to the back minus the brake pads and rotors. Is it a problem if Fluid Film enters my engine area from the bottom? Should I be avoiding that area completely?
They have some videos on their website that are helpful, although they use a pump sprayer and a lift.

Won’t sand stick to the fluid film once you’re on the beach again in the spring?

Punjabi New Yorker

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
They have some videos on their website that are helpful, although they use a pump sprayer and a lift.

Won’t sand stick to the fluid film once you’re on the beach again in the spring?
It will be off by then I have been told as fluid film is soluble in water. I will be washing the undercarriage again come May.

OP
OP

Rufus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
It will be off by then I have been told as fluid film is soluble in water. I will be washing the undercarriage again come May.
It may be water soluble but it doesn’t come off quite so easily with an undercarriage wash. You’ll see after you apply it.

I’ve read online many people who drive on the sand using it though.

Tiger1

First Name
Tiger
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUS, 2016 BMW 435

Punjabi New Yorker

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
I purchased this for my pressure washer & have used it multiple times with just water. Probably need at least a 2600 PSI pressure washer to get adequate pressure. Only takes 15 minutes. It seems to do a great job cleaning. Granted, I'm in the south so we're definitely not getting as much salt in the winter months as y'all up north...

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07K22DGRY/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1
How often do you pressure wash?
Sponsored