First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Bikini Pearl 2 door Wrangler Rubicon
Occupation
Engineer
I've been fighting this since May. I've had this Jeep since December 2019, it has a 17 gallon fuel tank. It originally would read 340 miles to empty after filling. Now it reads 240 miles to empty after filling and the fuel gauge only reads 7/8 full.

I have run it to the low fuel light comes on, and can only put 12 gallons in the 17 gallon tank. At 20 mpg , which is pretty standard for me, this seems consistent, 12 gallons would equate to 240 miles and 17 gallons to 360.

It appears there is something preventing me from adding the last 3 to 5 gallons on every fill.

Twice, I have been able to nurse another 3+ gallons in, but it took over 30 minutes of letting it sit and slowly trickling has in. Usually it overflows, even trying to trickle it in..

Thanks for any advice, I'm taking it to the Dealer under warranty on Monday.
Sponsored

rubiRI77

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Rubicon two door. 2.0 Turbo.
Can't help, but I have the same problem sometimes. and then other times it fills up just fine. I am assuming it is something to do with the vapor recovery system or something like that?
Please post up what the dealer says because this is very frustrating.

The Last Cowboy

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Willys 2 door
Occupation
Wandering Vaquero
Have you always topped it off after the pump clicks off? If so, this is terrible for your evap system charcoal container, which allows the tank to vent through a charcoal filter to reduce emissions.

Once the pump clicks off, stop filling. If not, gas is more likely to flow down the vent tube and soak the charcoal filter. Once that happens, the tank can’t vent. Takes forever to fill up because pressure builds up. Another symptom of this is that you will smell fuel in or near your vehicle.

Once the damage is done, it won’t dry out. You’ll have to take it to the dealer and have the charcoal filter replaced. It is usually the entire evap assembly.

The only other thing that could have happened is that you bashed your fuel tank off road and it has a big dent in it.

Don't top of tanks once the pump clicks off!

Last edited:
OP
OP
W0HAT

W0HAT

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Engineer
Have you always topped it off after the pump clicks off? If so, this is terrible for your evap system charcoal container. This allows the tank to vent through a charcoal filter to reduce emissions.

Once the pump clicks off, stop filling. If not, gas is more likely to flow down the vent tube and soak the charcoal filter. Once that happens, the tank can’t vent. Takes forever to fill up because pressure builds up. Another symptom of this is that you will smell fuel in or near your vehicle.

Once the damage is done, it won’t dry out. You’ll have to take it to the dealer and have the charcoal filter replaced. It is usually the entire evap assembly.

The only other thing that could have happened is that you bashed your fuel tank off road and it has a big dent in it.

Interesting, I have tried to fill the tank till it overflows, doesn't help, this would explain why.

Sponsored

mwilk012

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ocean Blue JLU Rubicon
Occupation
Service
Many of us have had this problem for a long time. Over 3 years and 50k miles and I have never been able to put 17 gallons in mine.

OllieChristopher

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2005 GMC 2WD Sierra, 4.3, NV3500, 3:73/TruTrac
Many of us have had this problem for a long time. Over 3 years and 50k miles and I have never been able to put 17 gallons in mine.
Did you run it out of fuel when you first purchased it? I deplete all my fuel on most of my vehicles when I first get them. This way I know how many miles I can get out of a tank and what amount will go in. I only do it once as it's not a good practice to run tanks low due to it being hard on the fuel pump.

mwilk012

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Service
Did you run it out of fuel when you first purchased it? I deplete all my fuel on most of my vehicles when I first get them. This way I know how many miles I can get out of a tank and what amount will go in. I only do it once as it's not a good practice to run tanks low due to it being hard on the fuel pump.
Jesus, no. Unnecessary risk and wear.

plisken

First Name
Harry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Rubicon, BMW M5 E34
Same problem on this side of the pond, I made a post a few weeks ago on it here but have since found the only solution (and its not really a solution) is to drive some and go back again and top it up, when it seems to then fill to the max, in my case a work commute and then it takes an extra 25L or so and shows full.

I have also on occasion, filled it really, really slowly and it seemed to go all the way.

Far from ideal...

OBD

First Name
Thomas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jl Wrangler ,2016Soul,Dyna,Sportster,HD
Have you always topped it off after the pump clicks off? If so, this is terrible for your evap system charcoal container. This allows the tank to vent through a charcoal filter to reduce emissions.

Exactly what happened to a car of mine.........

Sponsored

Dr. RGB

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
No longer own a Jeep
Clubs

Same here. I thought I had a special 14 gallon tank in my Jeep. On the bright side, I am happy the pump clicks off so sooner now that gas is going for $4.19 a gallon in my area.

Strommen95

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 GMC Canyon
I don't have an answer to 7/8ths full. I'm assuming it's clearly not filled to the top then on your gauge.

Regarding others "never filling up" the entire tank, you're not getting 17 or 21.5 gallons because your tank isn't empty. The fuel light comes on very early. It was the same with the JK. You have at least 4 gallons left, usually 5 when the fuel light comes on. You don't have any issues, just be aware the fuel light is pre-mature.

mwilk012

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Service
Same here. I thought I had a special 14 gallon tank in my Jeep. On the bright side, I am happy the pump clicks off so sooner now that gas is going for $4.19 a gallon in my area.
I about lost it the other day when cost me almost 60 dollars to fill up. Absolutely crazy.

mwilk012

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Service
I don't have an answer to 7/8ths full. I'm assuming it's clearly not filled to the top then on your gauge.

Regarding others "never filling up" the entire tank, you're not getting 17 or 21.5 gallons because your tank isn't empty. The fuel light comes on very early. It was the same with the JK. You have at least 4 gallons left, usually 5 when the fuel light comes on. You don't have any issues, just be aware the fuel light is pre-mature.
Here's the thing though, not all of them do this.

OP
OP
W0HAT

W0HAT

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Engineer
Interesting, I have tried to fill the tank till it overflows, doesn't help, this would explain why.
I think I finally got it fixed, there is a valve in the fuel tank that had come loose and prevented the tank from filling. The service tech had to replace the entire tank. My fuel gage currently indicates a full tank with a distance to empty of 280 miles.
Sponsored