Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Sport
Occupation
Graphic Designer
Vehicle Showcase
Being a long time graphic designer and photographer/editor. Most people are unaware of copyrights. They will image search on google, find what they like and use it. Just because you find it in a search engine doesn't mean its fair use or free.

Generally people are compliant with requests to remove the images not realizing they were infringing on someone copyrights and intellectual property. It is cool that others recognize you work and will search you out to inform you when instances of infringement are found.
Sponsored

OP
OP
mnrafter

mnrafter

First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.mcneils.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep JLU Rubicon, 2013 Jeep JKU Rubicon, 2015 Jeep Grand Cherokee Summit
Occupation
Special Procedures Radiologic Technologist
Vehicle Showcase
I bet there is not a ton of pictures out there of a JL for use. There may be a market for it right now for people that will pay a small amount to do things the right way. Not my gig but maybe someone could make a few bucks.

Do you guys mind posting the shots that where poached?
Here is the image that was posted on eBay.

s-l500.jpg

OP
OP
mnrafter

mnrafter

First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.mcneils.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep JLU Rubicon, 2013 Jeep JKU Rubicon, 2015 Jeep Grand Cherokee Summit
Occupation
Special Procedures Radiologic Technologist
Vehicle Showcase
The NFL let you keep the Vikings shots?!?! Those are obviously sweet. Do you still get to shoot them?

I shot a couple games the year they won the division agains the Giants and when Favre set the NFL record for TD passes. They took all my cards.

I'm obviously jealous of your photog skills and your Jeep. :)
I was invited to shoot the Viknigs game for a local radio station, KFAN. I was not hired by the NFL. So yes, i did get to keep all rights to the photos. It was an amazing experience. One I hope I have again.

Kenny

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 jl sports, 2015 JK Unlimited, 2013 JK @ Dr
Occupation
Village Idiot
Clubs

Glad you where able to get your image removed. To bad Ebay will probably not do much else about it.

I took a look at your SmugMug page. You have some nice work there. That JL is looking nice my friend.

I shoot wildlife for a hobby. Take a look if you would like. https://troynemitz.smugmug.com
Beautiful work

Sponsored

digitalbliss

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 1979 CJ7
I know it's small and really doesn't matter, but it bugs me too. Just saying "photos used in comparisons are not copyrighted images" doesn't make it so. I've asked them to remove my pictures I posted here, for the forums, not for their business but obviously they refuse...
Sun shade for JL Wrangler
Screenshot_20181009-181841_Chrome.jpg

Troybilt

First Name
Troy
Threads
Reaction score
Website
troynemitz.smugmug.com
Vehicle(s)
2012 JK Sport
Occupation
Highway Dept
I know it's small and really doesn't matter, but it bugs me too. Just saying "photos used in comparisons are not copyrighted images" doesn't make it so. I've asked them to remove my pictures I posted here, for the forums, not for their business but obviously they refuse...
Sun shade for JL Wrangler
Screenshot_20181009-181841_Chrome.jpg

What photo is yours and where did they get it from. Ill write them a email?

Sponsored

TwoTone

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Legacy, Flex
The left two pictures of the alien shade "bungee brand".
I linked my original post where I shared them with the forum above.
Actually the people on these forums should get together and email bomb the crap out of them. Let them know you don't appreciate them stealing pictures from users on this forum and as of now you wouldn't purchase anything from them.

I just did and included this little blurb:
What is Copyright? Copyright is protection created by the US Constitution that gives virtually every author the exclusive right to use or reproduce their work. This is a United States federal law and, therefore, uniform across all states. And, as the US Government has signed on to a variety of international copyright agreements protection is essentially worldwide. This makes photo copyright laws very broadly applicable to online content creators.

US Copyright is a protection that applies to original works of authorship fixed in a tangible medium. “Original” means that an author produced a work by his or her own intellectual effort instead of copying or modifying it from an existing work. “Fixed in a tangible medium” means that the work is able to be perceived, reproduced, or otherwise communicated. Your blog is the necessary ‘tangible medium’. (17 USC 102)

Nearly every photo taken gives the author (the one who takes the photo) a protectable right to prevent others from using or reproducing that image. Of course, there are exceptions, but generally, the photographer owns the copyright. This is actually very important to know should you ever hand your camera to someone else to take a photo. That’s a completely different discussion, but don’t get offended if you ask your photographer friend to use her camera and she says no.

Troybilt

First Name
Troy
Threads
Reaction score
Website
troynemitz.smugmug.com
Vehicle(s)
2012 JK Sport
Occupation
Highway Dept
Actually the people on these forums should get together and email bomb the crap out of them. Let them know you don't appreciate them stealing pictures from users on this forum and as of now you wouldn't purchase anything from them..
I agree and and will be doing so soon. If they are members of the site ( to lazy to look now) I would give them a bit more leeway.

Nice letter and thank you for your time.

TwoTone

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Legacy, Flex
Interesting- already received an email back.

If it’s the Alien shade photo an individual contacted me and said he did not have a problem with the image. This person also said they would be happy to run out top if we gave them one for free. We do not give free product for reviews nor do we give products away for advertising. That would taint the true honesty of the review.

It’s a little late to contact us 2 months after granting approval to use the image. It then becomes open use…

Alien shade did not copy our image, they just made a duplicate copy of our product in China, that’s a bit more severe.

If you have an issue please contact our attorneys…

Miller / Patti / Pershern

mppfirm.com

Last edited:

old8tora

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 JK Sport
Glad you where able to get your image removed. To bad Ebay will probably not do much else about it.

I took a look at your SmugMug page. You have some nice work there. That JL is looking nice my friend.

I shoot wildlife for a hobby. Take a look if you would like. https://troynemitz.smugmug.com
Beautiful . I especially like the snowy owl landing on the stump .

offcamber

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon, 2014 Grand Cherokee Limited Ecodiesel
Anything I'm going to use online, I make a small backup jpeg of about 640x480 and dump them into a folder. At the end of the month, I burn them to disk and send them to the US Copyright office. You are protected by copyright always, but if the photo isn't registered with the US Copyright office,then all you can do is collect "actual" damages from the thief. If however the photo is registered, you can collect statutory damages. It's hard to even get your photo taken down for an unregistered photo, but for a registered photo its incredibly easy to find attorney's to take the case because they know they are guaranteed a decent payout. If it's obvious the person took your photo intentionally (they cropped a watermark out) or otherwise obviously circumvented protective measures, the statutory damages can be decent. Usually other than contacting an attorney there is nothing more for you to do. I've gotten as little as $700 for a photo and as much as $18000. It costs so little to register the copyrights that it's worth it just because if you put your stuff out there enough, you are bound to snag a fish every now and then. Just use an app like Tinyeye to search for your photos being used.
Sponsored