UConnect Radio - Display Freezes and Glitches

yobiznitch

First Name
Denise
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubi
Anyone else having issues with the display freezing and glitching and getting the run around? Mine will freeze on while on back up camera and all other settings, not allowing you to access any of the controls, sound, temp, anything. Sometimes it will reset itself after a minute and be fine, other times it stays until you stop the vehicle. This week, it did it but blacked out HALF of my screen only, leaving the blacked out side unusable. It has been into the dealership 4 times, first 2 times they said it needed an update. Third time, they replaced the radio/display. Its in there again today and they said it's an update again, this time on the new system. I have been reading and see that there is a class-action lawsuit with other chrysler vehicles regarding the issues with U-connect, nothing specific to jeep yet. I feel like "update" is an easy cop-out by the dealership when they dont know what the issue is or if what I am reading about the Uconnect lawsuit is correct, there IS no fix for this problem and they just dont want to say it....
Sponsored

Snayte

First Name
Nathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL Sahara Hella Yella, 2017 Ram 1500 Longhorn
Anyone else having issues with the display freezing and glitching and getting the run around? Mine will freeze on while on back up camera and all other settings, not allowing you to access any of the controls, sound, temp, anything. Sometimes it will reset itself after a minute and be fine, other times it stays until you stop the vehicle. This week, it did it but blacked out HALF of my screen only, leaving the blacked out side unusable. It has been into the dealership 4 times, first 2 times they said it needed an update. Third time, they replaced the radio/display. Its in there again today and they said it's an update again, this time on the new system. I have been reading and see that there is a class-action lawsuit with other chrysler vehicles regarding the issues with U-connect, nothing specific to jeep yet. I feel like "update" is an easy cop-out by the dealership when they dont know what the issue is or if what I am reading about the Uconnect lawsuit is correct, there IS no fix for this problem and they just dont want to say it....
Wish I had better news but I have been going through most of this. My radio reboots almost every time we drive anywhere, at least once a day. Even with that features will randomly not work. I need to take it back in but that is such a waste of time. Last time they just said an update is coming.. well I got it and am still having problems.

utjmac

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JL Unlimited 392
Wish I had better news but I have been going through most of this. My radio reboots almost every time we drive anywhere, at least once a day. Even with that features will randomly not work. I need to take it back in but that is such a waste of time. Last time they just said an update is coming.. well I got it and am still having problems.
I have had mine for about 2 weeks, and had this happen a couple times. Oddly, it its just goes blank and reboots. Happened the first day I got it, and thought I may have just hit the power button, but the second time it happened I figure it may be a windows XP machine, sometimes it just needs to reboot.

Snayte

First Name
Nathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL Sahara Hella Yella, 2017 Ram 1500 Longhorn
I have had mine for about 2 weeks, and had this happen a couple times. Oddly, it its just goes blank and reboots. Happened the first day I got it, and thought I may have just hit the power button, but the second time it happened I figure it may be a windows XP machine, sometimes it just needs to reboot.
Mine was actually fine early on but right around a year of ownership it started having problems. I guess my radio expired with the SXM trial.

OP
OP

yobiznitch

First Name
Denise
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubi

It has been 4 days since they did their most recent "update" on mine and so far so good but it has taken a couple of weeks after past updates for it to start happening again so I am not holding my breath. I contacted the FCA to open up a file on my vehicle so that the continuous issues with my vehicle can be documented and tracked.

Sponsored

Jeepers3

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler(2), 2011 Jeep Wrangler
This has been happening to my 2019 JLUS since I got it. I am on my 3rd radio and numerous updates and it continues to happen. I have contacted FCA and have a case opened for it and have an appointment this week for the dealership to work with engineering to try to figure it out although I am not optimistic they will have any luck here is hoping.

utjmac

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JL Unlimited 392
This has been happening to my 2019 JLUS since I got it. I am on my 3rd radio and numerous updates and it continues to happen. I have contacted FCA and have a case opened for it and have an appointment this week for the dealership to work with engineering to try to figure it out although I am not optimistic they will have any luck here is hoping.
Suprisingly, the rebooting has stopped, but still have intermittent problems with my phone connecting/disconnecting during calls. Just seems to lose sound. Wish you luck with yours. I haven’t taken it in for service to report my issues yet, but sure I will in case they continue.

Jeepers3

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Suprisingly, the rebooting has stopped, but still have intermittent problems with my phone connecting/disconnecting during calls. Just seems to lose sound. Wish you luck with yours. I haven’t taken it in for service to report my issues yet, but sure I will in case they continue.
Thank you! Glad it has stopped for you. Still happening to me. I brought it in last week and they have ordered me a new radio (my 4th) and I am still not optimistic that will resolve the issue but keeping my fingers crossed.

rfm8os

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR, 2022 Cadillac CT-5 V
I have the intermittent freezing then rebooting. But no other issues like you described with the half black screen, etc. It never stays stuck and always reboots after a minute or two but sometimes it does freeze again and reboot right after though usually it's one and done. It's also very intermittent. Doesn't happen for a few weeks or happens a few times a day and then not for a while again. No rhyme or reason.

Dealer was no help with it. I showed them video of it rebooting but they claim they can't fix it if it doesn't happen when I bring it in. I think they reloaded software or whatever. I also have all the latest updates.

I had stopped connecting any phones into the USB ports. I deleted all the phone bluetooth profiles etc to eliminate bad iPhone cables or bluetooth / car play issues. Hasn't mattered.

viper88

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 JLR 2.0T (past), '22 JLR 3.6 (present)
This is a common problem with UConnect 4. I am surprised there is not a class action suite.

They had my '19 JLR with 8.4" for over a month trying to figure out what was wrong. They replaced 3 different head units. Jeep is replacing head units with rebuilt units. 2 of the head units were reconditioned. I don't think that is a good sign. They never did figure out what was wrong. I sold it before head unit #4.

Sponsored

Jeepers3

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I have the intermittent freezing then rebooting. But no other issues like you described with the half black screen, etc. It never stays stuck and always reboots after a minute or two but sometimes it does freeze again and reboot right after though usually it's one and done. It's also very intermittent. Doesn't happen for a few weeks or happens a few times a day and then not for a while again. No rhyme or reason.

Dealer was no help with it. I showed them video of it rebooting but they claim they can't fix it if it doesn't happen when I bring it in. I think they reloaded software or whatever. I also have all the latest updates.

I had stopped connecting any phones into the USB ports. I deleted all the phone bluetooth profiles etc to eliminate bad iPhone cables or bluetooth / car play issues. Hasn't mattered.
I am so unbelievably frustrated and annoyed with these radio issues. I have a case open (again) with FCA and am currently on my 4th radio with this still happening. The dealership wants to put in the 5th radio and FCA case manager is telling them they have to go through Engineering (which they did last time and still ordered a new radio the same exact one!) so I continue to have the same issues for over 2 years now. I get that this involves a 3rd party (radio manufacturer) but this is completely unfair and at this point I feel like Jeep should be embarrassed by how it has been handled.

rfm8os

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR, 2022 Cadillac CT-5 V
I am so unbelievably frustrated and annoyed with these radio issues. I have a case open (again) with FCA and am currently on my 4th radio with this still happening. The dealership wants to put in the 5th radio and FCA case manager is telling them they have to go through Engineering (which they did last time and still ordered a new radio the same exact one!) so I continue to have the same issues for over 2 years now. I get that this involves a 3rd party (radio manufacturer) but this is completely unfair and at this point I feel like Jeep should be embarrassed by how it has been handled.
It is infuriating for sure. I have let things slide for a bit but I am going to get on the phone with my dealer tomorrow and have them take another look.

MadMaxDad

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 4 Door Rubicon
I have a ‘19 Rubicon with the 8” Radio
It’s had problem from Day 1
Some days it will turn on but the screen doesn’t respond via touch screen or knobs - usually reboots after about a minute. Often that happens 3 or 4 times before it works correctly.
I have also had the backup camera stay on for the entire trip (until I turn the ignition off)
I’ve disabled BT and avoided plugging the phone into USB - nothing consistently makes the radio work.

The dealer said if i would leave the Jeep with them they would turn it on ‘once in a while’ and if they saw if malfunctioning - they’d try to fix. I showed them videos, that wasn’t enough proof.

After reading the posts on this topics - I can’t see much reason to have them swap the radio anyway - that doesn’t seem to help.

it’s beyond frustrating.

viper88

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 JLR 2.0T (past), '22 JLR 3.6 (present)
I have a ‘19 Rubicon with the 8” Radio
It’s had problem from Day 1
Some days it will turn on but the screen doesn’t respond via touch screen or knobs - usually reboots after about a minute. Often that happens 3 or 4 times before it works correctly.
I have also had the backup camera stay on for the entire trip (until I turn the ignition off)
I’ve disabled BT and avoided plugging the phone into USB - nothing consistently makes the radio work.

The dealer said if i would leave the Jeep with them they would turn it on ‘once in a while’ and if they saw if malfunctioning - they’d try to fix. I showed them videos, that wasn’t enough proof.

After reading the posts on this topics - I can’t see much reason to have them swap the radio anyway - that doesn’t seem to help.

it’s beyond frustrating.
I had a '19 JLR 8.4" also. FCA knows about the problem. I honestly think is is software related. UConnect4 sucks. The dealer replaced my head unit 3 times and the problem still was not fixed.

OldGuyNewJeep

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL, 2016 Yukon XL
I had a '19 JLR 8.4" also. FCA knows about the problem. I honestly think is is software related. UConnect4 sucks. The dealer replaced my head unit 3 times and the problem still was not fixed.
I concur that it is software. Version 39.6 fixed all of my issues
 only took 4 years!
Sponsored