Sponsored

Under Hood Heat and Aftermarket Hoods

JLRyder

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUS
I have to believe that Jeep engineers considered the under hood heat when designing the JL and I’ve been working under a hood most of my life, but man I was totally surprised at how hot it was in there when I replaced my battery this week; I’m now convinced was cooked to a premature death (it was 3 years old, maybe I should be impressed it lasted that long).

So here is the question: I’m thinking of getting a new hood; is there an aftermarket vented hood that you folks have used that really works and is worth the time and money?

I see plenty of options, but would like to hear feedback from the owners in the real world using them.

Thanks!
Sponsored

jludave

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Unlimited Sport Altitude
Occupation
IT Manager
Vehicle Showcase
Clubs

I’m now convinced was cooked to a premature death (it was 3 years old, maybe I should be impressed it lasted that long).
That’s typical life of these batteries nowadays. It wasn’t anything to due with under hood heat.

Roky

First Name
Roky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
I have to believe that Jeep engineers considered the under hood heat when designing the JL and I’ve been working under a hood most of my life, but man I was totally surprised at how hot it was in there when I replaced my battery this week; I’m now convinced was cooked to a premature death (it was 3 years old, maybe I should be impressed it lasted that long).

So here is the question: I’m thinking of getting a new hood; is there an aftermarket vented hood that you folks have used that really works and is worth the time and money?

I see plenty of options, but would like to hear feedback from the owners in the real world using them.

Thanks!
The Rubi hood, along with the fender lights is the 2 things I like about the JL that sets it apart . That’s why even though I chopped my fenders, I kept the lights (AAL light kit brace ) so if I decide to vent the hood I’ll probably go with Poison Spyder Rubi hood louvers.

Last edited:

TOTL Innovations

Rock Sponsor (Level 1)
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.totlinnovations.com
Vehicle(s)
2008 JK
Some would consider this tin foil hat talk, but auto manufacturers dont really care about building a car that will last for decades anymore. Higher engine bay tempts mean hotter cylinder temps which equates to better atomization resulting in cleaner emissions. This comes at the cost of shorter lifespan on components which is greater revenue post sale as well as a shorter duration until you purchase another vehicle.

OEM opinions aside, I hope you have taken a look at our JL H.E.R.O. Hood. We put an immense amount of engineering into our design to not only help cool the engine bay, but also allow your engine to breathe better.

Sponsored

TOTL Innovations

Rock Sponsor (Level 1)
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.totlinnovations.com
Vehicle(s)
2008 JK
This doesn't make sense from an emissions stand point. EGR is implemented to reduce combustion temps reducing emissions.
Sorry I was referring to cylinder wall temps which help with better atomization. Also means higher ring gear temps for better sealing and higher viscosity of fluids throughout the engine. There is a bunch of info out there on this.

DHW

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon
Occupation
Attorney
If you have a Rubicon you can get these S&B hood scoops and not have to get a new hood. I had them for a while but went back to stock as I wasn't sure about the look. That said I'm considering putting them back on. When I would park, there would be a ridiculous amount of heat coming out of the scoops. If not connected to the intake, they are just two scoops pulling a bunch of cooler air into the engine bay. Not too expensive either.

Jeep Wrangler JL Under Hood Heat and Aftermarket Hoods 1624564797596

Sydwaiz

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLURD, 73 CJ-5
If you have a Rubicon you can get these S&B hood scoops and not have to get a new hood. I had them for a while but went back to stock as I wasn't sure about the look. That said I'm considering putting them back on. When I would park, there would be a ridiculous amount of heat coming out of the scoops. If not connected to the intake, they are just two scoops pulling a bunch of cooler air into the engine bay. Not too expensive either.

Jeep Wrangler JL Under Hood Heat and Aftermarket Hoods 1624564797596
The wife just put those on her diesel. She likes them. I just drove from L.A. to Vegas but couldn't tell if they did anything or not. It was 115 outside so I couldn't tell the difference anyway!
Sponsored