Sponsored

UNcracked windshield club

iznthesky

First Name
Edgar
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep JL Rubicon & 2004 Jeep TJ. Previously owned 1993 Cherokee, 1980 CJ5, & M151A2 while in the Military. For the love of Jeeps !
What I know is I have been driving since 1978. Previously I have had 3 cracked windshields in all the cars I have driven over the years. I have a brand spanking new19 jl w/two cracks in 1st week of ownership. And the safelite repair person said that 18 & 19 jl jeeps are the only jeeps they really deal with. Told me specifically about an 18 jl that has had 9 windshields replaced in a year. Show me data that says they aren't defective. What I do know is you can look all over this forum, & there are alot of jl's with the problem... I had a jk that never had the issue.. so yeh, I Believe jeep jl has a problem. And my past experiance with cars and this new jeep says there is a problem. You have the right to disagree, I respect that. But you won't convince me as I'm sure I won't change your mind either. And I don't appreciate you basically calling me stupid..
Sorry....I don't have the experience that you do. I am asking to see the data...and some safelite repair person....is NOT data. Again. These wind shields must meet DOT safety standards....just like other cars windshields. Of course like others have mentioned; the fact that the Jeep has a more up-right windshield...rather than a swept back windshield makes the jeep windshield more prone to a strike that will result in a chip / crack.....rather than glancing off of a swept back windshield. I am not denying that there could be a problem....as I have been wrong before on several occasions ...but I prefer to be educated...rather than talking nonsense that I have no facts to back it up. It was not my intent for you to feel offended......facts are facts. I would like to see the data and learn...but my feelings...and your feelings are NOT relevent to the discussion.
Sponsored

kms

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Unlimited Sahara
Sorry....I don't have the experience that you do. I am asking to see the data...and some safelite repair person....is NOT data. Again. These wind shields must meet DOT safety standards....just like other cars windshields. Of course like others have mentioned; the fact that the Jeep has a more up-right windshield...rather than a swept back windshield makes the jeep windshield more prone to a strike that will result in a chip / crack.....rather than glancing off of a swept back windshield. I am not denying that there could be a problem....as I have been wrong before on several occasions ...but I prefer to be educated...rather than talking nonsense that I have no facts to back it up. It was not my intent for you to feel offended......facts are facts. I would like to see the data and learn...but my feelings...and your feelings are NOT relevent to the discussion.
1. The experience of people who work daily on windshield repairs and replacement is actually about as good a set of data as anyone could be expected to provide in these forums. Until their is litigation and discovery, what “data” are you looking for that is available to the public?

2. You said yourself you have no idea what standards/testing are required of windshields. Yet, you simultaneously argue that the meeting of such standards indicates there can’t be a “defect.” This makes no sense. Plus, if the mere meeting of existing standards were all that mattered, there would never be a recall. Yet, we know there are recalls. And there are lawsuits finding design and manufacturing defects.

3. Acting like the other post was just sharing emotions is insulting to him and everyone else sharing their experiences. You say you want data, but each time someone shares a data point, you insult them for having not compiled all the data for you?! Nonsense. All you want is to criticize people because you’ve made up your mind that there isn’t a real issue and all of us are just whining. If you truly want to be educated, stop attacking those who are sharing their experiences and real world information with you. If you will only settle for scientific studies, maybe you should actually do one instead of talking down to the rest of us you know have no ability to give you that.

Tfom

First Name
Terence
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara
I've had 5 Wranglers, most of which had a chips that I fixed right away and never had issues with the windshield cracking.

On the JL a rock chipped my window on the way to our first offroad park with it. We pulled over and I purchased a DIY fix kit and applied it while the wife and kids had a long lunch. Still no issues, and if you asked me today where it happened I wouldn't be able to point it out. I now carry a kit with me everywhere I go.

Most Jeeps that come into the shop have chipped or cracked windshields. I don't for one second think it's cheap glass, just the angle of the windshields making them more prone to damage.
Is there one you recommend, or it doesn't matter? Mine got a chip the day after I replaced it. Not to be a negative Nancy.
For Phoenix people stay off the 10 near the 202 construction, both problems happened there. Hopeful it is a one time thing. Thankfully AZ has a zero deductible for windshields

wranglerguyman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Rubicon
After posting an update here, caught multiple rocks straight at the windshield BUT nothing cracked. It just left a couple of micro chips so I guess I am still a part of the club. :whew:

iznthesky

First Name
Edgar
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep JL Rubicon & 2004 Jeep TJ. Previously owned 1993 Cherokee, 1980 CJ5, & M151A2 while in the Military. For the love of Jeeps !
1. The experience of people who work daily on windshield repairs and replacement is actually about as good a set of data as anyone could be expected to provide in these forums. Until their is litigation and discovery, what “data” are you looking for that is available to the public?

2. You said yourself you have no idea what standards/testing are required of windshields. Yet, you simultaneously argue that the meeting of such standards indicates there can’t be a “defect.” This makes no sense. Plus, if the mere meeting of existing standards were all that mattered, there would never be a recall. Yet, we know there are recalls. And there are lawsuits finding design and manufacturing defects.

3. Acting like the other post was just sharing emotions is insulting to him and everyone else sharing their experiences. You say you want data, but each time someone shares a data point, you insult them for having not compiled all the data for you?! Nonsense. All you want is to criticize people because you’ve made up your mind that there isn’t a real issue and all of us are just whining. If you truly want to be educated, stop attacking those who are sharing their experiences and real world information with you. If you will only settle for scientific studies, maybe you should actually do one instead of talking down to the rest of us you know have no ability to give you that.
1 Let me apologize if you feel offended. I was not my intent. If you are reading or feeling frustration from my words..its not towards our jeep community....its directly related to the events that I specifically describe in my thread. My spouse and I both drive the same routes daily (for the last 20 years) and she has had countless windshields replaced...most of them that I pay for. I have had zero cracks or chips.
2. I have NO scientific evidence to offer. I do have 6 children who agree that her unsafe driving habits contribute to her (multiple) accidents and her broken windshields. They are uncomfortable as passengers with her. As far as Windshield Repairmen offering you good data.....well they will tell you, what ever; makes you feel better.....they are selling you a product. Is their product superior to the OEM Windshield ?
3 Sharing everyone else experiences...and I feel sorry for those who have experienced any defect in their new Jeep JL...does not constitute a wide spread "Defects" I am not criticizing people. I am someone who is paying for my (hers) broken windshields. I am not filing insurance claims....or criticizing JEEP windshields. I am standing up and doing whats should be done. NO two events involving a windshield strike that results in a chip/crack are the same. Every event should be honestly evaluated....especially if your paying for it. Unless you simply don't care about he money. I am so not so wealthy that I can continue to pay for windshields without trying to figure why....after the 2nd or 3rd one....why they continue to get broken? I have to evaluate and learn what contributes to the event. What I am trying to say is we CANNOT simply blame Jeep by saying it has installed "Defective Windshields".

Reactions: Lar

Sponsored

303rider

First Name
Soleil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon JLU
Vehicle Showcase
First week in new 2018 JLUR, Turned the defroster on and BANG. Windshield cracked.I think they have a recall on their hands.

kms

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Unlimited Sahara
First week in new 2018 JLUR, Turned the defroster on and BANG. Windshield cracked.I think they have a recall on their hands.
That sucks. Sorry to hear it. Lower middle area, I assume?

303rider

First Name
Soleil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon JLU
Vehicle Showcase
That sucks. Sorry to hear it. Lower middle area, I assume?
Yes. It is crazy to me that you can even guess where it happened and Jeep has told me "Glass is not covered".

kms

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Unlimited Sahara
Yes. It is crazy to me that you can even guess where it happened and Jeep has told me "Glass is not covered".
Yeah. The defrost blows too much concentrated hot air on too small of a spot on what seems to also be a fragile windshield. It’s silly how many people are reporting similar incidents.

They denied mine, too. Dealership said they’d get it replaced for a little over $400.

These things can take time, but I do predict some sort of class action and/or recall activity. The problem with the recall is that I don’t know exactly what the solution is to the defrost issue — limit it to low defrost? Seems lame.

Sponsored

nerubi

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLR, 2020 VW Tiguan
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
Yeah. The defrost blows too much concentrated hot air on too small of a spot on what seems to also be a fragile windshield. It’s silly how many people are reporting similar incidents.

They denied mine, too. Dealership said they’d get it replaced for a little over $400.

These things can take time, but I do predict some sort of class action and/or recall activity. The problem with the recall is that I don’t know exactly what the solution is to the defrost issue — limit it to low defrost? Seems lame.
Why not do like many of us have done and buy the plugs for the defroster outlet that moves much of the air to the sides of the windshield. More uniform windshield coverage and less icing.
I find that if I tape several layers of waxed paper to the windshield I don't get any rock chips or breaks.

kms

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Unlimited Sahara
Why not do like many of us have done and buy the plugs for the defroster outlet that moves much of the air to the sides of the windshield. More uniform windshield coverage and less icing.
I find that if I tape several layers of waxed paper to the windshield I don't get any rock chips or breaks.
I’m not familiar with these plugs. Does FCA’s warranty cover them (tongue in cheek)?

I’m not sure what to make of the waxed paper comment. Lol.

nerubi

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLR, 2020 VW Tiguan
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
I can't remember the name of the thread about them but most have commented on the high air volume and heat just in the middle and none on the end which leads to the windshields on each side and icing the wipers. This was common on JKs also. Someone found square vinyl furniture feet protectors that fit perfectly in the defrost opening and it directs the air more towards each side. Works pretty well for about $5.
The wax paper refers to a picture I posted showing several tablets, radios and phones across my dash so you can't see out the windshield because I chose the autonomous driving option on my order and the discussion of gorilla windshields available for the Wrangler that help prevent windshield damage (it appears they have a film on them) but I thought wax paper maybe just as effective.
IMG_20190221_092748.jpg

Reactions: kms

RERAIL

First Name
Kell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU SPORT
Occupation
Retired Law Enforcement
Had a small rock hit the windshield pretty hard yesterday. No crack. Not even a mark. The rock hit the lower middle just at the height of the windshield wipers. Weather was clear and dry. Temperature was 45 degrees. My speed 50 mph. JLU Sport. Built late August 2018.

Over 7,000 miles to date. And it’s perfect. Had it off road twice so far.

Si mon

First Name
rK
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep JL Sport S 2 dr.
Occupation
Retired
There are a lot of threads about cracked windshields that make it seem like Jeep is using junk for the glass on Wranglers. Potential shoppers may be turned off by this.

Let's start a thread for those of us who have no issues with the windshield. Post your positive experiences.

For me:

1992 YJ - Have no idea how many miles, never cracked a windshield

2011 JKU - Never cracked a windshield in a full year of driving all over the Ohio Valley region

2012 JKU - Never had a crack, even running large tires with negative offset wheels at the offroad parks within a 4 hour radius of my house and lots of highway travel

2018 JLU - Coming up on 11,000 miles with no chips or cracks. There's a rock quarry 1.8 miles from my house. Dump trucks everywhere. 4 lane highways, interstates, county roads, etc.

The windshields in the Wranglers seem just fine to me.
What is the point of your post? Stuff happens but the frequency of windshield cracks has a lot to do with the design/angle of the Jeep windshield itself. A rock or pebble hits it flat on. You sound like you were lucky but that is neither here nor there for those of us who have had to replace our windshields through no fault of our own, some several times. I never had to replace the windshield in my 2016 Wrangler in the 3 years I owned it. 'Took delivery on a 2020 and 30 minutes after leaving the dealership a rock hit and it cracked. This is life my friend but the design of the windshield (it's angle) IS problematic and increases the chance of breakage. This is old news by the way.
Sponsored