Ultimate no-lift goal

Rolling Ragu

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
There are a LOT of Wranglers towed behind motorhomes. We'll tow ours each summer to Colorado and Utah mostly. In interest of safety while towing, I want to keep as low a center of gravity as possible. I'm hoping when my stock tires wear, I'll change to the 315's and be done. Possibly add the Mopar 2" lift, but I'm not sure how that would affect towing stability?
Sponsored

LunchBoxFab

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
Looks great but I have a question, did you have to use a front fender stabilizer bracket after ditching the inner liner?
not sure.

i dont think the fender would rip off at hwy speeds, but im sure it would buffer and shake without some sort of stabilization. i'm using the optional kit from AAL that bolts through the end of the fender, because it didnt like how much it was moving.

Toycrusher

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
not sure.

i dont think the fender would rip off at hwy speeds, but im sure it would buffer and shake without some sort of stabilization. i'm using the optional kit from AAL that bolts through the end of the fender, because it didnt like how much it was moving.
Perfect thanks

Sponsored

LS7

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'66 CJ5, ‘18 JLUR
A year ago I posted here that I was very satisfied with my JLUR as it came from the factory, and at that time, I was. However, after following my son’s Toyota Tacoma (6” lift) on various Moab trails, I began to have second thoughts. I was tiring of scrapping over various obstacles he cleared with ease. Having found myself with extra time on my hands (my wife and I have isolated ourselves at home as we are in the vulnerable class for the Coronavirus - we’re old), I decided to install a Mopar lift kit. I completed the installation, yesterday, and my hat is off to those that can install the kit in 4 hours. It took me 2 days, but I do have some extra time on my hands. My initial impression is positive, although I’ve only driven around the neighborhood. The lift raised my Jeep 3”, not the 2” I was anticipating, but that’s ok with me. I have five new wheels sitting on the garage floor, waiting for this craziness we are experiencing to end, and tire shops to get back to business as usual. I will then have 35” tires mounted and installed. I’m debating between various BFG and Nitto tires. Then it will be back to Moab, to challenge my son to keep up with me, this time.

To those of you who may have been affected by the Coronavirus craziness, my hart goes out to you. Take care of yourselves.

A7F7AB23-D33F-44E7-9DCD-26555CF78AF6.jpeg

BF632752-BF02-4862-AE95-B173272809C2.jpeg

Last edited:

Luekutus

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Website
500px.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler jL Sahara
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Explorer, Adventurer, Armchair Biologist, and (Former) Software Engineer
Vehicle Showcase
Late to the party but I love this thread. I have an '18 Sahara and I've been suffering from Rubicon envy since the day I drove it off the lot. I've been contemplating at lift for a few months so I can move up to 33" tires which is really overkill for the sort of once-a-year-at-best, semi-overlanding-by-day/hotels-by-night adventures that I do. I'm not even sure if the Sahara's stock front axle could handle 33s, and if I need to replace that I might as well wait until I'm not upside-down and trade it in for a Rubicon (which would then be my 6th jeep).

I will say that I've hated the 18" wheels that have come with both my Saharas. I can't put my finger on why, but they just look wrong. I'm hoping they somehow give a better ride as I can't imagine Jeep puts them on for looks. My dream upgrade there is a set of plain, 17", white steel rims similar to the wheels my '86 CJ-7 had.

UPDATE: I forgot to add that I agree the original poster. I'm not so much into the "monster truck" look either and basically want to build a Jeep version of the old Land Rover Defender (like Jeep Africa Concept vehicle from a few years back — oops! it had 35s").

Last edited:

JRod

First Name
Jarrod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
@Luekutus I love those classic white wagon wheels! I think some companies (quadratec?) have made wheels that look just like them but are aluminum to keep the weight down.

33s aren't too big for your axles, especially for very little wheeling. You could look for a Rubicon take off suspension, wheels, and tires and get plenty of clearance for 33s.

maddmaxx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 jlur
So this is going to be a non-popular build, as I am trying to achieve a goal: build a premium on-road daily driver with some degrees of off-road performance. One thing I really like is the stock geometry of JLUR. I am not a big fan of monster truck-ish build, and unfortunately, I am a minority in the Jeep community. As I am talking to my local offroad shop, they even laugh at me like why do you even buy a Wrangler if you are not going to lift.

Well to each of its own, I just like the way Rubicon comes with almost 1" lift and 33. Remember in the JK days, 33 is actually considered a large tire, and now for JL 35 is the new 33, and 37 is the new 35. So I am pretty sure the next iteration of Wrangler Rubicon will come with 35 standard, well, if EPA has not completely neutered it.

There are several pros with no lift.

Pros:
  • Easy to get in and out. For me, I have two lovely daughters aged 2 and 5, so this will yield a happy wife say no less.
  • Less potential warranty issue with asshole dealership.
  • Minimal altering to factory engineering design, so you are backed by the hundreds of thousands miles road test by the factory.
  • Less money spent. For me, if I am going to lift then I need to buy new tires otherwise the fender well will look empty, for new 35+ tire then I need to modify the tailgate, also I will regear and has to reprogram. See this is like a chain reaction for me because I want to do things right if I am going to lift. So it is like a $3000+ investment for less MPG, less comfortable, and less a lot of things.
Cons:
  • Not badass look. I can take that, and I am a pretty low-key person so that actually works for me.
  • Prepare to be laughed by other fellow Jeepers, especially those who own "big bad mean rigs"!
  • Has to wrench by yourself, since most off-road shops will not profit from you and they are likely going to turn you away.
However, no lift does not mean any mod. I am still going to put on many mods on my Jeep. This will be the post I document them.

Allagash27

First Name
Jacques
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU
Late to the party but I love this thread. I have an '18 Sahara and I've been suffering from Rubicon envy since the day I drove it off the lot. I've been contemplating at lift for a few months so I can move up to 33" tires which is really overkill for the sort of once-a-year-at-best, semi-overlanding-by-day/hotels-by-night adventures that I do. I'm not even sure if the Sahara's stock front axle could handle 33s, and if I need to replace that I might as well wait until I'm not upside-down and trade it in for a Rubicon (which would then be my 6th jeep).

I will say that I've hated the 18" wheels that have come with both my Saharas. I can't put my finger on why, but they just look wrong. I'm hoping they somehow give a better ride as I can't imagine Jeep puts them on for looks. My dream upgrade there is a set of plain, 17", white steel rims similar to the wheels my '86 CJ-7 had.

UPDATE: I forgot to add that I agree the original poster. I'm not so much into the "monster truck" look either and basically want to build a Jeep version of the old Land Rover Defender (like Jeep Africa Concept vehicle from a few years back — oops! it had 35s").
For me I think big rim/low profile tires look odd on a Jeep. Taller sidewalls absorb obstacles better and shorter sidewalls handle better on road. That's why sports cars have low profile tires. The early Jeeps had tall narrow tires.

Sponsored

G.D.S. 4x4

First Name
Garry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'15 Hardrock 2dr '19 JL Rubi
Occupation
Old Jeeper not gonna say how long!
I'm on the same page as many of you here with the no lift. I think 33 inch tires are plenty capable for a mix of light-offroading/camping and daily driver. However, ideally I prefer 255R85/16 tires which won't fit on the JL due to brake rotor and caliper size. This means I will need to downsize on rotor size and upgrade calipers and overall hydraulic pressure from the master cylinder which also means an entire brake swap. Currently, I have ARB front and rear bumpers with a half cage rack up top, westin rock sliders and will get to a lightbar shortly. Accessory load alone is already +/- 400lbs but I have a JLU with a payload of 1200+ lbs. There is a bit of sag so i installed teraflex 1.5inch performance spacers on factory springs and shocks. My plan is to replace the OE suspension with Old Man Emus around the 4 year mark or whenever I change my first set of tires.

I think i have this plan down. Any input is much appreciated.
I've used 285/75r17 Nitto Ridge Grapplers on several different JK/JL with little to no lift on stock rims they work perfect no need to mess with good brakes. Put the money elsewhere....winch/skids!

OP
OP
plex

plex

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Occupation
Weekend keyboard mechanic and beer drinker
Vehicle Showcase
So today is the day, I have finally decided to put on a true 2" lift on my Jeep. Guys, sorry I haven't achieve the ultimate no-lift goal. The overlanding stuff I added on my Jeep finally weigh down on the stock springs, I was getting to a point the space between tires and fender flares were just too dangerously close.

So what next, ultimate minimal-lift goal? Ha!

20200506_164625.jpg

OP
OP
plex

plex

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Occupation
Weekend keyboard mechanic and beer drinker
Vehicle Showcase
@plex which one did you go with?
Dynatrac, I was researching a true 2" spring lift, and my finalists are between Dynatrac and Synergy, both should be good.

JRod

First Name
Jarrod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
I was also torn between those two. I went with the dynatrac as well.
Sponsored