Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sahara
Occupation
Gas Pipeliner
Vehicle Showcase
I have almost 13k on my JLU Sahara that I got at the end of April last year and have not a single issue with any of the windows :like:
Sponsored

kms

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Unlimited Sahara
I have almost 13k on my JLU Sahara that I got at the end of April last year and have not a single issue with any of the windows :like:
The crazy thing is that this seems noteworthy/reason to celebrate.

WranglerMan

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sahara
Occupation
Gas Pipeliner
Vehicle Showcase
The crazy thing is that this seems noteworthy/reason to celebrate.
Here in Houston it is as there is a ton of crap that is on these roads that get kicked out from under Big Rigs

Reactions: kms

JeepU4IA

First Name
Rod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Dodge Charger R/T, 2018 Jeep Wrangler JLU
This thread seems to have backfired nicely. :clap: No comment regarding my windshield. ;)

Covet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 JLUR, 22 392, 22 4xe JLUR sold x3, 24 392
9k and some change miles here. Recently drove 1,400 miles round trip to visit ma. Windshield was just fine until i got back to Colorado... i swear the DOT trucks load up with whatever things can chip and break windshields during the winter here. Was back home for a week, turned on my defroster and crack, crack, crack. Went from under drivers windshild wiper to my t-Rex sticker and Willies back to the dash and from that same point left to the side. Now where it breaks towards the driver side it decided to crack on the crack and started going north... I would love to think/blame this on Jeep installing garbage @ss windshields, but Having begin in CO since 99 i have replaced multiple windshields.

Sponsored

kms

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Unlimited Sahara
I would love to think/blame this on Jeep installing garbage @ss windshields, but Having begin in CO since 99 i have replaced multiple windshields.
Good news! It could be a little of both!

Janne

First Name
Janet
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR Ocean Blue , ā€˜96 BMW 328i Convertible
Iā€™ve owned mine since the end of December, 2500 miles. No cracks, but a few huge scratches on the factory Gorilla glass passenger side from a huge amount of slush with lots of sand after a storm. Couldnā€™t see, had to use the wipers. Iā€™m waiting until spring to get it fixed.

Last edited:

Eloib

First Name
Eloi
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Unlimited Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase
The jinx is real. Windshield cracked this morning when warming up the car to get the ice out. Lmao!!! self jinxing the crap out of myself. Guess I deserved it lol.

Eloib

First Name
Eloi
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Unlimited Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase
9k and some change miles here. Recently drove 1,400 miles round trip to visit ma. Windshield was just fine until i got back to Colorado... i swear the DOT trucks load up with whatever things can chip and break windshields during the winter here. Was back home for a week, turned on my defroster and crack, crack, crack. Went from under drivers windshild wiper to my t-Rex sticker and Willies back to the dash and from that same point left to the side. Now where it breaks towards the driver side it decided to crack on the crack and started going north... I would love to think/blame this on Jeep installing garbage @ss windshields, but Having begin in CO since 99 i have replaced multiple windshields.
This is exactly what happened to me. The crack is on the main area where the windshield defroster blasts most of its air (center of windshield, lower part)

word302

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU
Itā€™s kind of funny seeing all the different angles people take to excuse/defend the manufacturer on this issue.

After my windshield cracked yesterday, at just under 200 miles, I stumbled upon this forum and the voluminous posts about JLā€™s windshields in particular seeming to be particularly brittle. Then I noticed you have several camps of people that basically are telling everyone to suck it up.

1. Some chalk it up to it being ā€œa Jeep thing.ā€ Itā€™s fine if some people want to live with such an issue, because it makes them feel like they are part of a club. But (a) that doesnā€™t mean it isnā€™t a problem; (b) it doesnā€™t explain why Jeep doesnā€™t tell people this when they buy; and (c) it doesnā€™t address the apparent changes to the glass used and what appear to be worse problems of late.

2. This thread, strangely, seems to be trying to convince buyers that the easily-cracked glass thing isnā€™t a Jeep thing at all. Frankly, I donā€™t understand the purpose of such a thread. It now seems very clear that most on this forum, at the very least, recognize there is a significantly increased probability of getting a cracked windshield, in same-style paved-road driving, when driving a Jeep Wrangler.

3. A pretty substantial subset seems to think itā€™s all OK because you can just pay more for comprehensive insurance with a lower or no deductible and replace the windshield like itā€™s an oil change. Most people really donā€™t want to deal with that hassle, even if this forum is home to many who donā€™t mind. Plus, that does cost money (USAA told me $114/year to go to zero deductible today) and, at some point that will likely go up once claims experience increases and USAAā€™s actuaries have to account for all of that. Even if they donā€™t raise your rates individually (which they could start doing), that doesnā€™t mean comprehensive premiums arenā€™t going up globally. Bottom line ā€” these arenā€™t actually free windshields. Someone is paying for them, even if you are OK spreading that cost (somewhat) to other insureds for now.

4. Just get Gorilla Glass. This has been sprinkled in here and there. First, I have no way of knowing whether the anticipated Gorilla Glass Mopar windshield will address the brittleness issue. Second, I am puzzled why anyone making a windshield would think it a positive marketing strategy to focus on using the same technology as any cell phone device. Third, it still isnā€™t available. Finally, and perhaps most importantly, I canā€™t help thinking that part of the reason it still isnā€™t available is that the lawyers at FCA/Mopar are (a) worried it will be evidence of a design defect with the glass JLs currently get; and (b) aware that the lead engineer, in an attempt to convince everyone the windshields are just fine, made a defensive promotional video saying the Gorilla Glass probably would give no benefit over existing glass (this was in August ā€” oops! Sorry, Mopar ā€” we canā€™t really start rolling out a product that probably gives no benefit, can we?).

I know that some people are A-OK with everything, no matter what. But I canā€™t understand trying to convince prospective buyers that the windshields DONā€™T crack easily or very often. Kinda seems deceptive, honestly. Even the engineer in the video didnā€™t try to say that. He just sidestepped the issue by saying Goeilla Glass probably wonā€™t help.

Just my 2 cents.
How many vehicles have you driven with an upright windshield? Do you understand the physics of such?

Sponsored

SmoothJeepOperator

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Wrangler Sport
The jinx is real. Windshield cracked this morning when warming up the car to get the ice out. Lmao!!! self jinxing the crap out of myself. Guess I deserved it lol.
Great! I guess i can expect a crack any minute now. The way i figure it I'm on borrowed time. like that guy that lives to be 106... every minute you keep living you gotta be like wow i cant believe i'm still going! I'm kind of anxious to get that first cracked windshield out of the way. Been waiting for it for so long.

Eloib

First Name
Eloi
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Unlimited Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase
Great! I guess i can expect a crack any minute now. The way i figure it I'm on borrowed time. like that guy that lives to be 106... every minute you keep living you gotta be like wow i cant believe i'm still going! I'm kind of anxious to get that first cracked windshield out of the way. Been waiting for it for so long.
Honestly I thought the same. I thought I defeated the almighty windshield cracker demon...

Surprisingly enough it didnā€™t crack when the temps were at -20 last week. Although Iā€™m pretty convinced the crack happened today because of the temperature differential created by having the defroster running while freezing rain was dumping on us in Detroit metro...

OP
OP
WXman

WXman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Unlimited
Occupation
Meteorology and Transportation
This thread seems to have backfired nicely. :clap: No comment regarding my windshield. ;)
How's that? Because there are dozens of members reporting zero issues with the windshield after thousands of miles of use? I don't follow...

I think this thread is doing exactly what it was intended to do. It shows that the windshields in Wranglers are not "junk" and those who have cracked one have or would have also cracked the windshield on any other truck. The average person has zero problems with the glass.

Maverick909

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sporticon, 1976 GMC K15 Lifted on 35's
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Electrician/ Industrial Furnace MFG
Clubs

zero issue here on my 18 JLUS thus far. only have 1800 miles. but thats 3 offroad trips and the 400 mil trip home from the dealer in another state. LOL but ive had cracks/ chips in all my trucks in my past time. none of which the glasses fault. something about rocks and bolts on cali. freeways that glass does not like. im just glad the jeep has a smaller window than my ram or a silverado had. much smaller playing board means less chance of a clean hit. One could assume that the upright near dead 90 degree windshield makes a good target for hard hits as they would be more direct than a window in a more aerodynamic truck. just my two cents -Jeep wave-

kms

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Unlimited Sahara
How many vehicles have you driven with an upright windshield? Do you understand the physics of such?
I have driven many vehicles, and none of them (including the Wrangler), has an actually upright windshield. Do I have a degree in Physics? No. But I do understand basic physics pretty well, have a math degree from one Ivy League school, and have a law degree from another. The point of saying this is merely to say that Iā€™m not an idiot, so trying to one-liner me into the idiot box isnā€™t really a good use of anyoneā€™s time.

More importantly, though, most consumers DONā€™T have an engineering or physics background, and do not expect a vehicle to be sold with the level of windshield issues these newer Jeeps appear to have.
Sponsored