First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 3.6 JLUR
Occupation
Several
My 2019 JLR has just over 10,000 and has another 10k+ being flat towed. I run a Mopar lift with 37’s and without the RV rear View camera wouldn’t even know it was back there.
loon lake ca..jpg
Nice Tiger! It’s rare to see in one on a Dodge platform. I’ve got a very rough GT I’m in the process of being back from the dead.
Sponsored

LooselyHeldPlans

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 3.6 JLUR
Occupation
Several
Thanks, the 2012 Ram 3500,CTD , 4x4 was flawless for the 69,000 I drove it. The Tiger coach very, not so much. I have seen a few GT's on the Chevy Astro chassis but don't know much about them. I've heard they carry a lot of weight. I mostly had to rebuilt my coach, so you will be good in that respect. I hope the Astro chassis does as well as my Ram.
Sounds about right. I’m a member of the Facebook group and people have lots of problems. In tearing my GT down I’ve seen several questionable design decisions. For example the aluminium cage is only welded on one face off every tube intersection. It would take maybe 20 minutes to go around and weld ever face, but for whatever reason they didn’t.

You’d be surprised with the capacity of those astro vans. They actually have a higher stock payload than my JLUR! The Astro chassis won’t be as good as your Ram, but it doesn’t need to be… it’s just a different beast.

OllieChristopher

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2005 GMC 2WD Sierra, 4.3, NV3500, 3:73/TruTrac
Pretty good thread. I see no reason at all to lift a stock Rubicon. In the right hands even a Wrangler Sport with street tires can take stuff a rig with 37's can. Might need a little help with traction boards (I loathe rock piling) or jack or winch but so what.

Unless you need a serious rock and boulder crawler then I see more disadvantages than advantages going large on tire size. And in my outspoken opinion: Never ever ever get larger tires for just "the look". It's all about function.

Just for an example I can tell you I take my 1/2 ton 2WD truck with TruTac and 265/70 x 17 street tires in some places that some Jeep owners refuse to take their 50K+ dollar rigs. Mostly because I go on narrow and rocky with overhanging brach trails that scratch and bang the crap out of sides of my rig. I don't baby my vehicles off road. Bent tie rods and short hub/ball joint life are the price of admission. It's what I buy my vehicles for.

Jeep Wrangler JL Ultimate no-lift goal 901AFE58-246A-4008-AC3A-1C28636158EF

Jeep Wrangler JL Ultimate no-lift goal 3AC34F19-31EF-4AE9-A69A-C0CC617E1C70

Bulldog4xFour

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1979 CJ5, 2022 JLUS 4xe, 2022 JT Mojave
No lift is my goal as well... but I'm worried about weight. I've not been able to find HD springs at stock height... so I'm worried some day I'll have to cave as well.

If I do, I'll likely do the AEV 2.5. Let's hope that 2.5 is off a Sport and not Rubicon.

Anyone know of HD stock height springs?
Why not try Diesel, or 4xe springs?

Toycrusher

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
Pretty good thread. I see no reason at all to lift a stock Rubicon. In the right hands even a Wrangler Sport with street tires can take stuff a rig with 37's can. Might need a little help with traction boards (I loathe rock piling) or jack or winch but so what.

Unless you need a serious rock and boulder crawler then I see more disadvantages than advantages going large on tire size. And in my outspoken opinion: Never ever ever get larger tires for just "the look". It's all about function.

Just for an example I can tell you I take my 1/2 ton 2WD truck with TruTac and 265/70 x 17 street tires in some places that some Jeep owners refuse to take their 50K+ dollar rigs. Mostly because I go on narrow and rocky with overhanging brach trails that scratch and bang the crap out of sides of my rig. I don't baby my vehicles off road. Bent tie rods and short hub/ball joint life are the price of admission. It's what I buy my vehicles for.

I disagree to a point. Everyone who buys Jeep accessories "just for the look" lowers the cost of entry and expands the options for those of us who do use our rigs.

Sponsored

OllieChristopher

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2005 GMC 2WD Sierra, 4.3, NV3500, 3:73/TruTrac
I disagree to a point. Everyone who buys Jeep accessories "just for the look" lowers the cost of entry and expands the options for those of us who do use our rigs.
I have to agree. I'm blown away at some of the accessories and huge tires/lifts that are put on these rigs just for looks. It makes no sense to me at all.

Toycrusher

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
I have to agree. I'm blown away at some of the accessories and huge tires/lifts that are put on these rigs just for looks. It makes no sense to me at all.
Particularly for the JK, many are just gross 🤢🤢🤮 . But "to each their own" is the way I have to look at it

4xFUN

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 2-door Rubi. 2023 RAM TRX
This is obviously a very old thread but for those who doubt the capabilities of any stock Wrangler JL, check out the new video over on 'banned site' of a totally stock brand new 2-door JL Sport with stock street tires...Damm impressive, however I would never attempt what he did with those Michelin streeters!!!

blnewt

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep JL V6 SportS, (Retired 74 CJ-5, 80 CJ-7)
Occupation
Just ask @cosine he knows!

Yeah, I think the stock Rubicon height is the sweet spot for having adequate size tires for most off road situations and still keeping the center of gravity reasonable. Sure you can search out trails that a lift & 40s is req'd but for the vast majority of trails/situations IMO the stock Rubicon setup is almost ideal. Can't wait to install my Fox 2.0s this weekend, and combined w/ my Rubicon suspension, soon to be mounted 35s, full skids, and high fenders I think I should be set up exactly as I want & need. Only thing I really am lacking are lockers, but my winch can be spooled out if & when :)

AnnDee4444

Threads
Reaction score
'18 JLR 2.0
The stock Rubicon continues to amaze me, and it's capabilities are far more than I expected when purchasing. I've had stock to mildly modified Jeeps in the past (XJ/CJ/ZJ/WJ/Willys Wagon), and none have even come close to how the JLR is stock.

When these tires wear out I'll be buying 35s. I may consider a 1"-1.5" lift just to get the OEM ride height back from before I had a winch, and possibly shocks with more droop (but honestly I don't think I need more droop... it's just a want).

Sponsored

LooselyHeldPlans

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 3.6 JLUR
Occupation
Several
Why not try Diesel, or 4xe springs?
I don’t know about the 4xe, but the diesel will have a different weight distribution, so not a good option.

FrostySerb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR/2017 Ram 2500 Mega-Cab LongHorn Cummins
Awesome thread and nice build
I had this thought with my last JKUR, but I got really tired of bottoming out and scraping the skid plates constantly!
Good luck

TrailSnail

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JL Unlimited Sport S
Vehicle Showcase
Awesome thread and nice build
I had this thought with my last JKUR, but I got really tired of bottoming out and scraping the skid plates constantly!
Good luck
The struggle is real. On one hand that's what they're there for, but on the other hand it's no fun to be riding on them constantly.

Toycrusher

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
The struggle is real. On one hand that's what they're there for, but on the other hand it's no fun to be riding on them constantly.
After totaling a vehicle in an off-road rollover, I personally made the choice to sacrifice and scrape the crap out of my frame and skids in the interest of preserving every degree of side-hill capability.