Sponsored

UConnect and Apple Car Play: Apple Maps/GPS ONLY

springglen

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL (soon)
I recently learned that with UConnect and Apple Carplay the only maps you will be offered on the beautiful large screen are either the built-in GPS or Apple Maps. Sadly, you won't be able to pull up Waze or Google Maps on the UConnect screen. For those of you using UConnect with AndriodAuto you will of course be able to view Waze and Google Maps right on the 8.4" screen, in addition to the built-in GPS. Having just purchased a new iPhone was saddened to hear this and has be considering not adding the technology package.
Sponsored

OP
OP

springglen

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL (soon)
True, but this is a limitation of Carplay. Same thing for any car, anywhere.
Correct, not a problem caused by Jeep (its an Apple issue), but one that has me reconsidering the upgrade to 8.4"
I use Google Maps or Waze for my travels. Can't stand Apple Maps and the built in GPS I have never found that good.
Interested if others have found the UConnect Map/GPS useful instead of Google/Waze

wesbowhunts

First Name
Wes
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
once a jailbreak is out you can tweak your phone to allow any app to work in carplay including waze.

rafaelsmith

First Name
Rafael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2008 JK X 2-DR
Correct, not a problem caused by Jeep (its an Apple issue), but one that has me reconsidering the upgrade to 8.4"
I use Google Maps or Waze for my travels. Can't stand Apple Maps and the built in GPS I have never found that good.
Interested if others have found the UConnect Map/GPS useful instead of Google/Waze

My wife's Renegade came with UConnect GPS and while it is useful...it is almost immediately at least a year outdated and there still are no updates for it after almost a year. It tends to heavily favor major interstates even if alternate routes calculate out to be shorter and/or faster.

Even if there were updates avail, I would not pay the $150.00 it usually cost because that would still be outdated and well stupid considering the "free" and better options available.

Looking forward to being able to use other apps like Google or Waze and forget the really outdated built in GPS tech car companies are still using. How Garmin is still operating like they do is amazing to me.

That said, I still want the 8.4 infotainment...I just wish I could skip the built in GPS part.

Sponsored

Dynomite1371

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, Granite, Steel bumper, Safety, Cold Weather, Tow package, Premium Alpine, Black Leather and Mopar "self draining" Mats
Occupation
Police Officer
Bad thing about Apple Car and Android whatever is when you plug in it takes control of your phone. Makes your phone a brick basically. I've been using the built-in Nav

simpleJL

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JLUR
I'd recommend using a magnetic mount and mount your phone to the dash with google maps or waze open on your phone. Use that for navigating.

Google Maps has offline maps you can download through the app itself - fantastic for offroading in areas where you don't have service.

Offline maps don't work through Android Auto currently - but I am sure they will in the future.

But without a Jailbreak - you will never have Google Maps or Waze on your Apple Carplay. And Apple maps are absolutely terrible compared to Google Maps.

Dynomite1371

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, Granite, Steel bumper, Safety, Cold Weather, Tow package, Premium Alpine, Black Leather and Mopar "self draining" Mats
Occupation
Police Officer
Cool I'm an Android guy. Could I just connect via Bluetooth and use waze you think? To avoid brick in in my phone?

tbill59

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Audi Q7; 2018 JLU Sport; 2011 Audi S4; 2014 Nissan Maxima
On the way home last night my U-Connect went haywire - rapid fire changing from radio to Sirius to Car Play almost like it was possessed....

Sponsored

rafaelsmith

First Name
Rafael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2008 JK X 2-DR
On the way home last night my U-Connect went haywire - rapid fire changing from radio to Sirius to Car Play almost like it was possessed....
The Uconnect in my wifes Renegade went nuts one time and changed everything to Italian language and started cycling thru screens on its own. Even the dash information screen was in Italian. I guess it was homesick =P

Shut it down...unplugged battery for an hour then reset everything and its been good ever since.

FCrackerJLRubi

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon, 2018 JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
I recently learned that with UConnect and Apple Carplay the only maps you will be offered on the beautiful large screen are either the built-in GPS or Apple Maps. Sadly, you won't be able to pull up Waze or Google Maps on the UConnect screen. For those of you using UConnect with AndriodAuto you will of course be able to view Waze and Google Maps right on the 8.4" screen, in addition to the built-in GPS. Having just purchased a new iPhone was saddened to hear this and has be considering not adding the technology package.
add the package.....trust me....your Jeep will be around a lot longer than your phone.....dont let a phone (an outdated iphone at that) make that decision for you!

Beowulf

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler Rubicon Unlimited
I want to know how to view Gaia. That way I can have all the downloaded tools up on the big screen.

JLU jax

First Name
Brett
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU
Mine is doing the same thing since Tuesday (very intermediate) dealer has had it all day and tech has been on phone with corporate trying to figure it out. They are keeping it tonight. I have posted the issue to the problem forum. I’m glad I’m not alone...

tbill59

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Audi Q7; 2018 JLU Sport; 2011 Audi S4; 2014 Nissan Maxima
Mine is doing the same thing since Tuesday (very intermediate) dealer has had it all day and tech has been on phone with corporate trying to figure it out. They are keeping it tonight. I have posted the issue to the problem forum. I’m glad I’m not alone...
Let us know what the issue/solution is. I haven’t had time to bring mine in yet. Another user suggested disconnecting power for an hour.
Sponsored