WXman

WXman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Unlimited
Occupation
Meteorology and Transportation
Let's stay on track here so we don't have to ask the moderators to clean this thread up.
Sponsored

HealthRebel

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLRU Ocean Blue
There are a lot of threads about cracked windshields that make it seem like Jeep is using junk for the glass on Wranglers. Potential shoppers may be turned off by this.

Let's start a thread for those of us who have no issues with the windshield. Post your positive experiences.

For me:

1992 YJ - Have no idea how many miles, never cracked a windshield

2011 JKU - Never cracked a windshield in a full year of driving all over the Ohio Valley region

2012 JKU - Never had a crack, even running large tires with negative offset wheels at the offroad parks within a 4 hour radius of my house and lots of highway travel

2018 JLU - Coming up on 11,000 miles with no chips or cracks. There's a rock quarry 1.8 miles from my house. Dump trucks everywhere. 4 lane highways, interstates, county roads, etc.

The windshields in the Wranglers seem just fine to me.
Great topic. I currently have a 2013 Mini Cooper Sport that I am getting ready to turn back in after a 3 year lease. A new (2018-2019) Rubicon UL is in my sights. I have previously owned a 2002 and 2012 Rubicon. The windshield on my Mini is very thin. I have 3 noticeable chips, as well as a repair and several areas where the windshield is really pitted. In the 30 vehicles I have owned, the Mini has the WORST windshield of all. But... sounds like I will have to deal with the same issue on the Wrangler. The fact that Jeep increased (improved) the angle of the windshield, getting rock chips should have decreased because the rock is hitting the glass at a less perpendicular angle. But, with cracked windshields being reported now as an increased incident, this leaves only one logical conclusion: the windshield is made with thinner glass to cut down on overall weight. Not sure if the few gallons of gas we save over the life of the vehicle with a lighter windshield is offset by the additional costs of replacing and/or repairing several windshields. It saves money for Jeep, but not for the owners.

HealthRebel

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLRU Ocean Blue
I've had 5 Wranglers, most of which had a chips that I fixed right away and never had issues with the windshield cracking.

On the JL a rock chipped my window on the way to our first offroad park with it. We pulled over and I purchased a DIY fix kit and applied it while the wife and kids had a long lunch. Still no issues, and if you asked me today where it happened I wouldn't be able to point it out. I now carry a kit with me everywhere I go.

Most Jeeps that come into the shop have chipped or cracked windshields. I don't for one second think it's cheap glass, just the angle of the windshields making them more prone to damage.
It's thinner glass to save weight. The new, increased angle of the windshield would normally reduce the chance of damage because whatever strikes the windshield is doing so at a less than perpendicular angle. It would be hitting the windshield at more of a glancing blow VS an almost direct hit from a windshield that is more vertical. I am not saying they are using "cheaper" glass, but you can bet the farm they are trimming weight where they can and have opted for a 'thinner" glass. No doubt there!

zjaw

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Jeep rubacon
Having mine replaced today. It broke with about 10,000 on it.

Skeethree

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLURe, 2022 Rav4 Prime, 2020 Highlande Hybrid
Occupation
Architect
My JLUR is Jeep #32. Started with a ‘75 CJ-5 brand new. In all those years and vehicles, I had one cracked C.J.-7 windshield that I replaced myself (only broke one trying to put it in) and a couple of stone chips in JKs. I probably drove 500,000 combined milestone in those Jeeps, and never noticed any differences in the windshields. They are pretty vertical, and the force of a stone is transferred to a much greater degree when it can’t deflect. Gotta live with some things for the honor of driving a Jeep.

Sponsored

iznthesky

First Name
Edgar
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep JL Rubicon & 2004 Jeep TJ. Previously owned 1993 Cherokee, 1980 CJ5, & M151A2 while in the Military. For the love of Jeeps !
04 TJ; 98K, never had any rock chips or cracks
18 JL; 7K, No cracks or chips.

I believe driving style has much to do with the probability of stone strikes on your windshield. My wife drives the same route that I do...at the same hours and she experiences regular stone strikes that result in cracked windshield...and chips that inevitably turn into large cracks.
She drives faster and follows other cars closer than I find comfortable.
My theory is that it’s her driving style that contributes to the odds of a stone strike causing a cracked windshield. This has been consistent within the last 17 years.

timn1984

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler Unlimited 2018 JL Sahara,Dodge Journey 2012, Toyota Camry 2015
Occupation
Yes
Vehicle Showcase
It’s kind of funny seeing all the different angles people take to excuse/defend the manufacturer on this issue.

After my windshield cracked yesterday, at just under 200 miles, I stumbled upon this forum and the voluminous posts about JL’s windshields in particular seeming to be particularly brittle. Then I noticed you have several camps of people that basically are telling everyone to suck it up.

1. Some chalk it up to it being “a Jeep thing.” It’s fine if some people want to live with such an issue, because it makes them feel like they are part of a club. But (a) that doesn’t mean it isn’t a problem; (b) it doesn’t explain why Jeep doesn’t tell people this when they buy; and (c) it doesn’t address the apparent changes to the glass used and what appear to be worse problems of late.

2. This thread, strangely, seems to be trying to convince buyers that the easily-cracked glass thing isn’t a Jeep thing at all. Frankly, I don’t understand the purpose of such a thread. It now seems very clear that most on this forum, at the very least, recognize there is a significantly increased probability of getting a cracked windshield, in same-style paved-road driving, when driving a Jeep Wrangler.

3. A pretty substantial subset seems to think it’s all OK because you can just pay more for comprehensive insurance with a lower or no deductible and replace the windshield like it’s an oil change. Most people really don’t want to deal with that hassle, even if this forum is home to many who don’t mind. Plus, that does cost money (USAA told me $114/year to go to zero deductible today) and, at some point that will likely go up once claims experience increases and USAA’s actuaries have to account for all of that. Even if they don’t raise your rates individually (which they could start doing), that doesn’t mean comprehensive premiums aren’t going up globally. Bottom line — these aren’t actually free windshields. Someone is paying for them, even if you are OK spreading that cost (somewhat) to other insureds for now.

4. Just get Gorilla Glass. This has been sprinkled in here and there. First, I have no way of knowing whether the anticipated Gorilla Glass Mopar windshield will address the brittleness issue. Second, I am puzzled why anyone making a windshield would think it a positive marketing strategy to focus on using the same technology as any cell phone device. Third, it still isn’t available. Finally, and perhaps most importantly, I can’t help thinking that part of the reason it still isn’t available is that the lawyers at FCA/Mopar are (a) worried it will be evidence of a design defect with the glass JLs currently get; and (b) aware that the lead engineer, in an attempt to convince everyone the windshields are just fine, made a defensive promotional video saying the Gorilla Glass probably would give no benefit over existing glass (this was in August — oops! Sorry, Mopar — we can’t really start rolling out a product that probably gives no benefit, can we?).

I know that some people are A-OK with everything, no matter what. But I can’t understand trying to convince prospective buyers that the windshields DON’T crack easily or very often. Kinda seems deceptive, honestly. Even the engineer in the video didn’t try to say that. He just sidestepped the issue by saying Goeilla Glass probably won’t help.

Just my 2 cents.
No its not OK to have a cracked windshield is the probable response from most people on this forum, (OK so I really cannot speak for anyone actually), well to rephrase that, I think that you buy the Wrangler for its looks and iconic features NO other car/truck has and not for its potential for the windshield to crack.
"Some chalk it up to it being “a Jeep thing.”- Noone on this forum is doing this..... You need to look at the shape of the jeep and the straight up windshield and the law of physics takes over. Its just more prone to rocks hitting it. And as far as the Jeep people having to tell you that "Hey your windshield may get cracked more often than any other car on the road", well this is just nonsense because why does someone have to tell you that cars with straight-up windshields have a problem with the windshields cracking? And I know NOTHING about Gorrilla glass so I cannot comment. Just my 3 cents.....

RubiHella

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 Jeep jl Rubicon, 15 Mustang Eco, 00 SS Camaro, 04 Honda RC51
Occupation
Retired
04 TJ; 98K, never had any rock chips or cracks
18 JL; 7K, No cracks or chips.

I believe driving style has much to do with the probability of stone strikes on your windshield. My wife drives the same route that I do...at the same hours and she experiences regular stone strikes that result in cracked windshield...and chips that inevitably turn into large cracks.
She drives faster and follows other cars closer than I find comfortable.
My theory is that it’s her driving style that contributes to the odds of a stone strike causing a cracked windshield. This has been consistent within the last 17 years.
I disagree. I had a 16 Hard Rock jku, took off road many times as well as on road driving in NV. Never so much as a scratch/crack. And my off roading was usually following another 4x4. Have had my 19 six days. 1st crack occurred w/less than 200 miles on it. 2nd one happened today, One I can chaik up to shit happens. 2 w/less then 500 miles and in a week of driving off the lot. Thats a defect in the windshield.

iznthesky

First Name
Edgar
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep JL Rubicon & 2004 Jeep TJ. Previously owned 1993 Cherokee, 1980 CJ5, & M151A2 while in the Military. For the love of Jeeps !
I disagree. I had a 16 Hard Rock jku, took off road many times as well as on road driving in NV. Never so much as a scratch/crack. And my off roading was usually following another 4x4. Have had my 19 six days. 1st crack occurred w/less than 200 miles on it. 2nd one happened today, One I can chaik up to shit happens. 2 w/less then 500 miles and in a week of driving off the lot. Thats a defect in the windshield.
Disagree if you wish. I prefaced my thread with "I believe.....and....My Theory" along with why I believed what I wrote. I have my full size truck 20 years old, my corvette, 10 years old, Jeep TJ 15 years old and my new JL. NONE with cracked windshields !
Truck over 275K, Car 50K, TJ 100K and JL 7.5 K. a lot of driving. If your theory is correct; I have avoided the chit happens chance quite a bit....and I am probably over due for my own chip or crack.....BUT I am only posting my experience, and my driving habits vs my spouses driving habits and her results with cracked windshields. In many cases she has had a repeated crack within weeks of a new windshield being installed. Again this leads me to believe it as something to do with her driving style......rather than chalking it up to "chit happens"

If you were armed with this information and it was you who was paying for the repairs....you most certainly would be looking at the data more closely and not simply paying out money....thoughtlessly thinking "chit happens".

You cannot blame the WindShield design. If what you say is true and you believe that the windshield is defective.....show us the data: Jeep windshield impacts vs other brand impacts...and the resulting damage.
Really.....Who is going to build a windshield that is going to meet the NHTSA standards and be Crack-Proof.....at a reasonable cost?

Stuff does indeed happen. But when you have an opportunity to examine events more closely, you sometimes learn a thing or two along the way and an educated person does NOT accept the simple excuse of "chit happens"

wv18jl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL
Glass breaks.
Of all the ones listed below only one had a broken windshield.
CJ windshield covered in ice ... bumped it Gently with fist.
Craaaaaaaack ...:swear:

Sponsored

RubiHella

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 Jeep jl Rubicon, 15 Mustang Eco, 00 SS Camaro, 04 Honda RC51
Occupation
Retired
Disagree if you wish. I prefaced my thread with "I believe.....and....My Theory" along with why I believed what I wrote. I have my full size truck 20 years old, my corvette, 10 years old, Jeep TJ 15 years old and my new JL. NONE with cracked windshields !
Truck over 275K, Car 50K, TJ 100K and JL 7.5 K. a lot of driving. If your theory is correct; I have avoided the chit happens chance quite a bit....and I am probably over due for my own chip or crack.....BUT I am only posting my experience, and my driving habits vs my spouses driving habits and her results with cracked windshields. In many cases she has had a repeated crack within weeks of a new windshield being installed. Again this leads me to believe it as something to do with her driving style......rather than chalking it up to "chit happens"

If you were armed with this information and it was you who was paying for the repairs....you most certainly would be looking at the data more closely and not simply paying out money....thoughtlessly thinking "chit happens".

You cannot blame the WindShield design. If what you say is true and you believe that the windshield is defective.....show us the data: Jeep windshield impacts vs other brand impacts...and the resulting damage.
Really.....Who is going to build a windshield that is going to meet the NHTSA standards and be Crack-Proof.....at a reasonable cost?

Stuff does indeed happen. But when you have an opportunity to examine events more closely, you sometimes learn a thing or two along the way and an educated person does NOT accept the simple excuse of "chit happens"
What I know is I have been driving since 1978. Previously I have had 3 cracked windshields in all the cars I have driven over the years. I have a brand spanking new19 jl w/two cracks in 1st week of ownership. And the safelite repair person said that 18 & 19 jl jeeps are the only jeeps they really deal with. Told me specifically about an 18 jl that has had 9 windshields replaced in a year. Show me data that says they aren't defective. What I do know is you can look all over this forum, & there are alot of jl's with the problem... I had a jk that never had the issue.. so yeh, I Believe jeep jl has a problem. And my past experiance with cars and this new jeep says there is a problem. You have the right to disagree, I respect that. But you won't convince me as I'm sure I won't change your mind either. And I don't appreciate you basically calling me stupid..

BillG

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Sting Gray JLUR / 15 Harley Tri glide / 50 Dodge Rat pickup
I’m not sure what standard the glass had to meet, but as long as it passed, I don’t see how it could be officially called a defect. I do think they thinned it down for weight to meet fuel economy goals, and that’s the problem.

kms

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Unlimited Sahara
No its not OK to have a cracked windshield is the probable response from most people on this forum, (OK so I really cannot speak for anyone actually), well to rephrase that, I think that you buy the Wrangler for its looks and iconic features NO other car/truck has and not for its potential for the windshield to crack.
"Some chalk it up to it being “a Jeep thing.”- Noone on this forum is doing this..... You need to look at the shape of the jeep and the straight up windshield and the law of physics takes over. Its just more prone to rocks hitting it. And as far as the Jeep people having to tell you that "Hey your windshield may get cracked more often than any other car on the road", well this is just nonsense because why does someone have to tell you that cars with straight-up windshields have a problem with the windshields cracking? And I know NOTHING about Gorrilla glass so I cannot comment. Just my 3 cents.....
No offense, sir, but I’ve read a ton of posts on here chalking this up to being a Jeep thing. In fact, I even put your post in that category.

The JL’s windshield is not vertical, and it’s less vertical than other Wrangler designs.

The problem isn’t just that it gets chipped, either. It’s that the chip becomes a huge crack in moments. Just today, I had to use the defrost and mine grew about another eight inches. Driving under 40 the whole time. It’s silly.

You can talk “laws of physics” all you want, but the truth is there probably aren’t three people on these forums that actually have a real understanding of the properties of the glass used in these windshields at different temperatures, wind angles, etc. Even if YOU were such a person, which I doubt, that doesn’t mean the typical Jeep buyer signs up for this.

timn1984

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler Unlimited 2018 JL Sahara,Dodge Journey 2012, Toyota Camry 2015
Occupation
Yes
Vehicle Showcase
No offense, sir, but I’ve read a ton of posts on here chalking this up to being a Jeep thing. In fact, I even put your post in that category.

The JL’s windshield is not vertical, and it’s less vertical than other Wrangler designs.

The problem isn’t just that it gets chipped, either. It’s that the chip becomes a huge crack in moments. Just today, I had to use the defrost and mine grew about another eight inches. Driving under 40 the whole time. It’s silly.

You can talk “laws of physics” all you want, but the truth is there probably aren’t three people on these forums that actually have a real understanding of the properties of the glass used in these windshields at different temperatures, wind angles, etc. Even if YOU were such a person, which I doubt, that doesn’t mean the typical Jeep buyer signs up for this.
So I guess what I'm hearing you say is that Jeep uses cheap glass on their windsheilds and they don't put a disclaimer when you buy one, and I totally agree with you. And you are right, I don't pretend to know anything about the properties of these windshields. But if they put bullet-proof glass on every Jeep Wrangler, that would probably price them out of the market. I know it sounds like I am content with my broken winshield, but I'm not actually. However, if enough people complain, then something may get done. Thank you for the spirited discussion sir!

kms

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Unlimited Sahara
So I guess what I'm hearing you say is that Jeep uses cheap glass on their windsheilds and they don't put a disclaimer when you buy one, and I totally agree with you. And you are right, I don't pretend to know anything about the properties of these windshields. But if they put bullet-proof glass on every Jeep Wrangler, that would probably price them out of the market. I know it sounds like I am content with my broken winshield, but I'm not actually. However, if enough people complain, then something may get done. Thank you for the spirited discussion sir!
Right now, the best I can say is that it seems like the glass combined with an overly-center-focused defrost have been causing a lot more problems than there should be.

Here are a couple pictures of my cracked windshield, the one going over to the left is the new portion added today. I kinda figured it would grow today, but couldn’t drive around with an iced up windshield.

9EABAD28-F03A-4A58-A4DD-48502E91B701.jpeg

412688D5-9A5F-46EB-ACE9-B96A0EAE582D.jpeg
Sponsored