Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU, 2017 Honda Accord, 2014 Yamaha XVS 1300
Occupation
Retired Marine, Construction Estimator
Vehicle Showcase
This is one of this "jinx" thread if you reply and you will get your windshield cracked next day. Believe me, witch power is real!
That's why I worded my reply carefully for my current vehicles, lol.

BillG

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Sting Gray JLUR / 15 Harley Tri glide / 50 Dodge Rat pickup
I looked at mine when they changed it out. Looked thinner than most to me, but all new vehicles might be that way now for weight savings.

tatarin

First Name
Russ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 MOAB Mojito Sky One-Touch, 2015 Lexus RX350F-sport, 2005 Camry SE
Vehicle Showcase
I wonder if something like Clearplex film would help prevent chips on the windshield. Has anyone on here have any protection film installed?

https://clearplex.com/consumer/

LeoTheDragon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
I'm not superstitious, but hopefully you all can read between the lines here..

Purely hypothetical question: How big of a piece of wood would I need to knock on if I were to maybe consider letting everyone know that after 5k in 2 months of driving through every terrain you can and having pebbles (some maybe even classified as small rocks), giant bird poops, branches, evil fairies, pine cones, and a french fry smack my windshield, that I haven't had any cracks or chips yet? Is there a certain type of wood that would be best? Optimal dimensions? Again, for science. Science only. I am not at all commenting on the actual condition of my windshield.

Sponsored

Chomper

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara
With my 2008 Xterra, within the first 8 years I had 5 different windshields. I managed to go the last 3 years without further replacement.

Not gonna join this club as I don't want to jinx myself. :)

VooDoo1

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Sport S, 2007 FJ Cruiser
820 miles as of today, so far so good. Now that I posted this...

Eloib

First Name
Eloi
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Unlimited Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase
I have been putting in about 2.5-3k miles a month lately, approaching 10k total.

No cracks. No steering problems.

I’m pretty damn sure people tailgate way too much to get this many cracks...

kms

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Unlimited Sahara
I have been putting in about 2.5-3k miles a month lately, approaching 10k total.

No cracks. No steering problems.

I’m pretty damn sure people tailgate way too much to get this many cracks...
It’s kind of funny seeing all the different angles people take to excuse/defend the manufacturer on this issue.

After my windshield cracked yesterday, at just under 200 miles, I stumbled upon this forum and the voluminous posts about JL’s windshields in particular seeming to be particularly brittle. Then I noticed you have several camps of people that basically are telling everyone to suck it up.

1. Some chalk it up to it being “a Jeep thing.” It’s fine if some people want to live with such an issue, because it makes them feel like they are part of a club. But (a) that doesn’t mean it isn’t a problem; (b) it doesn’t explain why Jeep doesn’t tell people this when they buy; and (c) it doesn’t address the apparent changes to the glass used and what appear to be worse problems of late.

2. This thread, strangely, seems to be trying to convince buyers that the easily-cracked glass thing isn’t a Jeep thing at all. Frankly, I don’t understand the purpose of such a thread. It now seems very clear that most on this forum, at the very least, recognize there is a significantly increased probability of getting a cracked windshield, in same-style paved-road driving, when driving a Jeep Wrangler.

3. A pretty substantial subset seems to think it’s all OK because you can just pay more for comprehensive insurance with a lower or no deductible and replace the windshield like it’s an oil change. Most people really don’t want to deal with that hassle, even if this forum is home to many who don’t mind. Plus, that does cost money (USAA told me $114/year to go to zero deductible today) and, at some point that will likely go up once claims experience increases and USAA’s actuaries have to account for all of that. Even if they don’t raise your rates individually (which they could start doing), that doesn’t mean comprehensive premiums aren’t going up globally. Bottom line — these aren’t actually free windshields. Someone is paying for them, even if you are OK spreading that cost (somewhat) to other insureds for now.

4. Just get Gorilla Glass. This has been sprinkled in here and there. First, I have no way of knowing whether the anticipated Gorilla Glass Mopar windshield will address the brittleness issue. Second, I am puzzled why anyone making a windshield would think it a positive marketing strategy to focus on using the same technology as any cell phone device. Third, it still isn’t available. Finally, and perhaps most importantly, I can’t help thinking that part of the reason it still isn’t available is that the lawyers at FCA/Mopar are (a) worried it will be evidence of a design defect with the glass JLs currently get; and (b) aware that the lead engineer, in an attempt to convince everyone the windshields are just fine, made a defensive promotional video saying the Gorilla Glass probably would give no benefit over existing glass (this was in August — oops! Sorry, Mopar — we can’t really start rolling out a product that probably gives no benefit, can we?).

I know that some people are A-OK with everything, no matter what. But I can’t understand trying to convince prospective buyers that the windshields DON’T crack easily or very often. Kinda seems deceptive, honestly. Even the engineer in the video didn’t try to say that. He just sidestepped the issue by saying Goeilla Glass probably won’t help.

Just my 2 cents.

Last edited:

plex

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Occupation
Weekend keyboard mechanic and beer drinker
Vehicle Showcase
It’s kind of funny seeing all the different angles people take to excuse/defend the manufacturer on this issue.

Just my 2 cents.
There are lots of Wrangler owners have Stockholm syndrome. The evidences are in lots of alike threads "no issues xxx miles club", "great steering club"...

I even saw a guy posted he has no issue whatsoever the same day he posted he has a detached rear window defroster, but he insisted that is not an "issue".

TBRH, Wrangler has more issues than the average car outta there, does not mean it is not an awesome Jeep. It is just FCA's cut corner cost saving poor quality control.

Sponsored

bellts

First Name
Timmy!
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JLUS 3.6l, Manual (Timmychanga)
Occupation
Software Engineer (of sorts),
I'm about 3.5k into my JLU. Two small chips, no cracks. Watching those chips closely.

plex

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Occupation
Weekend keyboard mechanic and beer drinker
Vehicle Showcase
4. Just get Gorilla Glass. This has been sprinkled in here and there. First, I have no way of knowing whether the anticipated Gorilla Glass Mopar windshield will address the brittleness issue. Second, I am puzzled why anyone making a windshield would think it a positive marking strategy to focus on using the same technology as any cell phone device. Third, it still isn’t available. Finally, and perhaps most importantly, I can’t help thinking that part of the reason it still isn’t available is that the lawyers at FCA/Mopar are (a) worried it will be evidence of a design defect with the glass JLs currently get; and (b) aware that the lead engineer, in an attempt to convince everyone the windshields are just fine, made a defensive promotional video saying the Gorilla Glass probably would give no benefit over existing glass (this was in August — oops! Sorry, Mopar — we can’t really start rolling out a product that probably gives no benefit, can we?).
BTW: Gorilla glass will not solve this issue, unless they used a different material comparing to the Smartphone gorilla glass layer. Gorilla glass on smartphone still cracks, they just resist to scratch but will still crack upon blunt force (a pebble flying at 60 mph).

This is just an inherent design with the boxy look of a Wrangler (and many other trucks).

kms

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Unlimited Sahara
There are lots of Wrangler owners have Stockholm syndrome. The evidences are in lots of alike threads "no issues xxx miles club", "great steering club"...
LOL @ Stockholm Syndrome.

maguro

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Punk'n JLUR
Positive experiences will not have an effect on physics.

Especially in the Canadian Rockies where they sprinkle the roads with pebbles since it's too cold for ice. Needless to say, my windshield cracked the day after they sprinkled the roads. But then again, I'd say that nearly 1/3 of the vehicles in my town have a cracked windshield.

Reactions: kms

jeepmikey

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLUR
Cracked windshield about 4500 miles, safelite came last week and replaced it. Also scratched the whole side of passenger window frame after tech decided putting weight against a metal wire to remove the windshield using the frame as a base was a good idea.

Jeep has to repaint or blend.

Cut to this morning and 2 rocks hit my windshield again at 5500 miles - no crack but small chips in windshield now.
Sponsored