First Name
rK
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep JL Sport S 2 dr.
Occupation
Retired
So this is a thread about luck or lack of and nothing more. But yes where you drive and the presence of trucks filled with all kinds of crap that flies off doesn't help the odds. Due to the angle of the Jeep windshield anyone that says it is no more prone to cracking than any other vehicle doesn't know what they are talking about. It's been a Wrangle problem for years.
Sponsored

OP
OP
WXman

WXman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Unlimited
Occupation
Meteorology and Transportation
Damn I'm coming up on 8,000 miles in the JT Gladiator now and guess what... still not a single crack.

What was the point of the post? To prove that "every Jeep ends up with a cracked windshield eventually" is a myth and nothing more and people need to stop acting like it's inevitable and to be accepted.

rickyrobert

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep JL, 2016 Toyota Venza, 2005 Nissan Sentra, 1972 Jeep CJ5
Coming up on 5000km, haven't cracked one yet. Went throught 5 windshields in my previous f150. Live down the road from a quarry.

Kluk Ztopolovky

First Name
Kluk
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler JL Sport 2dr Sting Gray manual
Largely depends on where you drive/live. In Phoenix, it's all rock on the sides of the freeways/roads so stone chips and cracks are constant. We've got ~3500 on our Rubi....already several small chips and big crack we got last week coming into work. The vertical nature of the windshield is part of the problem certainly, but our '98 TJ has much thicker, stronger glass than the JL. Windscreens are a major weight consideration when trying to get better MPG or better power to weight ratio...which is probably why FCA thinned them out.

And yes, I realize this thread was supposed to be about windshields that aren't cracked...but I posted b/c they've definitely been thinned out. If you haven't had a cracked one...it's probably b/c you've either been lucky, or don't drive where a lot of stones end up on the paved roadways.
that is a very good point , mall crawlers from NY won't crack the windshield easy they just may see lots of crackheads you won't see in Idaho

Andy2434

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Billet JLUR, ‘20 Mustang GT/Prem/6MT/PP1
Occupation
Retired/Leisure
2019 JLUR with 23,xxx many Scrapes, trail, and freeway miles. However . . . On second thought, I’ll leave it at that. Rather not jinx myself.

Sponsored

Carlton

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeeps lots of jeeps
Largely depends on where you drive/live. In Phoenix, it's all rock on the sides of the freeways/roads so stone chips and cracks are constant. We've got ~3500 on our Rubi....already several small chips and big crack we got last week coming into work. The vertical nature of the windshield is part of the problem certainly, but our '98 TJ has much thicker, stronger glass than the JL. Windscreens are a major weight consideration when trying to get better MPG or better power to weight ratio...which is probably why FCA thinned them out.

And yes, I realize this thread was supposed to be about windshields that aren't cracked...but I posted b/c they've definitely been thinned out. If you haven't had a cracked one...it's probably b/c you've either been lucky, or don't drive where a lot of stones end up on the paved roadways.
I helped the Safelite guy install mine on a JK. I was surprised how light and thin it was.

In recent years:

2015 JK: multiple chips
2016: JK nothing
2017: JK cracked topped to bottom and side to side
2018 JK nothing
2019 JL nothing
2020 JL nothing so far

Wabujitsu

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR, 2020 JLU Sahara
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Retired US Army
Vehicle Showcase
Before my current Jeep, I had an FJ Cruiser. Same straight up and down windshield situation. In the 100,000 miles before I traded it in, I had four windshields. As others have said, it’s a matter of design, luck, and following vehicles spewing gravel and other crap. Thank god FL law makes all insurance companies replace windshields with no out of pocket expense.

I won’t jinx myself in this thread by commenting on my Jeep windshield situation. ;)

Jan2nellie

First Name
Janelle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Sahara JL
No its not OK to have a cracked windshield is the probable response from most people on this forum, (OK so I really cannot speak for anyone actually), well to rephrase that, I think that you buy the Wrangler for its looks and iconic features NO other car/truck has and not for its potential for the windshield to crack.
"Some chalk it up to it being “a Jeep thing.”- Noone on this forum is doing this..... You need to look at the shape of the jeep and the straight up windshield and the law of physics takes over. Its just more prone to rocks hitting it. And as far as the Jeep people having to tell you that "Hey your windshield may get cracked more often than any other car on the road", well this is just nonsense because why does someone have to tell you that cars with straight-up windshields have a problem with the windshields cracking? And I know NOTHING about Gorrilla glass so I cannot comment. Just my 3 cents.....
I think it is a jeep problem. I have owned two and have gone through 7 windshields and 6 back windows. They have issues too. Seems that when I take it into the dealer to fix the defrost button attachment, nothing but troubles and windows blowing out. All at my cost because it is not their issue. I call BULL!!!
Sponsored