Uconnect Nav Is like a drunk giving me directions home

Cappy

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
none
One big problem I have with the built in Nav is I live on a cul de sac at the end of our street. Behind my house is about 30 yards of woods, then a one lane private road. We do not have a driveway to that road nor is my address on that private road.

When I select "Home" nav works fine until I get near home, then it insists that I get to my home by turning down that private road behind my house.

When I pass the private road to go to the proper entrance of my actual street I get recalculating, then do a U-Turn if possible about 10 times until I am in my driveway, then it says "welcome home".

To be fair, even Google maps thinks I should get to my home off of that private road, but once I pass it by it quickly recalculates and takes me home the proper way.

This is not a huge problem, once I am near my home I know how to get there so can simply turn off Nav. However, this make me wonder how accurate the Nav is in other situations where it needs to recalculate a new route, and will it take me the wrong way when I am in the middle of nowhere?

I'll probably just use google maps via Android Auto as that has served me well with my cherokee that had Uconnect less Nav. I thought it would be nice to not always have to plug in my phone to the Jeep to use navigation.

Anyone else give up on built in Nav and Use navigation via your phone?
Sponsored

jludave

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Unlimited Sport Altitude
Occupation
IT Manager
Vehicle Showcase
Clubs

Anyone else give up on built in Nav and Use navigation via your phone?
I use both. For short trips, I'll connect and use CarPlay. For longer trips (over 2 hours), I prefer to use the built in navigation. I don't like leaving my phone connected while running a navigation app for long periods of time. It causes the phone to get hot and (in my opinion) isn't good for the battery.

I can always pull over and check one of the navigation apps on my phone, if the built in nav doesn't seem to direct properly.

OP
OP
Cappy

Cappy

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
none
I use both. For short trips, I'll connect and use CarPlay. For longer trips (over 2 hours), I prefer to use the built in navigation. I don't like leaving my phone connected while running a navigation app for long periods of time. It causes the phone to get hot and (in my opinion) isn't good for the battery.

I can always pull over and check one of the navigation apps on my phone, if the built in nav doesn't seem to direct properly.
I am not worried about my phone battery - I used my Pixel 2 for 3 years on many long and short trips with my Cherokee Uconnect and battery still like new.

Wondering how does the Uconnect nav stack up to the Google maps nav?

jludave

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Unlimited Sport Altitude
Occupation
IT Manager
Vehicle Showcase
Clubs

Wondering how does the Uconnect nav stack up to the Google maps nav?
I've found that many people will tell you that built in nav is outdated and a waste of time.

Like I've said, I use the built-in nav and various nav apps via CarPlay. Personally, I like the Uconnect nav. I find that the only thing the built-in nav is missing is the real-time crowd sourced functionality of the phone apps

garyji

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 JK Sahara, 2021 JLU Willys
Google Maps and Car Play. I've found nothing better.

G.

OP
OP
Cappy

Cappy

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
none
Still testing the built in Nav. I tried putting a saved waypoint by pressing down at the start of my street. I was thinking I would then save that point as my "home", but it seems home can only be a street address.

However, now I can't remove that point I put on the map. Wherever I drive I have a line from my location to that point. Just spent a half hour in the Jeep trying to figure out how to remove that manual point on the map I saved.

One feature I like on the Nav is the speed limit warning. I have mine set an +12 over speed limit. If my foot gets heavy I get a verbal notification that I am speeding. Could save a ticket down the road.
Sponsored