Sponsored

Ugh šŸ¤¦Dreaded Safety Recall notice arrived HPFP

NewbJLUOwner

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Rubicon Diesel 2022
Vehicle Showcase
Received the dreaded letter today. Sad news.
20,500 wonderful miles so far. Most fun vehicle ive ever owned
Hope whatever fix they have in mind works.
Order date 1/22
Arrived 2/22
Love my Diesel
Best of luck to my fellow Eco-Diesel Jeepers šŸ‘šŸ™

Jeep Wrangler JL Ugh šŸ¤¦Dreaded Safety Recall notice arrived HPFP Screenshot_20230526_152556_Gallery
Sponsored

MoparFan

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ā€˜23 Rubicon 3.0, 1970 e bodies
Does it seem like nobody is really working on the solution to this defect at all? With so many vehicles affected and the potential dangers of crashing being noted it would seem that Jeep/Stellantis would be working on this quickly.

jav_eee

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
might get a 2018 JL Rubicon
Thereā€™s nothing they can do, really. 2011-new f250s have this same issue. Youā€™d think they wouldā€™ve fixed it after 10 years.

All you can do is buy good diesel at a station that sells a lot (so itā€™s always fresh). And donā€™t fill up while the tanker is dropping fuel.

Bohica

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLURD
Occupation
Retired
So are the new JT diesels getting the same "recalled" HPFP?
If so, can't imagine a class action not being filed.

Sponsored

Go See Do

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Unlimited Willys EcoDiesel
I agree with you, I really like my Diesel Wrangler. Itā€™s had a couple oil leaks, but itā€™s super fun to drive, both on and off road. I just try to buy regular diesel as much as possible and replace the fuel filter on schedule. So far no fuel system issues.

Overland Productions

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.offroadsupplyco.com
Vehicle(s)
21 JLURD
Vehicle Showcase
All you can do is buy good diesel at a station that sells a lot (so itā€™s always fresh). And donā€™t fill up while the tanker is dropping fuel.
I wouldnt say "all you can do"

That's not entirely accurate.

Anyone running diesel engines in the United States needs to use additive when filling up. These bosch cp4 pumps only have a 1% failure rate overseas. You could technically run additive and never replace this pump.

Once you replace the pump under recall for the previous bosch cp3 model you will still need to use additive because the diesel fuel in our country is trash. (the fuel lubricates the pump and injectors)

rickinAZ

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon EcoDiesel (11th Jeep)
Occupation
Retired CFO. Mayo Clinic volunteer.
I would guess that the likelihood of crashing is no more than if you simply ran out of fuel. And...it's arguably less risky than getting a flat while driving. I wouldn't let it worry me too much.

Hpc3

First Name
Hal
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler(s)
Received the dreaded letter today. Sad news.
20,500 wonderful miles so far. Most fun vehicle ive ever owned
Hope whatever fix they have in mind works.
Order date 1/22
Arrived 2/22
Love my Diesel
Best of luck to my fellow Eco-Diesel Jeepers šŸ‘šŸ™

Jeep Wrangler JL Ugh šŸ¤¦Dreaded Safety Recall notice arrived HPFP Screenshot_20230526_152556_Gallery
Just get it replaced. I just had my 3500 Ram swapped... my recall was from 2021 iirc though, took awhile for inventory to catch up. Net - Bosch went to a cheaper to manufacture design with the CP4 models and jeopardized reliability with fueling variances... well documented in all the heavy duty truck forums. Count your blessings Jeep is doing the replacement back to a CP3.x version.

OP
OP
NewbJLUOwner

NewbJLUOwner

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Rubicon Diesel 2022
Vehicle Showcase
I wouldnt say "all you can do"

That's not entirely accurate.

Anyone running diesel engines in the United States needs to use additive when filling up. These bosch cp4 pumps only have a 1% failure rate overseas. You could technically run additive and never replace this pump.

Once you replace the pump under recall for the previous bosch cp3 model you will still need to use additive because the diesel fuel in our country is trash. (the fuel lubricates the pump and injectors)
I've been using Hot Shots Diesel additive since first fill up.
Replaced fuel filter @ 10,000 miles
Trying to do what I can to maximize life
Thx šŸ‘

Sponsored

Overland Productions

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.offroadsupplyco.com
Vehicle(s)
21 JLURD
Vehicle Showcase
Same! I donā€™t know what the life expectancy is for the Gen 3 but it should surely surpass the first two versions.

I've been using Hot Shots Diesel additive since first fill up.
Replaced fuel filter @ 10,000 miles
Trying to do what I can to maximize life
Thx šŸ‘

ALeeL

First Name
Anthony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLURD
I currently have around 150k miles on my 2014 BMW 2.0L diesel and have had a HPFP recall on it's CP4.1 since 50k. BMW extended the warranties for these engines, but hardly anyone has had issues and most BMW owners in the forums are staunchly against using additives.

EDIT: I will also add, that they don't have a solution yet either and their recall has been out for years. They only seem to be fixing the few that have failed free of charge.

Last edited:

rickinAZ

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon EcoDiesel (11th Jeep)
Occupation
Retired CFO. Mayo Clinic volunteer.
I currently have around 150k miles on my 2014 BMW 2.0L diesel and have had a HPFP recall on it's CP4.1 since 50k. BMW extended the warranties for these engines, but hardly anyone has had issues and most BMW owners in the forums are staunchly against using additives.

EDIT: I will also add, that they don't have a solution yet either and their recall has been out for years. They only seem to be fixing the few that have failed free of charge.
The fuel pump recall seems to be the major strike against the Ecodiesel's reliability. Interesting that BMW owners have seemed to have shrugged it off. So...the sky didn't actually fall? Truth be told, the pump hasn't caused any real issues here other than angst fueled by non-owners.

Gorilla57

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR Mojito
Iā€™d like to know the failure rates of each engine running the CP4 fuel pump. Thatā€™s probably a huge task, but Iā€™m thinking the bigger engines have a higher failure rate due to the higher duty cycle.

ALeeL

First Name
Anthony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLURD
Iā€™d like to know the failure rates of each engine running the CP4 fuel pump. Thatā€™s probably a huge task, but Iā€™m thinking the bigger engines have a higher failure rate due to the higher duty cycle.
I know there have been people in the industry stating failure rates of 5-7%, but that only tells you half the story. You need to know how long or how many miles that 5-7% is. Is that 50k miles? 100k? 200k? If it was the later then that is decent per industry standards, but if it was the former then it is cause for concern.

This is why many manufacturers that have adopted six sigma generally use B10 or B50 life spans. For example, the Cummins 6.7L has a B10 of 250k miles and a B50 of 350k miles. That means that they expect 10% of their 6.7L engines across all duty cycles and applications will have a major failure at 250k and 50% at 350k miles. Of course, it will likely be the severe duty medium duty truck and bus applications that fail first followed by less severe applications like pickup trucks.

If someone can find how many miles the actual (not projected) B10 or B50 life of these pumps are then that would be ideal.
Sponsored

Last edited: