Skyman

First Name
Simon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
MY19 JL Rubicon
Hi Skyman

What method did you uses for removing these "nasty bits of plastic"?
Hi, just followed the Quadratec video. It really is that simple. An hour tops, taking my time and enjoying my music as I worked. Have not felt the need to cut and replace the removed panels.
Sponsored

Last edited:

mgroeger

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 2.0T, 1991 YJ rock crawler
Occupation
I make microchips for a living.
Vehicle Showcase
Hello everyone,

Just picked up Wrangler #6! I'd like to remove the plastic cover between the flare and the front bumper, but doing so seems to leave the back of the fog lights unprotected. Besides changing the entire bumper, any suggestions? It seems only the Sport model has these ugly plastic things!!!
Thanks in advance!
15566491198226095414280863968740.jpg
It's no big deal to have them exposed. We have an after market bumper and the lights are COMPLETELY exposed and have been submerged a few times and coated in mud and still work just fine.

Bee-Rad

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL Sport
I took off those ugly things as soon as I got mine and didn't worry about covering the back of the fog lights.

About 5000 miles later, plenty of water and mud, and haven't had any issues with the fog lights. I'm not worried about them.

Ma$$iveDebtAche

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
Just a different perspective...being a wanna be aero engineer, and having worked in aviation all my life, those things look functional to me. They're trying to keep the airflow directed around the front and not through the well. Does it work to reduce drag? I dunno. But they wouldn't make them with it if it didn't do anything. Maybe measured in tenths of a mpg at 100 mph. LOL.
I always thought they were more to comply with Europe's Pedestrian Safety Regulations. This includes not having large gaps in the front of vehicles, that a pedestrian can get caught in and be more severely injured. That's is why they are on all trim levels over there.

Sponsored

BillG

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Sting Gray JLUR / 15 Harley Tri glide / 50 Dodge Rat pickup
I was dead set on removing them back in December when I got my Jeep, but my husband said I should wait and not be hasty. Well, they have actually grown on me and now I'm glad I didn't trash them. Yes guys, my husband WAS RIGHT:like:

IMG_20190423_145022272_HDR.jpg
A broken clock is right twice a day

photowiz

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Sahara JLU
Occupation
newspaper and outdoor photographer
Vehicle Showcase
Incidentally, an OMT (oscillating multi tool) is the bomb diggity for cutting plastic. You can plunge cut, too, and control is great, it won't pull away from you.
I have a Dremmel one that works well.
HF sells a super inexpensive version, or Fein is at the other FAR END of the spectrum. I prefer my Milwaukee M12 simply because of the lack of a cord.
I have an OMT made by Dremmel that works really well.

roaniecowpony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 14 GMC 1500 CC All TERRAIN
Occupation
Retired Engineer
I was dead set on removing them back in December when I got my Jeep, but my husband said I should wait and not be hasty. Well, they have actually grown on me and now I'm glad I didn't trash them. Yes guys, my husband WAS RIGHT:like:

IMG_20190423_145022272_HDR.jpg
Wow! I can count the times my wife has told me that on one hand. LOL. And you documented it on the internet.

ZEN357

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT
Occupation
Auto Mechanic
Why would you want to remove them? They are obviously there for a reason. Just wondering?

Onyx Dragon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU, 1999 Xj, 2001 Trans Am
Vehicle Showcase
Just a different perspective...being a wanna be aero engineer, and having worked in aviation all my life, those things look functional to me. They're trying to keep the airflow directed around the front and not through the well. Does it work to reduce drag? I dunno. But they wouldn't make them with it if it didn't do anything. Maybe measured in tenths of a mpg at 100 mph. LOL.
Removing bumper caps in front of tires has been done since the XJs had them. It doesn't net you much of anything. The most it might do is protect your tire if something is kicked up and heading towards it.

Sponsored

TJ2018

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Punk'n JLUR; 2020 Silverado Trail Boss
Vehicle Showcase
On one hand those gap covers prevent the tires from slinging everything over the top bumper ends (that's a plus). But on the other hand they just don't look like they belong there to me. With all due respect to those who like them, it looks like a "this gap shouldn't be here ... let's fill it with this" sort of piece. Almost an afterthought. That 'bandaid' look just doesn't work for me.

iznthesky

First Name
Edgar
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep JL Rubicon & 2004 Jeep TJ. Previously owned 1993 Cherokee, 1980 CJ5, & M151A2 while in the Military. For the love of Jeeps !
Mark it and cut it off, then sand or file it smooth so it will still cover the inside of the lights. Throw the rest of it away.

Sol

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport, 2020 JL Willys
The bumper fillers reminded me of the CJ-10 and just had to go.
Warning: disturbing reference image below...

AB4CBA5B-DDCD-4C75-B7B8-56F81B0F3BBE.jpeg