Sierra Nevada

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Red Rubi JL Unlimited
Jeep Wrangler JL Uconnect USB Media Player upload_2019-8-5_15-37-12

Here are the usb file formats supported by uconnect for playing music:

https://www.driveuconnect.com/content/dam/uconnect/system/2017/pdf/8.4-RA3.pdf

I can vouch for the following working Uconnect 4C Nav with 8.4" display regarding playing music with USB thumb drives. I used Windows Media Player to rip my music CDs to USB thumb drive:

1. 32 GB usb thumb drives (fat32 format via windows media player) work;
2. .wma (Windows Media Audio) sound/file format works … both lossy and lossless (better) format.;
3. .flac sound/file format works. .flac is the lossless (better than .mp3) version of .mp3 (lossy).

@JeepCares,

I sent you a PM about the following.

A. When the USB drive is plugged into either the Type C or A port to play music, there is never any music volume unless I manually increase or decrease the volume knob 1 click. Happens all the time.

B. When the USB drive is plugged into either the Type C or A port, uconnect media player recognizes the USB drive. After the car is turned off and then I come back to play music on USB drive, uconnect media player does not think the USB drive is connected. I have to unplug then re-plug in the USB drive for it to be recognized by the uconnect media player. Happens most of he time ... only once out of a dozen times was the inserted USB drive recognized by the media player from a cold start. 2 different USB drives were tried.

C. Which of the following is the JL's USB Type A connector:
1. USB2.0
2. USB3.0
3. USB3.1

D. Where can one find detail instructions on how to option the many unconnect features. There is nothing on Jeep.com nor driveuconnect.com nor owner's manual nor anything else I've searched for that has any detail info on this matter. I'm new to uconnect.

E. I have 314 songs on a USB drive. uconnect media player's browser function does not work (it's caught in an infinite loop saying "one moment") ... unconnect media player can't create folders for artist, album, song, genre for quick access to the 314 songs on the USB drive. These songs were ripped from Microsoft media player which does have these songs divided by artist, album and song.

The latest uconnect software was loaded per the VIN number.
Sponsored

Last edited:

kculp

First Name
KEN
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Sahara JLU
Occupation
Professor in the health sciences
Vehicle Showcase
I've occasionally noticed this as well, USB needing to be reinserted between driving sessions. Outs of the blue, it doesn't see the mp3 files. Very frustrating. Hopefully a firmware update will fix it.

OP
OP

Sierra Nevada

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Red Rubi JL Unlimited
Regarding the uconnect Media Player, anybody get the browse feature to work on USB music playlists? I've tried putting playlists generated by Windows Media Player (.m3u file), correcting any file paths in the playlist file and putting the playlist either in the USB's root directory or in each individual folder in the USB. So far, unconnect media player's browser button/function does not work.

I've found the following threads useful in understanding playlists, no solution yet.

1. http://www.hellcat.org/threads/how-to-create-playlists-for-uconnect.17868/
2. http://www.wranglerforum.com/f274/h...ive-2012-sport-s-130-res-uconnect-134157.html
3. http://jeepcherokeeclub.com/65-electronics-audio-lighting/38458-sd-card-playlist-5.html
4. http://jeepgarage.org/f155/song-folder-playlist-67481.html
5. http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f428/playlists-uconnect-5-0-a-2903794/

I did find out using USB2.0 flash/thumb drives makes uconnect media player unstable (resets ever so often). Newer USB3.0 thumb/flash drives are much more stable.

@JeepCares has no clue to what play lists are for uconnect based on their PM to me eluding to "mechanical issues" ... lol

bodam

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler
I have th Same issue, USB2 in th console won't read after the car has been turned off. Pisses me off that my iPod doesn't get read without unplugging and plugging it back it.

OP
OP

Sierra Nevada

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Red Rubi JL Unlimited
Here's new contacts from FCA for just JL owners. I'm going to try them and see if they have an 8 year old that can explain how to configure uconnect media player playlists on USB, as well as the technical specification of all the USB ports.

Dedicated Jeep Wrangler Customer Care Line
Phone: 1-866-362-2146
Email: [email protected]

Sponsored

OP
OP

Sierra Nevada

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Red Rubi JL Unlimited
Regarding USB music file and Playlist file formats.

Conclusion:

For those who use Windows Media Player to rip CDs to 32GB (max)/Fat32 formatted USB drives, use either WMA or MP3 music file format. I cannot verify any other format works, but definitely don't use .mov lossless music file format if you want to use the Browser button to select and play music from folders. FWIW,
use .m3u file format for the Playlist file format.

Background:

Using .mov Music File Format in USB Drive: Spent the last 2 wks debugging and confirming
.mov file format has no folder support from UMP (Uconnect Media Player). This means
the UMP will not sort .mov lossless music files into their folders from which one could play music selected from those folders ... does not work. UMP only plays .mov music files as part of one long sequence of music files ... in my case, that list was 364 songs long ... all these files were created from using Windows Media Player to rip many CDs to the USB drive.

Using .wma Music File Format in USB Drive: UMP does provide folder support for the .wma (Windows Media Audio ... all variations) music file format. This means music can be selected and played from folders (Artist, Album, Song, Genre, Playlists, Custom Folders). I did test and can confirm this ... I used .wma lossless music file format and .m3u Playlist file format. Jeep support said UMP does support MP3 file format for folder support. There may be other file formats that UMP recognizes for folder support.

Using .m3u Playlist File Format in USB Drive: UMP does support .m3u file format for Playlists. There may be other Playlist file formats supported by UMP.

Last edited:

bodam

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler
Someone translate that please

OP
OP

Sierra Nevada

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Red Rubi JL Unlimited
Figured out how to rip cds to usb drive (using Windows Media Player) and have the UMP (Uconnect Media Player) Browser recognize the folder structure. Now, the UMP's Browser will sort the music stored on the USB drive by folder, playlist, artist, album, genre and song. Not only that, voice cmds can be used to play music stored on the USB drive through the UMP. Tested and verified these cmds worked today:

1. "Play Playlist Deep Purple"
2. "Play Song Money"
3. "Play Song Holly Holy"
4. "Play Album Body Guard"
5. "Play Artist Elvis Presley"

Also, the issue of the USB drive not being recognized by UMP has pretty much gone away.

So why is it working now? (Recall, I was using the .wav lossless file format to digitize music from a CD to the USB drive using Windows Media Player.) Bottom line, the UMP will identify the folder structure used in the USB drive, if it can recognize the music file types inside the folders. UMP does not recognize the .wav music file type for folder support, even though the UMP can play .wav music files (but, only as a single list of songs) ... which is really strange and why it took 3 wks to figure this out. UMP will recognize .wma and .mp3 music files for folder and voice cmd support ... so only use those file formats to digitize CD songs to the USB drive via Windows Media Player.

If you don't understand file formats, open WMP with a CD drive already connected to the pc and CD inserted. Click on WMP's organize button, click on options, pick "Rip Music" tab, then click on the Windows Media Audio Lossless Pull Down Bar and you'll see all the file formats that the CD songs can be digitized to. FWIW, for File Name, pick Track Number and Song Title in that order, with Track Number as No. 1 priority and Song Title as number 2 priority.

Here is the hardware set up used. All hardware supported the faster transfer speed USB3.0 ports:

1. 32GB USB drive (Fat32 format), USB3.0;
2. Windows Media Player;
3. LG MODISC CD/Blu-Ray player, USB3.0;
4. Alienware Laptop PC, USB3.0

Last edited:
OP
OP

Sierra Nevada

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Red Rubi JL Unlimited
Today, I asked Jeep Unconnect Customer Service to fix the following 2 bugs:

1. Uconnect Media Player does not play music from a properly file formatted USB Drive without increasing or decreasing the volume knob 1 click.
2. Uconnect Media Player Browser does not support .wav music file type ... no folder support. The strange thing is UMP will play .wav music file type.

We'll see how long it will take for them to provide a solution.

OP
OP

Sierra Nevada

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Red Rubi JL Unlimited
Noticed over the last week if Auto Play is turned on (Audio Settings), USB drive is recognized almost all the time. See pic. Anyone else try this?

USB Auto Play.jpg

Sponsored

jeremyjeep

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
Any update on fixing the problem where the USB drive with music isn't recognized when starting the JL, and you have to unplug and replug it in, THEN it works? Sometimes it does work when first starting up, but most of the time it doesn't and I have to unplug and replug it in. Frustrating and contributes to distracted driving. I tried auto-play on, no difference.

OP
OP

Sierra Nevada

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Red Rubi JL Unlimited
I just open a case # through @JeepCares about this.

After Off Road Pages download, Auto Play and Uconnect reset no longer works.

Took my Red Rubi to dealership service over a week ago, they are still researching it. I'm not expecting an instantaneous solution to this ... weeks.

Eloib

First Name
Eloi
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Unlimited Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase
Well, at least it recognizes mp3. If you are memory conscious and want to pack as many tracks as possible you can always rip them at lower bit rates.

Ps. Thanks for the post and your debugging. I don’t use USBs to play music anymore, but I am sure lots of people will appreciate it.

Ibustem

First Name
JC
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase
Noticed over the last week if Auto Play is turned on (Audio Settings), USB drive is recognized almost all the time. See pic. Anyone else try this?

USB Auto Play.jpg
Just tried it. Works perfectly! Thanks.

desert runner

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR MetalCloak 2.5F/3.5R, LoD Bumper/Carrier.
Regarding USB music file and Playlist file formats.

Conclusion:

For those who use Windows Media Player to rip CDs to 32GB (max)/Fat32 formatted USB drives, use either WMA or MP3 music file format. I cannot verify any other format works, but definitely don't use .mov lossless music file format if you want to use the Browser button to select and play music from folders. FWIW,
use .m3u file format for the Playlist file format.

Background:

Using .mov Music File Format in USB Drive: Spent the last 2 wks debugging and confirming
.mov file format has no folder support from UMP (Uconnect Media Player). This means
the UMP will not sort .mov lossless music files into their folders from which one could play music selected from those folders ... does not work. UMP only plays .mov music files as part of one long sequence of music files ... in my case, that list was 364 songs long ... all these files were created from using Windows Media Player to rip many CDs to the USB drive.

Using .wma Music File Format in USB Drive: UMP does provide folder support for the .wma (Windows Media Audio ... all variations) music file format. This means music can be selected and played from folders (Artist, Album, Song, Genre, Playlists, Custom Folders). I did test and can confirm this ... I used .wma lossless music file format and .m3u Playlist file format. Jeep support said UMP does support MP3 file format for folder support. There may be other file formats that UMP recognizes for folder support.

Using .m3u Playlist File Format in USB Drive: UMP does support .m3u file format for Playlists. There may be other Playlist file formats supported by UMP.
I have trouble getting my m3u playlists recognized. Uconnect says "No items" when clicking on the Playlist button. I tried various combinations:

Playlist 1.m3u
Playlist 2.m3u
Music/artist1/album1/01 song.mp3
Music/artist1/album1/02 song.mp3
Music/artist1/album1/03 song.mp3

or

Playlist 1.m3u
Playlist 2.m3u
artist1/album1/01 song.mp3
artist1/album1/02 song.mp3
artist1/album1/03 song.mp3

Uconnect finds and plays my music, but not the playlists? What am I doing wrong?
Sponsored