Sponsored

Unable to order a manual transmission

VNT

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
SRT Challenger, 2015 Hemi Overland, 02 WJ 4.7, 2000 Durango, PT Cruisers, 2018 Punkn Sahara 2020 OB Rubicon
Maybe parts for the Aisin trans are from China????
Sponsored

JP18

First Name
J.P.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Unlimited Rubicon
I'd reconsider getting the manual. I've had nothing but problems with mine. The clutch has been replaced 3 times and it's still very spongy. The ZF 8-speed auto is practically bulletproof - they even use a (modified) version in the Dodge Hellcat.

JP18

SecondTJ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep
The ZF 8-speed auto is practically bulletproof - they even use a (modified) version in the Dodge Hellcat.
Yes and no.

The Hellcat uses the ZF-built 8HP90. Which is a beefier version of the 8HP70/75.

The JL has two different automatic transmissions:

The ZF-built 8-speed (8HP75) is only available with the diesel.

The FCA-built 8-speed (850RE) is on the 2.0 and 3.6

JP18

First Name
J.P.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Unlimited Rubicon
Yes and no.

The Hellcat uses the ZF-built 8HP90. Which is a beefier version of the 8HP70/75.

The JL has two different automatic transmissions:

The ZF-built 8-speed (8HP75) is only available with the diesel.

The FCA-built 8-speed (850RE) is on the 2.0 and 3.6
Good catch - I was thinking about my EcoDiesel GC and how is also has the ZF sourced tranny.

JP

Sponsored

Gibby-NoVa

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR, 2015 Dodge Durango SRT, 2015 Dodge Challenger SRT 392 (sold), 2013 Ford Explorer Limited
Just heard from the dealership. They said allocations for manuals will be open in April 2020. Now the wait begins.
ugh...so disappointing

6spdjeep

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU HA, 2020 JLU Sahara (Lemon), 2017 GC Hemi
My manual JLU Sahara was ordered on 2/15. Should I be concerned that I am going to be told soon that my order can not be fulfilled?

wtodd

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 HellaYella JLR 6spd w/ BnL re-gear, MC 3.5"
Just heard from the dealership. They said allocations for manuals will be open in April 2020. Now the wait begins.
Thanks for sharing that information.

I can deal with April. I wonder what interesting paint colors will be on offer by then. ;)

J4.G10

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL Rubicon; 2016 C7 Z51
My husband and I went to order a new 2020 Jeep Sahara today and the dealership told us that they are unable to order the 23G for Wranglers and Gladiators. But they were not able to give us anymore information than that at the time. Does anyone know why FCA is not taking orders for manual transmissions? I have to say I’m very disappointed right now. I was really looking forward to having a manual again.
When I ordered my 2019 Rubicon, I wanted the V6 with an Automatic. Over the next several months, the dealership told me they couldn't submit that order into the system. I had to go with the V4 Auto or a V6 Manual. In the end, I ordered a V6 Manual but by the time my Jeep was built and delivered, other dealers were receiving inventory with V6 & Automatics. I raised the issue with FCA but it all turned out to be a waste of time. No one was ever able to explain why I was told my preferred configuration couldn't be special ordered while at the same time Jeep was manufacturing my configuration. I love the Manual BTW and glad I went with the V6 … I find engine breaking is far better than with the V4.

Karl_in_Chicago

First Name
Karl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Acura RL, Chevrolet Corvette, Harley-Davidson FLHTC Electra-Glide Classic
When I ordered my 2019 Rubicon, I wanted the V6 with an Automatic. Over the next several months, the dealership told me they couldn't submit that order into the system. I had to go with the V4 Auto or a V6 Manual. In the end, I ordered a V6 Manual but by the time my Jeep was built and delivered, other dealers were receiving inventory with V6 & Automatics. I raised the issue with FCA but it all turned out to be a waste of time. No one was ever able to explain why I was told my preferred configuration couldn't be special ordered while at the same time Jeep was manufacturing my configuration. I love the Manual BTW and glad I went with the V6 … I find engine breaking is far better than with the V4.
I'm interested to learn more about this V4 motor.

Sponsored

viper88

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 JLR 2.0T (past), '22 JLR 3.6 (present)
I'm interested to learn more about this V4 motor.
I am interested in how the V4 is inferior while engine braking considering it does not exist and the inline 2.0 can't be ordered with a manual.

viper88

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 JLR 2.0T (past), '22 JLR 3.6 (present)
Really, you tried a V4 with a manual?

Karl_in_Chicago

First Name
Karl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Acura RL, Chevrolet Corvette, Harley-Davidson FLHTC Electra-Glide Classic
I am interested in how the V4 is inferior while engine braking considering it does not exist and the inline 2.0 can't be ordered with a manual.
You get a manual V-6 and slice off 2 cylinders. Important planning note: don't slice off the end with the cam chain! Bonus is how much space in the engine compartment is freed up.

LunchBoxFab

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
Hey Paul, any updates on being able to order a manual?
the same situation presented itself this time last year when i was finally ready to order my 6speed. i was lucky enough to find a comparable unit withing 400 miles on dealer lot.
Sponsored