Sponsored

Uconnect keeps crashing and rebooting

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JL Rubi, '22 Prevost M H3-45,'01 Harley FatBoy
Thanks, I'll check that one specifically.

It only happens when my phone is plugged in and android auto is running.
If I leave my phone disconnected it has no issues.
Thats why I'm leaning towards a software issue.
My comment about F97 was made in reference to the check your fuse recommendation. I had not read what your JL's issue was. Your issue probably not fuse relate??

Curious, does your JL do the same with another phones versus your phone.
Sponsored

kd5pff

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Rubicon
No worries, I appreciate any help!

I only have one phone. I'll set my wife's up and try it next time she's in the jeep with me.

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
No worries, I appreciate any help!

I only have one phone. I'll set my wife's up and try it next time she's in the jeep with me.
Could be phone related... possibly.... Android versus iphone or vice versa. Firmware on phone... Could be many different things. Your JL have most current UConnect firmware.... is it a candidate for an update?

kd5pff

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Rubicon
Yeah that's why this sucks...
No telling what was updated and caused this.

It happened for a bit last year and randomly went away.
This time it's been lasting longer...

kd5pff

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Rubicon
Well I think I learned something tonight.
I was able to sort of duplicate the issue by plugging a second usb device into 1 of the 900 usb ports available in the JL.
If I plug and unplugged the USB the android auto would disconnect. Then occasionally the radio would crash reboot.
It never happened when I didn't have other USB devices plugged in.
I also used my wife's phone and got the same results.
So tomorrow I will drive to work and around with only my phone connected to the charger. If I'm right, it won't reboot again.
If I'm wrong I'll be pissed!

Once I prove this theory I'll dog into the possible causes. First being the JLs ability to power multiple devices. I figure a oscilloscope on the 5v line ought to show me what happens when more than one device is connected.
Or simply building a USB cable that doesn't use the data pins, so that I can strickly charge. Might let me see the same thing.

Sponsored

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Well I think I learned something tonight.
I was able to sort of duplicate the issue by plugging a second usb device into 1 of the 900 usb ports available in the JL.
If I plug and unplugged the USB the android auto would disconnect. Then occasionally the radio would crash reboot.
It never happened when I didn't have other USB devices plugged in.
I also used my wife's phone and got the same results.
So tomorrow I will drive to work and around with only my phone connected to the charger. If I'm right, it won't reboot again.
If I'm wrong I'll be pissed!

Once I prove this theory I'll dog into the possible causes. First being the JLs ability to power multiple devices. I figure a oscilloscope on the 5v line ought to show me what happens when more than one device is connected.
Or simply building a USB cable that doesn't use the data pins, so that I can strickly charge. Might let me see the same thing.
After posting earlier, I thought........ I should have told him to experiment with different cables as they can be the culprit sometimes.. Often if it works great for a weeks, etc., and suddenly does not it may be the cheapo cable went bad. Also, have you tried the USB connector inside of the center console. For whatever reason some report it is less problematic. I find this true also.

kd5pff

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Rubicon
Yeah, definitely tired different cables. I have also tired the built in c port and the regular USB port on the dash, but not the port on the inside of the center consol port.
I'll put that on the troubleshooting list.

Thanks!

First Name
Brandon James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sport S
I know I’m about a year or two late, but this is happening on my ‘19 Wrangler JLU! I’ve tried every single cable in my house, standard usb & c, multiple iPhones...middle console. Checked iOS and uconnect for updates, none. Anytime USB’s are in use, speakers pop, screen reboots and phone vibrates that it’s plugged in again, resets time to 12 and it goes on and on. I’ve resorted to not being able to plug my phone in and strictly using Bluetooth. I just got this car 2 weeks ago now and ofc there was no way to know test driving since there’s no cables. I wouldn’t have gotten this car if I knew I’d be having this issue with a year old car.
Took it to my dealer, they took it to Jeep, Jeep said they updated it which was surprising bc when I put in my VIN on the site it says “your 2019 vehicle is up to date” got it back two days ago and issue is still persisting. My dealer said if it happens again, Jeep wants to take my cords with the car. I only use Apple cords, this is not the cords. I know I sound like a spoiled brat, but I’d love for my basically first car, not to mention basically brand new, to just work and function like its supposed to. Super frustrating :-(

ODDs

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Hella Yella Sahara
I know I’m about a year or two late, but this is happening on my ‘19 Wrangler JLU! I’ve tried every single cable in my house, standard usb & c, multiple iPhones...middle console. Checked iOS and uconnect for updates, none. Anytime USB’s are in use, speakers pop, screen reboots and phone vibrates that it’s plugged in again, resets time to 12 and it goes on and on. I’ve resorted to not being able to plug my phone in and strictly using Bluetooth. I just got this car 2 weeks ago now and ofc there was no way to know test driving since there’s no cables. I wouldn’t have gotten this car if I knew I’d be having this issue with a year old car.
Took it to my dealer, they took it to Jeep, Jeep said they updated it which was surprising bc when I put in my VIN on the site it says “your 2019 vehicle is up to date” got it back two days ago and issue is still persisting. My dealer said if it happens again, Jeep wants to take my cords with the car. I only use Apple cords, this is not the cords. I know I sound like a spoiled brat, but I’d love for my basically first car, not to mention basically brand new, to just work and function like its supposed to. Super frustrating :-(
Our 2019 with the 8.4" has started continuously crashing whenever either of our iphones are connected. I've tried multiple cables with the multiple phones and it still happens. We tale it in Monday, but on the phone I got the impression that they are predisposed the the 'it's either your phone or your cable' answer.

Sponsored

First Name
Brandon James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Oooooh! I forgot to mention I have the POS Uconnect 3 5”. I honestly have yet to see anyone have problems with the other models of radios. I’ve seen ppl have gotten them replaced with the same one—I wouldn’t mind if Jeep gave me a credit and split the better radio with me. But now that I see yours doesn’t seem to be any different is just discouraging. Like they want to take all my fam’s cords just to debunk I’m not using gas station cords??? I’ve read that it’s an Apple/uconnect issue, which regardless is unacceptable. I could understand if my Jeep was 5-10 years old but it’s literally a year old and my phone ,although the iPhone 11, is even older! The unfortunate thing for me is I bought it from a used dealership but it’s still under factory warranty for 2k more miles so they take it in to Jeep for me, so I’m not personally heckling Jeep. In another thread I wrote, they better make this right bc that bronco ain’t lookin too bad

Our 2019 with the 8.4" has started continuously crashing whenever either of our iphones are connected. I've tried multiple cables with the multiple phones and it still happens. We tale it in Monday, but on the phone I got the impression that they are predisposed the the 'it's either your phone or your cable' answer.

kd5pff

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Rubicon
I have found something with my setup that caused the rebooting.
I have a warn platinum winch with the wireless remote.
Whenever I plug it in the USB ports to charge it the radio reboots repe, but but in a random pattern.
The usb port in the center consol has an led ight around it and when I plug the remote in there I can see the light around the USB blink off right before the screen reboot.
If I wiggle the USB it makes it happen.

I think for some reason this device is causing a short that reboots the system.

No other devices that I have tried have done this.

Now I just charge the remote with a USB power adapter for the 12v socket. Not a big deal, but I wish I didn't have a cord running into my center consol for the remote.

I suspect that the issue BrandonJames is seeing is the same thing but the power supply for the USB system is faulty or failing. I'd make jeep replace those components.

First Name
Brandon James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I have found something with my setup that caused the rebooting.
I have a warn platinum winch with the wireless remote.
Whenever I plug it in the USB ports to charge it the radio reboots repe, but but in a random pattern.
The usb port in the center consol has an led ight around it and when I plug the remote in there I can see the light around the USB blink off right before the screen reboot.
If I wiggle the USB it makes it happen.

I think for some reason this device is causing a short that reboots the system.

No other devices that I have tried have done this.

Now I just charge the remote with a USB power adapter for the 12v socket. Not a big deal, but I wish I didn't have a cord running into my center consol for the remote.

I suspect that the issue BrandonJames is seeing is the same thing but the power supply for the USB system is faulty or failing. I'd make jeep replace those components.
So, took my Jeep in a week ago. They’ve informed me today they’ve ordered the wrong usb parts. And the parts they need from factory are back ordered for 2-3 weeks...I really hope in addition to the USB ports they’re replacing the radio as well. And I hope to god they’re replacing the middle console port and not just the front one under the radio. I gave them my iPhone cord and multiple videos of the instances in every port. So, I will picking up my Jeep tomorrow and bringing it back in a month Bc it’s just been sitting at the dealership for a week is basically what they’re saying :) I’ll keep y’all updated, I want to be hopeful but idk if replacing the ports is gonna do the trick. This is turning into 4+ visits to the dealership.

Black Jeep Convertible

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.amazon.com
Vehicle(s)
'19 JLU Sport S 2.0T eTorque
Occupation
Amazon Influencer 😂
I have the same issue with my 19 5" radio. I also tried pushing in every single fuse to make sure they're all seated, but the radio still restarted. At first I was wondering why the clock kept resetting back to 12. Guess I'm going to have to plug in a USB 12v thing instead of using the USB ports

Bones

First Name
Pat
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara
After posting earlier, I thought........ I should have told him to experiment with different cables as they can be the culprit sometimes.. Often if it works great for a weeks, etc., and suddenly does not it may be the cheapo cable went bad. Also, have you tried the USB connector inside of the center console. For whatever reason some report it is less problematic. I find this true also.
Thanks! F97 was fix for me! So tired of the reboot. This is my 3rd radio replacement....not under warranty now so the self fix was helpful.
Sponsored