foofykid

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
97 Tj
Vehicle Showcase
So i hope @JeepCares can make this right. I don't usually bring up bad experiences but this is crazy. My JL wrangler GPS stopped working (the map was not accurate by ANY means). I brought it in to my local dealership and they said that the radio failed the update and that they would have to order a new radio. A few days go by and i get a call that the radio is in and i bring the jeep back in to install the radio. After the radio was installed, I brought it home and I called Sirus to transfer my sirus account to the new radio. Sirus informed me that the new radio installed is not the same platform as the old radio and that I would have to change my subscription which would cost me more money. I brought it back to the dealership and I stated that they did not install the same radio that was in the car prior to service. My local jeep dealer said that these are refurbished radios and they have no control over what platform radio they receive. So right now my Jeep is still at the dealership, waiting to hear back. You would think that since my Jeep is still under warranty, they would provide a brand new radio, and not an old, used, fixed up one.
Sponsored

jludave

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Unlimited Sport Altitude
Occupation
IT Manager
Vehicle Showcase
Clubs

Sirus informed me that the new radio installed is not the same platform as the old radio and that I would have to change my subscription which would cost me more money.
Call back and speak to someone else. This is total BS. You can transfer service to any radio you want. When I had my '15, I transferred service from the stock radio to a self installed 430N to a Pioneer aftermarket head unit. If anything, they may charge you a one time transfer fee of $15.

nerubi

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLR, 2020 VW Tiguan
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
In the past when I installed a new radio Sirius wouldn't transfer the same plan to the new radio - they said it was tied to the radio id.

Kluk Ztopolovky

First Name
Kluk
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler JL Sport 2dr Sting Gray manual
So i hope @JeepCares can make this right. I don't usually bring up bad experiences but this is crazy. My JL wrangler GPS stopped working (the map was not accurate by ANY means). I brought it in to my local dealership and they said that the radio failed the update and that they would have to order a new radio. A few days go by and i get a call that the radio is in and i bring the jeep back in to install the radio. After the radio was installed, I brought it home and I called Sirus to transfer my sirus account to the new radio. Sirus informed me that the new radio installed is not the same platform as the old radio and that I would have to change my subscription which would cost me more money. I brought it back to the dealership and I stated that they did not install the same radio that was in the car prior to service. My local jeep dealer said that these are refurbished radios and they have no control over what platform radio they receive. So right now my Jeep is still at the dealership, waiting to hear back. You would think that since my Jeep is still under warranty, they would provide a brand new radio, and not an old, used, fixed up one.

well, the dealership should resolve this problem quickly and then it's up to them to get the $$$ from FCA , all the components in the vehicle are covered by the warranty including the radio and the software

YippieKiYayMrFalcon

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU 80th Anniversary
Vehicle Showcase
As others have stated, Sirius is full of it, and the dealer should absolutely not be giving you a refurbished radio as part of a warranty repair.

JeepCares won’t take action unless you send them a PM, so I would definitely do that and tell them about your experience with the dealer.

Sponsored

OP
OP

foofykid

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
97 Tj
Vehicle Showcase
As others have stated, Sirius is full of it, and the dealer should absolutely not be giving you a refurbished radio as part of a warranty repair.

JeepCares won’t take action unless you send them a PM, so I would definitely do that and tell them about your experience with the dealer.
They dealer told me that the unit is refurbished, they said they don't install new units since the car is over a year old. Thats BS you pay almost 60k for a car and something breaks under warranty and they replaced it with as old radio...

JeepCares

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL

We're sorry to hear that you are experiencing this concern. If you would like any additional assistance, our team is always available via private message!

Alison
JeepCares

OP
OP

foofykid

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
97 Tj
Vehicle Showcase
We're sorry to hear that you are experiencing this concern. If you would like any additional assistance, our team is always available via private message!

Alison
JeepCares
I have sent a PM, thank you!

Hootbro

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport, 2022 JT RUBICON
FWIW, the FCA warranty terms and conditions booklet allows them use to re-manufacture, reconditioned and repaired parts in the use of warranty repairs.

exchange.jpg

Last edited:

viper88

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 JLR 2.0T (past), '22 JLR 3.6 (present)
FWIW, the FCA warranty terms and conditions booklet allows them use to re-manufacture, reconditioned and repaired parts in the use of a warranty repairs.

exchange.jpg
Yep. Same with a Mopar Extended Warranty.

Sponsored

viper88

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 JLR 2.0T (past), '22 JLR 3.6 (present)
Honestly I thought this thread was going to be about exceptional "unbelievable service". As in a unbelievably good dealer experience. Should have known. Wishful thinking on my part I guess?

Fire Burns

First Name
Fire
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR 3.6; 2006 Chrysler 300c SRT-8
Play hard ball with Sirius XM. Tell they you would like to waive the fee or they will lose you as a customer. Works every time.

TimmH

First Name
Timm
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Wrangler Sahara 3.6 Auto
Vehicle Showcase
In the past when I installed a new radio Sirius wouldn't transfer the same plan to the new radio - they said it was tied to the radio id.

Thats ridiculous. I have had sirius for like 7 or 8 years now and have swapped it through multiple vehicles. I just log online, and choose "Transfer Service To My New Car"

They ask for the new ESN, and bam, done.

jludave

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Unlimited Sport Altitude
Occupation
IT Manager
Vehicle Showcase
Clubs

What do you think happens to parts that dealerships return to FCA/Jeep that are taken out of vehicles brought in for repair? The majority are refurbished and sent back out.

Durango

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon Unlimited, 2019 Ram 1500 Quadcab 4X4, 2018 Challenger Hellcat, 2018 Charger SRT, 2018 American Dream, 2017 Ram 1500 Reg Cab 4X4, 2020 Redwood 3951MB, 2019 Mercedes 4WD Van
Having owned over twenty new Dodge/FCA vehicles in the last 17 or so years, I can tell you that the radios are the most common part replaced with a refurbished part in my experience anyway. It always bugs the heck out of me, as one poster noted, that we pay so much for these things and then get refurbished radios under warranty. Luckily, they rarely fail. That being said, like cable and phone companies, the answer/response to an issue often depends on the specific rep taking your call. Call again and speak to someone else, and you'll get a different answer/response. All they (SIRIUSXM) have to do is to cancel your previous radio ESN, credit your account, and then apply the credit towards the "new" radio.
And don't despair, the refurbished radios usually are just fine. It wasn't that long ago that other devices, such as cable boxes and pagers (OK, that was a long time ago) and even phones, were warrantied the same way - get a refurbished one if your new one went bad.
Sponsored