Sponsored

Uhaul won't rent a trailer if you have a soft top Jeep?

Rufus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 2 door JL Sport 3.6 V6
That's really awesome because I would think the opposite is true, if anything the added weight up high of the hard top would result in less stability, if only a very slight difference.
Correct, the CG would be higher if the hard top indeed weighs more than the soft top.
Sponsored

Wanted33

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Sting-Gray Sahara
Vehicle Showcase
I'm confused how the outcome here would have been different with a hard top, or more specifically how the soft top in this example allows you to understand Uhaul's policy?

You said the driver was not hurt, and I'm not reading that the trailer or the cargo actually came through the soft top?
It's not so much soft top vs hard top, or whether the cargo went into the vehicle. The fact that the wreck happened because of the trailer pushing the vehicle off the road is the main instance that would cause Uhaul to implement their policy. In today's atmosphere of lawsuits, it's the stupidity of people, and the willingness of lawyers to take ever little mistake to court that makes companies ere on the side of caution.

Wanted33

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Sting-Gray Sahara
Vehicle Showcase
Makes sense (sadly), but how would U-Haul be liable for any part of that? Maybe it's not smart to tow a trailer with a soft top (or no top), but is that U-Haul's responsibility? Is that much different than if I buy a trailer from Home Depot and crash while pulling it with a soft top? Are they then liable for damages/injuries? Maybe it's more of a policy of the insurance company for U-Haul that you pay the extra $5 (or whatever) for...
You know how it is today Rob. Person rents trailer, person hooks a big trailer to a Jeep. Person wrecks because they have no idea that a shorter, taller vehicle will act differently than a lower wider truck when pulling. Person calls lawyer, and says "Uhaul should have told me, it's Uhaul's fault". Lawyer that hasn't had a case in 6 months says, "You're damn right, let's sue Uhaul".

Last edited:

robaw

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU MOAB (MOJITO!), 2009 Honda CBR600RR
You know how it is today Rob. Person rents trailer, person hooks a big trailer to a Jeep. Person wrecks because they have no idea that a shorter, taller vehicle will act differently than a lower wider truck when pulling. Person calls lawyer, and says "Uhaul should have told me, it's Uhaul's fault". Lawyer that hasn't had a case in 6 moths says, "You're damn right, let's sue Uhaul".
Yeah, I know, like Metallica said - "Sad But True". I just think it's stupid! :angry:

Sponsored

Adventure.AS

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
Wrangler towing and flips caught from a dash cam camera 2 minutes 46 seconds
No weight distribution hitch (too little weight on the steering axle) and no anti-sway bars. You can see the trailer bump over an expansion joint in the roadway and trigger the trailer oscillation. This can happen to any rig not loaded correctly, especially at speeds over 60 mph. A modern Jeep with TSC (trailer sway control) would have had a better chance.

Last edited:

Wanted33

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Sting-Gray Sahara
Vehicle Showcase
Yeah, I know, like Metallica said - "Sad But True". I just think it's stupid! :angry:
I couldn't agree more Rob. It's irresponsible people like that that cause us to pay more for everything, because companies have to hire a cadre of lawyers to defend themselves from frivolous lawsuits. I think it's a plot as lawyers start the chit, and then other lawyers have to fight the chit.......ummmmm, I may be onto something there. ;) What this country needs is tort reform, being a no fault system. That way if someone brings a stupid lawsuit to court and loses, they pay. But, that won't happen because Congress is full of.......wait for it.........LAWYERS. :surprised:

Disclaimer: I'm sorry if anyone that reads this is a lawyer, and takes offense. But, you know it's true.

Sponsored

StAug Mike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL sport
I got the same story from Uhaul
I just went to Homedepot and rented a trailer.
I did mention that Uhaul would not rent it to me because I own a Jeep.
There response was "I dont care if you tow it with a bicycle as long as it has a hitch and lighting hook up."
Moral of the story, don't take no for an answer and shop around.

JLU74

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL
Vehicle Showcase
I just borrowed a buddies truck to pick up the trailer and then used the Jeep on the trip.

iznthesky

First Name
Edgar
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep JL Rubicon & 2004 Jeep TJ. Previously owned 1993 Cherokee, 1980 CJ5, & M151A2 while in the Military. For the love of Jeeps !
It's not so much soft top vs hard top, or whether the cargo went into the vehicle. The fact that the wreck happened because of the trailer pushing the vehicle off the road is the main instance that would cause Uhaul to implement their policy. In today's atmosphere of lawsuits, it's the stupidity of people, and the willingness of lawyers to take ever little mistake to court that makes companies ere on the side of caution.
Totally agree......here is a good example : at parades where it has ALWAYS has been a practice to toss candy to the children of all ages......it is NO longer permitted. Now we must give the candy out “by HAND”.

Attorneys are they really making life a better place?

iznthesky

First Name
Edgar
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep JL Rubicon & 2004 Jeep TJ. Previously owned 1993 Cherokee, 1980 CJ5, & M151A2 while in the Military. For the love of Jeeps !
As a retired Leo I can understand why. One of my calls was at a wreck where a 2 door soft top Jeep was pulling a small 2 wheeled trailer loaded with 2 x 4's etc. It wasn't overloaded at all. But a car in front of the Jeep pulled a stupid move by hitting their brakes suddenly, and turning right. The Jeep driver applied the brakes quickly, and the trailer pushed him off the road, and into a ditch. The soft top Jeep turned over, and the trailer continued it's push out of the ditch into the trees. Luckily the driver was not hurt. In today's litigious society (where people can be stupid, and blame it on someone else) U-Haul doesn't want to be liable for anything like that.
Are you trying to say that this would not have happened if it was ANY vehicle other than a Jeep ? You know good and well under similar circumstances the same would have happened to almost any other vehicle.
This has nothing to do with Jeep or whether it has a soft top or a hard top.
Uhaul’s policies are stupid.

Tygerman76

First Name
Keith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mini Cooper S Countryman, 2018 Mini Cooper S Hardtop, 2019 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara
I just picked up a trailer at Uhaul with my Sky one touch equipped Wrangler. They asked if it was a hard top and I said "YeP"! He never looked twice as he hooked up the trailer and checked the lights. I did get an email after placing the reservation that warned about wranglers. If given a hassle, I planned to argue it is a hardtop with a sunroof.

Towing Vehicle: 2019 Jeep Wrangler advisements

• All towing is subject to inspection. You will need to contact a U-Haul location to schedule a vehicle pre-tow inspection prior to the rental.
  • U-Haul policy prohibits sport utility vehicles from towing U-Haul equipment if the top, or any portion of the top, is removed. A full hard top must be in place. A canvas or cloth top or even a partial canvas or cloth top is not allowable. This policy does not apply to convertible sedans. If your towing vehicle fits this profile then it cannot pull U-Haul equipment.
  • You will need to have a U-Haul location verify your towing vehicle's hitch system before hooking up U-Haul equipment to this vehicle. Refer to the rating labels found on the towing vehicle's hitch, ball mount and ball to determine the maximum load weight carrying capabilities for your hitch system (FYI: When you look for this rating on these labels be sure that you refer to the maximum weight carrying rating and not the maximum weight distribution rating). See a local U-Haul center for assistance.
Sponsored