First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ocean Blue 2018 Wrangler JL Unlimited Rubicon
Occupation
IT Director
Last night I entered an airport parking garage on my 2018 JLUR, thinking I was low enough to enter. Unfortunately, my top was open in the Sunrider position, which was just high enough to be an issue. Ugh! :headbang:There was a one-time impact to the metal bar alerting to the maximum height.

Today upon examining the top fully, as best as I can tell, I find only one issue. One piece of the frame was bent. The top can still sit in the sunder position and can be folded down completely. However, the bend causes the passenger side to be back too far so that I am unable to close the top.

The two images attached show the difference between the piece on each side.

The piece looks to be replaceable. But, where to get one? Are local dealers likely to be able to order parts for the top? Will Bestop have parts available?

Thoughts?

DriversSide_OK copy.jpg
PassengerSide_BENT copy.jpg
Sponsored

OP
OP
Hughesonthenet

Hughesonthenet

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
IT Director
I wonder if you can use a conduit pipe bender. Remove the end and put it in the bender and massage it straight. Its looks like a 1/2 or 3/4 bender will work. Just a thought as I bend conduit often.
That’s not a bad idea, at least until I’m able to replace it. I have no experience bending conduit. Any special tips in case I go that route?

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JL Rubi, '22 Prevost M H3-45,'01 Harley FatBoy
I wonder if you can use a conduit pipe bender. Remove the end and put it in the bender and massage it straight. Its looks like a 1/2 or 3/4 bender will work. Just a thought as I bend conduit often.
Agreed.. If it was bent (it was) it can be bent be back.

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JL Rubi, '22 Prevost M H3-45,'01 Harley FatBoy
That’s not a bad idea, at least until I’m able to replace it. I have no experience bending conduit. Any special tips in case I go that route?
Stop by at a local body shop. They will straighten it for you if you aren't up to the task. You can try calling BestTop and see if they can provide replacement.

Sponsored

islandtees

First Name
gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 rubicon jl
You may want to do what Rhinebeck01 suggests. Bending conduit needs some experience as you could make it worse. If you are replacing it anyway and have to wait for the part than I would give it a go. Bend slowly and very little increments to get it to work.

RussJeep1

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Sahara
Though they are up to their ears in producing product for FCA right now, perhaps Bestop, who posts here regularly, might be able to sell you new versions of the components you damaged, rather than you having to deal with FCA, as they make the device for FCA.

When a new vehicle is released, it's been my history that replacement parts are initially far less diversified by the auto maker: in other words to get (I speak in metaphors) "the tiny plastic valve cover for a tire from MOPAR (or any parts company), you have to buy 5 tires."

Over time parts tend to get broken down into sub parts that are sold individually--which by reaching out to Bestop, is a situation you might hope to achieve.

OP
OP
Hughesonthenet

Hughesonthenet

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
IT Director
Though they are up to their ears in producing product for FCA right now, perhaps Bestop, who posts here regularly, might be able to sell you new versions of the components you damaged, rather than you having to deal with FCA, as they make the device for FCA.

When a new vehicle is released, it's been my history that replacement parts are initially far less diversified by the auto maker: in other words to get (I speak in metaphors) "the tiny plastic valve cover for a tire from MOPAR (or any parts company), you have to buy 5 tires."

Over time parts tend to get broken down into sub parts that are sold individually--which by reaching out to Bestop, is a situation you might hope to achieve.
Unfortunately, in the reply I just received from Bestop about my issue, they said they can’t help. Here’s their reply:

“You will need to go back to your dealer to contact Chrysler for a replacement. The JL parts are only OEM so far so we can not get replacements for them.”

*heavy sigh*

Bubba33

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 jeep wrangler Sahara JL
I would bend it back with conduit bender. What do have to loose. If you broke it ,you could after it's straight slide a pipe over it or it to splice it.

JBall

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubi/Billet Silver
So sorry to hear about this Brian...I feel for you. Thanks so much for sharing so the rest of us will be aware-much appreciated! I hope you find a quick resolution either way. Sometimes @JeepCares monitors these types of issues here and can help you out.

Sponsored

Turfman

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F-150
Vehicle Showcase
So sorry to hear about this Brian...I feel for you. Thanks so much for sharing so the rest of us will be aware-much appreciated! I hope you find a quick resolution either way. Sometimes @JeepCares monitors these types of issues here and can help you out.
Your best bet is simply locating an electrician who bends pipe on a regular basis they would know how. If that is not an option find a plumbing supply store that bends pipe and ask who their most experienced employee is and let them do it. Home Depot and Lowe’s both sell pipe and cut and bend some. A place like Ace may be able to help also and even a hydraulic hose company who may make the large metal lines for big trucks.

Avoid muffler shops as they generally only bend larger pipe!

Good luck.

Mordin Solus

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLR
My sympathies :(

But as others said you should be able to find a place to fix ya up so no need to stress about it too much :)

Or I should say..... nothing to get bent out of shape over.

1SCgirl2

First Name
CORI
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLWU Sahara
We had a lock that wouldn’t disengage and bent one of those same bars - dealership replaced entire top not just the one part that seemed logical vs all of it - took a few days to find one
Good luck

JLUOZZYRUBICON

First Name
Levi
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU RUBICON WHITE. 1998 JEEP CHEROKEE AND MORE
Very disappointed. But glad to find this post. My wife has jeep right now and I think a lock got stuck on or she forced it when locked. And bent both sides now has a 4 inch gap in the front and dose not close and back dosent come up. Its done for. :( Anyone else can shed a light. Going to see what dealer says. Some dinky metal they use. Dammit!!!