UK Wrangler JL Venting Channel

lohr500

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Rubicon 2.2 MultiJet Diesel
The M/T tyres are interesting in the wet.
I tend to run in 4wd most of the time, especially when its raining or around the country roads around home.
And after many years driving Land Rovers on M/T type tyres, I'm aware of the need for caution on the bends and not making rapid course changes!!!
I suspect the extra power from the 2.0 litre petrol will make it even easier to get a wheel spinning :)
Sponsored

OP
OP
GeeBee

GeeBee

First Name
Gus
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Rubicon 2.0 GME
Occupation
Engineering Manager
The M/T tyres are interesting in the wet.
I tend to run in 4wd most of the time, especially when its raining or around the country roads around home.
And after many years driving Land Rovers on M/T type tyres, I'm aware of the need for caution on the bends and not making rapid course changes!!!
I suspect the extra power from the 2.0 litre petrol will make it even easier to get a wheel spinning :)
Aye, even with the new Goodrich A/T's I have to stick it into 4 Auto and drive with a light foot in the wet or I end up spinning the wheels coming out of every T-junction. I don't think the traction control system has the quickest of reaction times.

OP
OP
GeeBee

GeeBee

First Name
Gus
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Rubicon 2.0 GME
Occupation
Engineering Manager
Correct, since replacing the sensors, zero problems.

The Mopar approved fix was to replace ALL the sensors.

So your dealer should get them ordered ahead of time, and then get you in for one day.
My alarm still goes off unintentionally even after having the rear sensor replaced. FWIW I think I know exactly what it is that causes it - if there is something even vaguely loose in the rear luggage space that can move once the alarm is set it's enough to trip the hyper-sensitive sensor.

I had a spate of calls in the office this week saying that my alarm was going off in the staff car park. I was sure the boot space was empty but after the third episode I opened the back to check and lo and behold! a rogue empty plastic bag was hiding up in there. It must have been shuffling around (perhaps with the draft from closing the doors) because as soon as I removed it there we no more false alarms.

Such character, what an endearing technology! :LOL::LOL::LOL:

Vulpine

First Name
Marco
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler Rubicon 2019
Hi all, glad to be part of this community.
First post and it's a rant...not good huh? List of issues I had with my brand new 2 door 2018 Rubicon (on 2019 plates).
Don't get me wrong, I LOVE 'Rudy' my new Red Rubicon and I want to work through these issues until she becomes the wagon I was dreaming of...

1. Drivers side dash top was not clipped in properly.
2. After first drive, bunch of cables hanging down in the passenger foot well.
3. Rear headliner no stuck properly to roof by boot.
4. Alarm has gone off for no apparent reason twice in two days (although after reading your posts, it might have been a plastic bag expanding which caused it), Jury is out....
5. A strange piece of yellow plastic stuck between the glass and the black removable rear roof? Very odd.
6. Boot does not close well, needs a really big slam.
7. Bumper angle is slightly out of whack, looks like it is drooping one side, another odd one?
All this stuff is going to get looked at when it goes in, but it has made my first Jeep experience a slightly less than amazing one.

I will keep you posted as to the alarm as this seems to be an issue for lots of people.

lohr500

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Rubicon 2.2 MultiJet Diesel
Lets hope they can sort out your issues quickly and effectively Marco.
I'm glad that they aren't putting you off Rudy though.

The bunch of cables in the passenger foot well may be the bundle of connections for the Aux switches. I had a quick look for them on mine a few months ago but couldn't find them!!! As far as I can gather, there should be one bundle on the inside in the foot well area, and another somewhere close to the battery/fuse box. If they are the Aux wiring harness wires then I'd be interested to hear exactly where they fell down from so I can track them down in mine. I wanted to use the permanent 12v feed in the harness bundle for a dashcam power feed, but ended up running a cable back to the fuse box in the end.

Sponsored

Vulpine

First Name
Marco
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
All the below has been looked at by Thames Jeep in Slough where I got my Rubicon from. They did give great communication and loaned me another Rubicon while they were working on mine. Happy with them so far.

1. Drivers side dash top was not clipped in properly. SORTED - NEW CLIP
2. After first drive, bunch of cables hanging down in the passenger foot well. SORTED - TUCKED AWAY SWITCH LEADS
3. Rear headliner no stuck properly to roof by boot. SORTED - GLUED
4. Alarm has gone off for no apparent reason twice in two days (although after reading your posts, it might have been a plastic bag expanding which caused it), Jury is out.... NOT SORTED - SAID IT WAS A KNOWN ISSUE AND LOGGED IT WITH JEEP DIRECT, OPENED A CASE AND WILL LET ME KNOW WHEN THERE IS A FIX, ALTHOUGH IT DOES NOT SEEM TO HAVE GONE OFF RECENTLY....
5. A strange piece of yellow plastic stuck between the glass and the black removable rear roof? Very odd. SORTED - THEY SAID IT WAS LEFT OVER FROM THE TOOL USED TO FIX THE WINDOW IN PLACE.
6. Boot does not close well, needs a really big slam. SORTED - STRIKING PLATE ADJUSTED.
7. Bumper angle is slightly out of whack, looks like it is drooping one side, another odd one? - NOT SORTED - A CHARACTERISTIC OF THE VEHICLE APPARENTLY (BUT I CAN LIVE WITH THAT)

OP
OP
GeeBee

GeeBee

First Name
Gus
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Rubicon 2.0 GME
Occupation
Engineering Manager
My JLUR goes in for a replacement OEM trackbar this week to see if it helps with the squirrely steering. If not I think I'm going to cut my loses and start looking down the aftermarket route as Jeepey have started to offer RHD steering upgrade components. Has anyone else in the UK had issues with wandering steering? Mine's not unsafe but I'm convinced it could be better - it's just knackering on a long journey to provide the constant attention and adjustment that the current steering set-up demands.

Last edited:

Vulpine

First Name
Marco
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
My JLUR goes in for a replacement OEM trackbar this week to see if it helps with the squirrely steering. If not I think I'm going to cut my loses and start looking down the aftermarket route as Jeepey have started to offer RHD steering upgrade components. Has anyone else in the UK had issues with wandering steering? Mine's not unsafe but I'm convinced it could be better - it's just knackering on a long journey to provide the constant attention and adjustment that the current steering set-up demands. It takes the shine off an otherwise perfect vehicle for me.
Hi GeeBee,
Coming from a standard road car with low profile tires to the Rubicons was a steep learning curve and when the tires were new they were lively.
They have since calmed down and I find my steering does not require hardly any correction and re-correction when driving on motorways now,
However, visiting friends in Norfolk and driving their undulating roads at 50 mph was quite challenging as re-correction is required constantly, almost like a stiffer steering damper would be a bonus.
It might be just me, but I do love the loosey-goosey feeling you get when taking a roundabout on wet roads above 25mph, brings a smile to my face. :) . Best of luck in getting the steering sorted.

OP
OP
GeeBee

GeeBee

First Name
Gus
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Rubicon 2.0 GME
Occupation
Engineering Manager
Hi GeeBee,
Coming from a standard road car with low profile tires to the Rubicons was a steep learning curve and when the tires were new they were lively.
They have since calmed down and I find my steering does not require hardly any correction and re-correction when driving on motorways now,
However, visiting friends in Norfolk and driving their undulating roads at 50 mph was quite challenging as re-correction is required constantly, almost like a stiffer steering damper would be a bonus.
It might be just me, but I do love the loosey-goosey feeling you get when taking a roundabout on wet roads above 25mph, brings a smile to my face. :) . Best of luck in getting the steering sorted.
Yep completely agree, the electronically assisted steering is so light to the point where you're not sure if it's actually registering your input! I loved the super-heavy steering of my early LR Defenders for that reason, as you always felt like you were wrestling the vehicle around the bends the whole time. Physically knackering perhaps but plenty of feedback from what's going on at the wheels.

Dinks66

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL Rubicon
Occupation
offshore oil worker
Well mine has been in dock now for 3 weeks at Arnold Clark in Wigan (Ashton) awaiting parts. It has 3 things wrong with it being fixed under warranty and all well documented issues.

1 - Leak on passenger side footwell (it rains in)
2 - Stereo speaker buzz front drivers side
3 - Defective seat tilt forward latch.

They have fixed 2 of the problems apparently and are just waiting on a part from the seat from Italy. They seem to be quite a good dealership from what I have witnessed so far although it may have helped as Jeep customer services are on the case giving me regular updates. I will report back when I get any updates. Here's hoping everything goes smoothly and I get my car back fixed.

Sponsored

OP
OP
GeeBee

GeeBee

First Name
Gus
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Rubicon 2.0 GME
Occupation
Engineering Manager
So a quick update on the improved OEM track bar (Service Bulletin 02-003-19) that I had fitted a couple of weeks ago: I would say this has made an 60% improvement to the wandering steering that I was encountering on my late '18 JLUR.

Thankfully I've never had to deal with the death wobble or steering play that others on this forum are reporting, but the wandering steering was very apparent, especially on motorways where you'd expect any vehicle to hold a reasonably good line. If I was to try and describe it, my best attempt would be that the steering felt 'chewy' or connected by something spongey. The front wheels would follow the camber of the road (to be expected on solid axles) so you had to counter-steer to keep it going in the required direction BUT any slight bump or ripple in the road would temporarily unload the tension in the system, causing the Jeep to re-set its course slightly so you then had to steer in the opposite direction to bring it back in line - until the next bump or ripple. Repeat indefinitely until you are completely frazzled.

The new track bar has definitely improved the bump steer which I'd say is the main cause of the wandering. At a guess I'd say the stiffer bushings mean that for all but the biggest bumps the steering geometry returns back to the same position so there is far less sawing at the wheel needed to hold a steady line.

I've also invested in a new torque wrench and at the first opportunity I'm going to have a tinker under the front end to make sure all the steering linkage bolts and ball joints are still torqued to the correct spec as I'm sure they'll have loosened off as the vehicle is run in.

Attachments

Last edited:

UKJeep2018

First Name
Luke
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep JL Wrangler Sahara
Is it normal for the reversing camera to malfunction every now and then or is there a software fix for it?

Sometimes itā€™s just a black screen and other times there are no guidelines on the camera. I have checked to make sure the camera is connected and turn the vehicle off and on but it doesnā€™t resolve the issue. These issues crop up randomly and rarely though. Eventually it resolves itself.

As itā€™s very random and hard to replicate Iā€™m not sure how I can approach the dealer about this issue.

Rudolph Hart

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR GME Mojito!
Occupation
Semi retired
Is it normal for the reversing camera to malfunction every now and then or is there a software fix for it?

Sometimes itā€™s just a black screen and other times there are no guidelines on the camera. I have checked to make sure the camera is connected and turn the vehicle off and on but it doesnā€™t resolve the issue. These issues crop up randomly and rarely though. Eventually it resolves itself.

As itā€™s very random and hard to replicate Iā€™m not sure how I can approach the dealer about this issue.
Yes, common problem, always sorts itself out, so I donā€™t stress about it.

I figure the dealership wonā€™t know where to start to fix it so I think itā€™s best left as it is...

Plasmadaddy

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Overland. 2019 Harley Davidson CVO Road Glide.
After having tons of threads on this forum and others one of the things I did quite early on was too open up the fuse box and check that all fuses were seated properly.
Incredibly, I'd say that well over half of them were not clipped in properly.
Now I'm not saying this may or may not have been a problem but since doing it I've had zero issues with the camera disappearing or the alarm going off randomly etc.
Might be worth a shot and dealers really ought to be checking as part of PDI.

Rudolph Hart

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR GME Mojito!
Occupation
Semi retired
My fuses are all properly seated. I think the camera is just a bit ā€˜buggyā€™, I also have the turn cam activated (Tazer) and thatā€™s not 100% reliable either.
Sponsored