Sponsored

UConnect - need subscription to connect my phone?

RevDen

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler
Hi everyone, while I've been driving JKs for decades, I'm about to get my first JL 2018.

I have a silly question about uConnect. Do I have to have a subscription in order to connect my phone to the Jeep?

RevDen
Sponsored

GATORB8

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLURe
To use the App to remote start/lock I think you need Sirius guardian. Just to use CarPlay when your driving, no.

Heimkehr

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU 2.0T
Hi everyone, while I've been driving JKs for decades, I'm about to get my first JL 2018.

I have a silly question about uConnect. Do I have to have a subscription in order to connect my phone to the Jeep?
There are presently three Uconnect models available for the JL-generation Wrangler, with ascending capabilities as the screen size increases. Which one do you intend for your vehicle?

By way of example, I've a straightforward Bluetooth connection between my Android phone and the Unconnect 3 (5" screen) in my JLU. No subscription or any other paid service is necessary.

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JL Rubi, '22 Prevost M H3-45,'01 Harley FatBoy
@RevDen

NO, no subscription needed. Your smartphone, your Wife's smartphone, will pair up (wireless) to that 2018 JL without any problem...

Also, using a USB cable, you will be able to use Android Auto or Car Play.... use Google Maps..

OP
OP
RevDen

RevDen

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler
@RevDen

NO, no subscription needed. Your smartphone, your Wife's smartphone, will pair up (wireless) to that 2018 JL without any problem...

Also, using a USB cable, you will be able to use Android Auto or Car Play.... use Google Maps..
great. I'm glad. thank you

Sponsored

Frank R.

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUS
If I may piggy-back a question onto this thread...

How do I get Android Auto to work? I read the AA directions online and it made it sound like all I needed to do was plug my phone in via USB - I did that and nothing changed. What am I missing? I have a 2018 JLUS with the 5" screen.

Thanks!

TimmH

First Name
Timm
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Wrangler Sahara 3.6 Auto
Vehicle Showcase
Make sure you have the Android Auto app on your phone, then you have to plug in the USB and start the app, or you can go into settings and have android auto boot up with bluetooth. This way when your phone connects to the radio via bluetooth, then plug in your USB, it will automatically start up Android Auto .

I have noticed that there is a lag sometimes in connections, and if you plug in the phone before the phone connects via bluetooth, AA may not always start up.

Frank R.

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUS
Thank you - I'll check it out once I can get the cover off the Jeep (no doors and the remnants of Ida hitting today).

Kilroy1941

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep gladiator 2020

RevDen
No but I beg you avoid the base radio at all costs. You will regret it, move up to a 7 or 8 if possible

Sponsored

Spank

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon, 2020 Dodge Challenger RT Scat Pack
If I may piggy-back a question onto this thread...

How do I get Android Auto to work? I read the AA directions online and it made it sound like all I needed to do was plug my phone in via USB - I did that and nothing changed. What am I missing? I have a 2018 JLUS with the 5" screen.

Thanks!
Unfortunately, Android Auto isn't supported on the 5" UConnect radio.

Joe98

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019, 2 door Sport S, Mojito!
You need to dowload to your phone, the app called android auto.

vjfromnj

First Name
VJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Unlimited Willys
I've ran into issues with Android auto in the past that were fixed by using a different cable (original cables work the best for some reason) and if that still doesn't work, try disconnecting the cable and restarting your phone then reconnect.

TimmH

First Name
Timm
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Wrangler Sahara 3.6 Auto
Vehicle Showcase
I've ran into issues with Android auto in the past that were fixed by using a different cable (original cables work the best for some reason) and if that still doesn't work, try disconnecting the cable and restarting your phone then reconnect.
This is true because there's 2 types of cables, a charging cable and a data/charging cable, you need a data cable for Android auto to work, so be leery when buying cheap cables on Amazon.
Sponsored