Sponsored

Ultimate Dana 44 Axle install notes and pics

scrape

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Fiat
oh thanks I was under the impression it was only two wire. So the UD44 comes with everything to direct connect to rubicon switch or do you need to get the mopar sold version or is there a specific additional part needed? I’m about to pull the trigger.
100% plug and play with the factory connector.

You only need the mopar harness if you want to hook the locker up to aftermarket switches (or the OEM aux switches).
Sponsored

Spank

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon, 2020 Dodge Challenger RT Scat Pack
I'm helping a buddy of mine replace the stock D30 on his '19 JL Sahara with this axle and while the project has mostly been trouble free, we've encountered some really silly issues.

Pictures are on his phone and as soon as I can get them, I'll post them up. Here's what we've run into so far:

Axle shafts not properly secured in the crate.
Upon opening the crate, we found that the axle shafts were lying on top of the axle. As a result, their movement inside the crate scratched off a lot of the paint on the axle itself. They should've been zip-tied to one of the boards, but weren't.

The zerk fittings don't make sense.
The u-joints on the shafts make contact with the zerk fittings on the lower ball joints. The uppers have flat zerk fittings that were painted over, rendering them useless. I think these should be reversed and installed after painting. I don't know what happened there.

The passenger swaybar mounting bracket wasn't welded straight.
This ultimately isn't an issue since we're going to use JKS Quick Disconnect sway bar links that require you to saw off the bracket in question, but because the bracket isn't straight, a standard link's sleeve is too wide to fit between the bracket and the trackbar mount.

As far as general fitment and getting everything put together, it's gone pretty smooth, but it's these little things that are making us question if there are unseen problems that'll crop up when this thing hits pavement and dirt. These flaws are something that'd be more indicative of a Rugged Ridge or Smittybilt product, not something from Dana.

Last edited:
Reactions: J0E
OP
OP
intentsrig

intentsrig

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Sporticon
I'm helping a buddy of mine replace the stock D30 on his '19 JL Sahara with this axle and while the project has mostly been trouble free, we've encountered some really silly issues.

Pictures are on his phone and as soon as I can get them, I'll post them up. Here's what we've run into so far:

Axle shafts not properly secured in the crate.
Upon opening the crate, we found that the axle shafts were lying on top of the axle. As a result, their movement inside the crate scratched off a lot of the paint on the axle itself. They should've been zip-tied to one of the boards, but weren't.

The zerk fittings don't make sense.
The u-joints on the shafts make contact with the zerk fittings on the lower ball joints. The uppers have flat zerk fittings that were painted over, rendering them useless. I think these should be reversed and installed after painting. I don't know what happened there.

The passenger swaybar mounting bracket wasn't welded straight.
This ultimately isn't an issue since we're going to use JKS Quick Disconnect sway bar links that require you to saw off the bracket in question, but because the bracket isn't straight, a standard link's sleeve is too wide to fit between the bracket and the trackbar mount.

As far as general fitment and getting everything put together, it's gone pretty smooth, but it's these little things that are making us question if there are unseen problems that'll crop up when this thing hits pavement and dirt. These flaws are something that'd be more indicative of a Rugged Ridge or Smittybilt product, not something from Dana.
Ah shoot that’s too bad.

My axle shafts did come secured and zip tied in the crate.

My lower ball joints were Flush mount zerk Fittings although they did fall out and I had to go through some hoops to get new ones. They actually sent my 4 brand new ball joints.

I also cut off that bracket so I have no idea if it was straight to begin with.

Back to the ball joints, they are not the HD dana spicer ones you would buy though Northridge etc but they are metal internals just like the spicer ones. Though I believe mine are making a terrible creak noise when I turn the wheel due to grease being compromised for an unknown time period with water exposure. Idk how long my zerk fittings were missing. The noise only comes after being driven awhile not while cold. Very strange.

I have not installed the new ball joints yet because other than the noise they are still fine and pass the bj test of a bar under the tire to check for play.

I do have some type of metal clicking noise that sounds like loose sway bar link disconnect pins or something flopping around but I suspect it is also the ball joints. Let me know if you hear anything like that after awhile.

Spank

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon, 2020 Dodge Challenger RT Scat Pack
My lower ball joints were Flush mount zerk Fittings although they did fall out and I had to go through some hoops to get new ones. They actually sent my 4 brand new ball joints.
Yeah, I have feeling the zerks are reversed here, although I don't understand the logic in painting over them.

Back to the ball joints, they are not the HD dana spicer ones you would buy though Northridge etc but they are metal internals just like the spicer ones. Though I believe mine are making a terrible creak noise when I turn the wheel due to grease being compromised for an unknown time period with water exposure. Idk how long my zerk fittings were missing. The noise only comes after being driven awhile not while cold. Very strange.
Yeah, these came installed. They feel real solid, though, and when you pull on the draglink by hand, it's definitely tighter than the stock axle. But the fact the zerks are wrong and painted over, along with your experience with the same product well over a year ago, isn't very promising.

I do have some type of metal clicking noise that sounds like loose sway bar link disconnect pins or something flopping around but I suspect it is also the ball joints. Let me know if you hear anything like that after awhile.
It's not my Jeep and he ain't much for a forum guy, but if he has any issues I'll come back to this thread. Thank you!

OP
OP
intentsrig

intentsrig

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Sporticon
Yeah, I have feeling the zerks are reversed here, although I don't understand the logic in painting over them.

Yeah, these came installed. They feel real solid, though, and when you pull on the draglink by hand, it's definitely tighter than the stock axle. But the fact the zerks are wrong and painted over, along with your experience with the same product well over a year ago, isn't very promising.

It's not my Jeep and he ain't much for a forum guy, but if he has any issues I'll come back to this thread. Thank you!
Also, my uppers came with flush mount zerks as well btw.

Sponsored

4xFUN

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 2-door Rubi. 2023 RAM TRX
Also, my uppers came with flush mount zerks as well btw.

I am now waiting on Reid Racing knuckles before I finish the install of my UD44 on my JLR, my JPP UD 44 came with standard OEM ball joints without zerks but Dana did step up and send me a set of their Performance ball joints-2 with flush zerks and 2 with standard zerks, however I ordered a set of Dynatrac HD ball joints when I first saw they had installed the wrong ball joints in my UD44. While I wait for the Reids to arrive, I do have some questions: Did you notice any difference in ride height after your install? I ask as it appears you do not use either the Mopar spring perches nor an RK aftermarket type-the spring just goes directly to the steel perch. I question this as my JLR (Mopar lift plus adjustable arms & track bars) now sits level (less than 1/8" diff) side to side and the passenger side Mopar perch is taller (where the spring sits) than the driver. As much as I do not like the idea, my guess is I will be playing with spring spacers to level / or adjust the ride height....Overall, the JPP UD44 looks solid, all brackets are aligned and welded properly but WTH is with the giant welded on lower stabilizer mount? No one buying this axle is going to be mounting their stabilizer on the bottom of the axle! Looks like it will be a PITA to cut off, grind smooth and paint! This bracket I wish they had not welded so well...

OP
OP
intentsrig

intentsrig

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Sporticon
I am now waiting on Reid Racing knuckles before I finish the install of my UD44 on my JLR, my JPP UD 44 came with standard OEM ball joints without zerks but Dana did step up and send me a set of their Performance ball joints-2 with flush zerks and 2 with standard zerks, however I ordered a set of Dynatrac HD ball joints when I first saw they had installed the wrong ball joints in my UD44. While I wait for the Reids to arrive, I do have some questions: Did you notice any difference in ride height after your install? I ask as it appears you do not use either the Mopar spring perches nor an RK aftermarket type-the spring just goes directly to the steel perch. I question this as my JLR (Mopar lift plus adjustable arms & track bars) now sits level (less than 1/8" diff) side to side and the passenger side Mopar perch is taller (where the spring sits) than the driver. As much as I do not like the idea, my guess is I will be playing with spring spacers to level / or adjust the ride height....Overall, the JPP UD44 looks solid, all brackets are aligned and welded properly but WTH is with the giant welded on lower stabilizer mount? No one buying this axle is going to be mounting their stabilizer on the bottom of the axle! Looks like it will be a PITA to cut off, grind smooth and paint! This bracket I wish they had not welded so well...
From what I can tell the Jeep is level. Yeah I do not have any of the plastic isolators under the spring. I don’t think they fit if I can remember correctly. Been awhile since I installed it lol.

And yeah that huge bracket is so dumb!

Last edited:

jessedacri

First Name
Jesse
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bright White 2dr JL Rubicon 3.6
Does anyone know the pinion/caster ratio for this axle or if there's any differences at all from stock? I've got this axle + 2.5" lift but still using the stock driveshaft. I'm worried I'll run into the vibration issue with an aftermarket driveshaft but can't determine whether this is specced exactly like stock or the pinion is at a more favorable angle. The pumpkin certainly seems to be angled differently but the lack of info saying otherwise in the specs makes me think it might be identical to stock.

Trying to decide whether 3.5" on 37s makes sense in the future as well so I really want to be ahead of the vibration issue.

1996cc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR 392
I have this axle with a 3.5” MC lift, castor set at 7°, Tom Woods drivelines, angles are good. No vibrations. I think it is different than stock, but I’m not 100%.

Some Random Guy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JL Sport, 2022 Ford Mustang
Occupation
Comptroller
Does anyone know the pinion/caster ratio for this axle or if there's any differences at all from stock? I've got this axle + 2.5" lift but still using the stock driveshaft. I'm worried I'll run into the vibration issue with an aftermarket driveshaft but can't determine whether this is specced exactly like stock or the pinion is at a more favorable angle. The pumpkin certainly seems to be angled differently but the lack of info saying otherwise in the specs makes me think it might be identical to stock.

Trying to decide whether 3.5" on 37s makes sense in the future as well so I really want to be ahead of the vibration issue.
Mine is not caster corrected. It's the normal 6 degrees.

Sponsored

Some Random Guy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JL Sport, 2022 Ford Mustang
Occupation
Comptroller
@intentsrig , dumb question. What are the plastic washer type things that come in the box? I didn't recognize them, but I've also never disassembled a front axle yet.

1996cc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR 392
Spacers to help guide the axle shaft so you do not destroy the axle seal if you get careless.
Interesting. I had no idea. I guess I can take them out of my glovebox now, lol. Didn’t know that was even a thing…

4xFUN

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 2-door Rubi. 2023 RAM TRX
Interesting. I had no idea. I guess I can take them out of my glovebox now, lol. Didn’t know that was even a thing…

They are not necessary but helpful, they come with the Jeep Performance branded UD44's but did not come with my Dana branded UD44.

Reminded me though that I have a few Jeep surplus parts to get out of my garage including a brand new in crate Jeep Performance UD44 with 4.88's...

1996cc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR 392
They are not necessary but helpful, they come with the Jeep Performance branded UD44's but did not come with my Dana branded UD44.
Hmm, I bought mine direct from the local Dana distributor. Didn’t have anything to do with the Jeep dealer…
Sponsored