First Name
Jeramiah
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport 2.0T w/ eTorque
Occupation
Software Engineer
I’m looking to do this exact upgrade, I’m wondering what it ran you.. would love to do this before my summer trip.
Sponsored

OP
OP
intentsrig

intentsrig

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Sporticon
I’m looking to do this exact upgrade, I’m wondering what it ran you.. would love to do this before my summer trip.
About 4k for the axle from @Northridge4x4. They were able to beat summits price! I did get one of the first ones so the prices were a little different I think. I have seen them run nearly 5k or more from some vendors. Also, since I did the install myself not sure what labor would be.

chris4prez

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 JLUR
About to pull the trigger and I noticed the install manual states about using oem drag link and tie rod, 3rd party track bar and stabilizer are OK it states. Anyone know if issue will be had using steer smart setup with this? I’m running steer smart drag link and tie rod with fox ats stabilizer and rock krawler track bar.

OP
OP
intentsrig

intentsrig

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Sporticon
About to pull the trigger and I noticed the install manual states about using oem drag link and tie rod, 3rd party track bar and stabilizer are OK it states. Anyone know if issue will be had using steer smart setup with this? I’m running steer smart drag link and tie rod with fox ats stabilizer and rock krawler track bar.
Can’t say for sure but I know the synergy one works with the synergy steering dampener bracket. So I am not using the stock location for mounting steering dampener. Using a Rubicon drag link.

I could not use oem tie rod or drag link because the sport ones were too short.

I also use a metalcloak track bar that I had to grind down the end joint outer material because it was too big to fit into the beeft brackets on the UD44.

ChattVol

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU 4 door
Can’t say for sure but I know the synergy one works with the synergy steering dampener bracket. So I am not using the stock location for mounting steering dampener. Using a Rubicon drag link.

I could not use oem tie rod or drag link because the sport ones were too short.

I also use a metalcloak track bar that I had to grind down the end joint outer material because it was too big to fit into the beeft brackets on the UD44.
FYI....the rubicon draglink is the same size as the sport draglink. However, the rubicon tie rod is longer than the sport tie rod. I confirmed this with dana and ran the sport draglink/rubicon tie rod with a rubicon axle for a year...bolted on and worked great.

The MetalCloak trackbar is also too big to fit into stock axle brackets. Metalcloak instructions call for enlarging the lower hole on the bottom of the axle bracket to fit their trackbar. I used a dremel to enlarge the hole and it was tedious. I previously ran a Rock Krawler trackbar and it fit in the stock axle brackets fine. It would be helpful if @Metalcloak would re-engineer their trackbar so it bolts up without requiring modification.

Sponsored

Fire Burns

First Name
Fire
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR 3.6; 2006 Chrysler 300c SRT-8
FYI....the rubicon draglink is the same size as the sport draglink. However, the rubicon tie rod is longer than the sport tie rod. I confirmed this with dana and ran the sport draglink/rubicon tie rod with a rubicon axle for a year...bolted on and worked great.

The MetalCloak trackbar is also too big to fit into stock axle brackets. Metalcloak instructions call for enlarging the lower hole on the bottom of the axle bracket to fit their trackbar. I used a dremel to enlarge the hole and it was tedious. I previously ran a Rock Krawler trackbar and it fit in the stock axle brackets fine. It would be helpful if @Metalcloak would re-engineer their trackbar so it bolts up without requiring modification.
Yeah, I just picked up a used @Metalcloak trackbar and I do love their gear. Still, I can't help but wonder if what they gain in beef and stiffness in their large trackbar end link isn't lost in a potentially weaker (modified) bracket. Even now when I look at my yet untouched bracket I think it looks pretty weak considering the job it has to do. I know plenty of folks with an all @Metalcloak suspension, minus their front trackbar because they don't want to do the mod.

Would love to hear @Metalcloak's take on this.

OP
OP
intentsrig

intentsrig

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Sporticon
I grinded off material from the trackbar end. Did nothing with the bracket.

Fire Burns

First Name
Fire
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I grinded off material from the trackbar end. Did nothing with the bracket.
How much did you have to remove before it would fit? Any pics? I would say I am definitely leaning this way since I only paid $100 for it.

Last edited:

ChattVol

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU 4 door
Yeah, I just picked up a used @Metalcloak trackbar and I do love their gear. Still, I can't help but wonder if what they gain in beef and stiffness in their large trackbar end link isn't lost in a potentially weaker (modified) bracket. Even now when I look at my yet untouched bracket I think it looks pretty weak considering the job it has to do. I know plenty of folks with an all @Metalcloak suspension, minus their front trackbar because they don't want to do the mod.

Would love to hear @Metalcloak's take on this.
I took off my Rock Krawler trackbar to swap to Metalcloak's trackbar. The Rock Krawler was just as big and felt heavier. I also switched from RK LCA's to Metalcloak LCA's and the RK arms were noticeably bigger in diameter and weighed several lbs more ea. I was surprised.

ChattVol

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU 4 door
How mu

How much did you have to remove before it would fit? Any pics? I would say I am definitely leaning this way since I only paid $100 for it.
Nice...I swapped bc I got tired of greasing and a friend offered it for $40.

Sponsored

Fire Burns

First Name
Fire
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Nice...I swapped bc I got tired of greasing and a friend offered it for $40.
Ohh… Great grab find for $40!

A few reasons I dig Metalcloak is the maintenance free aspects and easily replaced bushings, high flex bushings.

@intentsrig can also attest that its nice to support the local manufacturer. I work in Rancho Cordova, CA, about a 7 minute drive to their HQ.

OP
OP
intentsrig

intentsrig

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Sporticon
How mu

Shoot it’s hard to say. I had to trim it to fit into the stock axle and then again to make it fit on the UD 44 axle. The brackets are a lot thicker on the UD 44.
It didn’t take much the first time

On page 1 there is a picture of my buddy grinding down the joint end. Little from the sides of it and middle.

chris4prez

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 JLUR
If this only has two wire for the elocker, it looks like Z automotive now has a solution to fully integrate this and any 2 wire lockers into factory rubicon switches.

High Level Details excerpted from an email I received from Z Automotive which has more info then currently shown on the page:

FINALLY, a plug-and-play solution to aftermarket locker integration using FACTORY locker controls on Wrangler JL and Gladiators!

EASY INSTALLATION
One end of the adapter plugs into the 4 pin factory harness, providing the required signals to keep the Rubicon locker control logic satisfied. The other end is a 2 pin connector which will output 12 Volts to engage your E-Locker or Air Locker solenoid.
Learn How Easy It Is

USE YOUR FACTORY SWITCHES
Retain the factory locker switches, dash messages, warnings and will even set off the "service locker" message if your aftermarket locker is faulty or gets disconnected.
Buy Now

Use our optional Locker extension if you have a different mating connector or need to run the wires longer – usually needed for Air Locker installations. This gives a total reach from the factory locker location of over 7 1/2 feet.

SUPPORTS ALL ELECTRIC AND AIR LOCKERS !

scrape

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Fiat
If this only has two wire for the elocker, it looks like Z automotive now has a solution to fully integrate this and any 2 wire lockers into factory rubicon switches.

High Level Details excerpted from an email I received from Z Automotive which has more info then currently shown on the page:

FINALLY, a plug-and-play solution to aftermarket locker integration using FACTORY locker controls on Wrangler JL and Gladiators!

EASY INSTALLATION
One end of the adapter plugs into the 4 pin factory harness, providing the required signals to keep the Rubicon locker control logic satisfied. The other end is a 2 pin connector which will output 12 Volts to engage your E-Locker or Air Locker solenoid.
Learn How Easy It Is

USE YOUR FACTORY SWITCHES
Retain the factory locker switches, dash messages, warnings and will even set off the "service locker" message if your aftermarket locker is faulty or gets disconnected.
Buy Now

Use our optional Locker extension if you have a different mating connector or need to run the wires longer – usually needed for Air Locker installations. This gives a total reach from the factory locker location of over 7 1/2 feet.

SUPPORTS ALL ELECTRIC AND AIR LOCKERS !
You don't need that for a UD44 it is direct plug and play with the rubicon. You only need it for aftermarket lockers using the factory rubicon locker switches. Good product though I know some people have been waiting for this.

chris4prez

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 JLUR
You don't need that for a UD44 it is direct plug and play with the rubicon. You only need it for aftermarket lockers using the factory rubicon locker switches. Good product though I know some people have been waiting for this.
oh thanks I was under the impression it was only two wire. So the UD44 comes with everything to direct connect to rubicon switch or do you need to get the mopar sold version or is there a specific additional part needed? I’m about to pull the trigger.
Sponsored