Uconnect keeps crashing and rebooting

OP
OP

brow

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Black JLU
After being "OK" for quite some time, mine has started doing this again with a vengance! I guess decent timing since I have 10k left on my warranty. My jeep will be at the dealership everyday this happens until they can fix this pos system, it's crazy that this keeps happening. This will be like my 8th time in - and countless other times where I've just lived with it.
Sponsored

The Fixer

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mojito! JLS, 2018 Firecracker JLUSS
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Teacher
So, took my Jeep in a week ago. They’ve informed me today they’ve ordered the wrong usb parts. And the parts they need from factory are back ordered for 2-3 weeks...I really hope in addition to the USB ports they’re replacing the radio as well. And I hope to god they’re replacing the middle console port and not just the front one under the radio. I gave them my iPhone cord and multiple videos of the instances in every port. So, I will picking up my Jeep tomorrow and bringing it back in a month Bc it’s just been sitting at the dealership for a week is basically what they’re saying :) I’ll keep y’all updated, I want to be hopeful but idk if replacing the ports is gonna do the trick. This is turning into 4+ visits to the dealership.
I have the same issue with my 19 5" radio. I also tried pushing in every single fuse to make sure they're all seated, but the radio still restarted. At first I was wondering why the clock kept resetting back to 12. Guess I'm going to have to plug in a USB 12v thing instead of using the USB ports
Bringing this one back around again...I have the 5" Uconnect 3 radio in my '18 and recently started experiencing the same issues. My daughter has had an iPhone XR for a few years now, and we've had no issues with her phone playing music through the stereo when connected to the USB for at least the last year.

Then, about 2 weeks ago, my son connected his iPhone 11 to play music, and we got the POP! and system reset. It happened several times that day, so I decided to try and diagnose what's going on. So far, we've connected 3 different iPhones (two XRs and an 11), two different cables, both USB ports, and all cause a system restart.

The only item that HASN'T caused a reset is my ancient iPod. I literally drove with it for several hours this week connected to the port in the console with no reset event. Could it really be an iPhone issue?

Black Jeep Convertible

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.amazon.com
Vehicle(s)
'19 JLU Sport S 2.0T eTorque
Occupation
Amazon Influencer 😂
Bringing this one back around again...I have the 5" Uconnect 3 radio in my '18 and recently started experiencing the same issues. My daughter has had an iPhone XR for a few years now, and we've had no issues with her phone playing music through the stereo when connected to the USB for at least the last year.

Then, about 2 weeks ago, my son connected his iPhone 11 to play music, and we got the POP! and system reset. It happened several times that day, so I decided to try and diagnose what's going on. So far, we've connected 3 different iPhones (two XRs and an 11), two different cables, both USB ports, and all cause a system restart.

The only item that HASN'T caused a reset is my ancient iPod. I literally drove with it for several hours this week connected to the port in the console with no reset event. Could it really be an iPhone issue?
I ended up switching to a cheap 10" android radio and no restarts ever again https://amzn.to/3vIzY8t

Petey

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 jl sport manual
Anyone having this issue? Minimum couple times a day my uconnect freezes, then reboots itself. No rhyme or reason to it. Sometime I have car play going, other times I don't. sometime I get a blue screen.
I searched here and read about a constant reboot every three minutes or so - I had that happen to me once and may have been a system upgrade/push to the vehicle? Well that happened about a month ago, but I'm still experiencing the fairly consistent freeze/reboots on an almost daily basis.
Driving me nuts. Haven't had time to book it in to dealership - I had it in for same issue second month of ownership, about a year agony , they said they updated the system.
same here but nowhere the amount u mention.. it would happen about about once or twice a month when I first got the vehicle .. It would start with crackle pop sound and shut off . It hasn't done that in a while now . Reboot would take about half a minute with all presets saved so no other issues so far..Maybe I scared the gremlin out of the car after a several large meals @ Taco Bell

AnebuR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubicon + 2014 JK Sport S
Might be time to get the radio replaced. Recently, had the same thing start happening on my 8.4. It was also draining the battery if I let the Jeep sit a day or two without driving it. The theory was that there was a UConnect update pushed out that got borked and kept trying to reapply itself unsuccessfully. Replacing the radio under warranty fixed the issue.

Sponsored

The Fixer

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mojito! JLS, 2018 Firecracker JLUSS
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Teacher
I ended up switching to a cheap 10" android radio and no restarts ever again https://amzn.to/3vIzY8t
Whoa, looks like a decent radio, thanks for the link. In the description, they claim it works with the factory backup camera. How's your experience with that? And will the OEM steering wheel controls/USB ports and audio input jack still function with this radio?

Black Jeep Convertible

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.amazon.com
Vehicle(s)
'19 JLU Sport S 2.0T eTorque
Occupation
Amazon Influencer 😂
Whoa, looks like a decent radio, thanks for the link. In the description, they claim it works with the factory backup camera. How's your experience with that? And will the OEM steering wheel controls/USB ports and audio input jack still function with this radio?
Steering controls still work. Backup camera works but factory 8” users have told me my backup camera doesn’t look like their ultra HD 🤷‍♂️ looks pretty HD to me but then again I’m coming from the peasant 5”

TwoPutt

First Name
Kenny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR Rubicon
I've read lots of posts about this issue including this one. I too have a 2019 JLUR and about 6 months ago started having the blue screen, reboots, radio skipping. I've now had my Jeep in to address this 3 times. Previous two times checked wiring and replaced the back-up camera. Same issue shortly after leaving the dealer. The last time I had it in they replaced the entire camera harness and camera again. It took them 6 weeks to get that part in too. After they replaced the harness/camera again It worked without restarts for about a week and then I got the blue screen, lock-up, restarts again. I paid a lot of this Jeep and can't believe this is not resolved.

If my Jeep still wasn't under warranty I would go the Andriod radio route but I can't see spending $500+ dollars for a new radio when this thing is still under warranty. Does anyone have any other fixes short of taking it back in (yet again) to the dealer. I'm sure the next step will be to replace the entire radio but I've read on other forums that also doesn't fix it.

OldGuyNewJeep

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL, 2016 Yukon XL
The problems are software problems, not hardware problems. You guys getting your units replaced are just compounding your frustration.

I’m in no way defending Jeep. We need a fix. “Patch coming this summer” rhetoric is getting old…

Anyway, just throwing that out there. I would not bring my Jeep to the dealer for these issues. (I have made an NHTSA complaint, though.)

Tazer is great for forcing full reboots… things seem to behave for a week or two after a full reboot.

FWIW my 2018 had an acceptable level of bugs until 11/20. That’s when it started randomly rebooting itself and freezing. It got an OTA update a couple of months back that made Sirius favorites work, again, but I still have random reboots. Annoying!

My W.A.G. is that Sirius/XM pushed some change last November that UConnect doesn’t like. I am optimistic that the “coming real soon” UConnect update will be the fix we need.

kd5pff

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Rubicon
I can duplicate the crashing consistently by plugging some devices into the USB ports. It makes me feel like it's a hardware thing.
Maybe a voltage drop causing it? Or maybe it is a software thing as it tries to communicate with the device?

Sponsored

OldGuyNewJeep

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL, 2016 Yukon XL
I can duplicate the crashing consistently by plugging some devices into the USB ports. It makes me feel like it's a hardware thing.
Maybe a voltage drop causing it? Or maybe it is a software thing as it tries to communicate with the device?
Sure, some guys might have bonafide hardware issues. Most of us, however, do not.

Software is definitely involved when you plug in a device.

Since you have an easy to reproduce case, I might actually suffer through a dealer visit…

Log an NHTSA complaint, regardless. Takes 5 minutes. Safety concern is loss of backup camera as well as driver distraction.

JeepCares

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
Hello everyone,

Sorry to hear about the various concerns some of you have been experiencing with your Uconnect systems recently. If anyone decides to get this addressed by their dealer and would like additional support, please feel free to send our team a private message with more details about your concerns so that we can better assist you.

Thanks,

Courtney
Jeep Cares

Snayte

First Name
Nathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL Sahara Hella Yella, 2017 Ram 1500 Longhorn
I seem to only have this issue when the ESS is not working with the battery charging message. Anyone else having that?

kd5pff

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Rubicon
Mine only does it when some devices are plugged into the USB.
My son's tablet and my warn wireless winch controller cause the reboot everytime they get plugged in. It's super annoying.

dgcurtis

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Unlimited Rubicon
Add me to the list. I had it happen Monday. It started rebooting but stopped after about 3 minutes. It didn't do it again until this afternoon but this time is kept rebooting for the entire 56 minute drive.

After reading about everyone else's issue with this, I'm not hopeful that this will be fixed.
Sponsored