UConnect Won’t Power On After Speaker Upgrade

SM1

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Pending...
Hey all. Hoping someone has run into this before.

I just replaced the front speakers with Polk DB6501 components with the Metra JL-1014 pods. I ran the tweeters up to the top dash positions (Removing the stock speakers) and then used the knee panel connectors to run to the Polk crossovers. Before I reassembled the dash, I plugged in all of the connectors (hvac, start button, headlight switch), started the Jeep, and everything seems to be working EXCEPT the UConnect screen which doesn’t power on at all. I got the headlight dings but no radio sound and a black screen.

I tried plugging the stock dash speakers back in but that didn’t change anything.

I never disconnected the battery during the install if that’s relevant, but I don’t see why that would matter for speakers.

Any ideas?
Sponsored

Sting_NC_USA

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JL Unlimited Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Hey all. Hoping someone has run into this before.

I just replaced the front speakers with Polk DB6501 components with the Metra JL-1014 pods. I ran the tweeters up to the top dash positions (Removing the stock speakers) and then used the knee panel connectors to run to the Polk crossovers. Before I reassembled the dash, I plugged in all of the connectors (hvac, start button, headlight switch), started the Jeep, and everything seems to be working EXCEPT the UConnect screen which doesn’t power on at all. I got the headlight dings but no radio sound and a black screen.

I tried plugging the stock dash speakers back in but that didn’t change anything.

I never disconnected the battery during the install if that’s relevant, but I don’t see why that would matter for speakers.

Any ideas?
When you turn your Jeep on each day, UConnect conducts a check to see if the stock speaker's resistance is present. If the stock resistance isn't detected on any particular channel, that channel is disabled.

That's likely part of your issue.

Next, there's a small box on the back of your kick panel speaker. It has two modular plugs that plug into it. This box must have both of the plugs securely fastened, otherwise the UConnect will not power up properly.

That little box is what I'd recommend checking first. You don't have to take everything apart, but you do need to pop the panel directly under the steering wheel off in order to provide space to see that box. So, get a flashlight, pop that panel off and ensure both plugs are securely fastened to the small box mounted on the rear of your driver's side kick panel speaker pod.

Let us know if that helps to get the UConnect screen comes on after doing this. You may need to remove your keys from the Jeep, close the doors, lock them, and let it sit for about 10 minutes. This will allow the UConnect to boot fresh.

Oh, and about the actual sound coming from your speakers. When the UConnect shows up, please read a post I'd shared called "
Adding an Aftermarket Amp(s)" It addresses the resistance issue.

Good luck!

OP
OP

SM1

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Pending...
You’re a gentleman and a scholar. As soon as I read your post I realized I had forgotten that dumb little box on the back of the speaker pod. Worked like a charm. This group is amazing.

Sting_NC_USA

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Awesome, glad it worked!

OP
OP

SM1

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Pending...
Awesome, glad it worked!
As far as the resistor issue goes, this is step 1 on the way to adding the PAC preamp and an actual amp. I actually have all of the parts laying around but don’t necessarily want to leave my Jeep disassembled for too long. Although with the current situation I probably won’t need her too often...

Sting_NC_USA

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
As far as the resistor issue goes, this is step 1 on the way to adding the PAC preamp and an actual amp. I actually have all of the parts laying around but don’t necessarily want to leave my Jeep disassembled for too long. Although with the current situation I probably won’t need her too often...
OK, phew! You sound like you're definitely on the right track then. Since you're adding the PAC and an amp while using your stock speaker wiring, you'll need to use the pigtail that came with the PAC. The speaker wires will run out of your new amp and then back into that pigtail. You probably already knew that, but I thought I'd share just to be sure.

Have fun with it!
Sponsored