UConnect and Apple Car Play: Apple Maps/GPS ONLY

JLU jax

First Name
Brett
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU
Let us know what the issue/solution is. I haven’t had time to bring mine in yet. Another user suggested disconnecting power for an hour.
They are keeping mine at least thru Monday. The dealership gave me a convertible mustang to drive. The engineers at corporate were on the phone with the tech in jax all day today and are going to work on a Saturday. Apparently mine is the first one they have seen it in and they think it may be a software issue. I told them about your post. They have tried all the normal reset procedures.
Sponsored

techieanalyst

First Name
EC
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon (Only missing Proxy) / 2019 Ram 1500 Limited 6.4" Box w/eTorque
Occupation
Engineer
That’s not a Uconnect limitation.....Apple hasn’t approved google or waze for CarPlay, only their own. They will approve someday. On my new 2018 F150 it’s the same, Android supports other stuff

JeepFLgirl

First Name
Laurin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jl rubicon
I want to know how to view Gaia. That way I can have all the downloaded tools up on the big screen.

Hello, mine is doing something very similar. The radio icon on the bottom left corner keeps flashing and it keeps changing from
xm, To FM to Am. It also won’t let me turn off the screen. Screen seems to also be getting hot. Jeep was not in the sun or the tops off when this is happening. If I turn the car off and then back on sometimes it fixes the issue. Very frustrating

techieanalyst

First Name
EC
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon (Only missing Proxy) / 2019 Ram 1500 Limited 6.4" Box w/eTorque
Occupation
Engineer
On Apple Carplay, only Apple Maps is currently approved, again has nothing to do with FIAT or Jeep or a Uconnect Limitation, Apple simply wont approve other apps for no reason other than it's apple, and they do stuff like that.

8'4" screen?

JLU jax

First Name
Brett
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU
Hello, mine is doing something very similar. The radio icon on the bottom left corner keeps flashing and it keeps changing from
xm, To FM to Am. It also won’t let me turn off the screen. Screen seems to also be getting hot. Jeep was not in the sun or the tops off when this is happening. If I turn the car off and then back on sometimes it fixes the issue. Very frustrating
I posted a video in the issues compilation sticky of what mine is doing and it sounds very similar. Corporate has ordered me a whole new unit and it supposed to be installed tomorrow. Tell your dealer that there is a star report with corporate on the problem.

Sponsored

JMSJR

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara
Does anyone have any updates on the Apple Maps location problem as others have referenced?The starting destination when I connect the phone is a destination I was at a month ago and I can’t seem to reset it. It assumes I am at that location when it gives directions to the new location even though I am 60 miles away. It isn’t the phone because I just got a new one and it’s doing the same thing.

smithrd65

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon Unlimited JL. BMW Z4 35is, Tesla Model X90D, Chevy 2500 LTZ
That's the problem with APPLE, Samsung phones work great in my Rubicon 8.4 Uconnect a perfect match.

Killed by Death

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sarge Green 2021 Rubicon 2 Door
Google Maps has offline maps you can download through the app itself - fantastic for offroading in areas where you don't have service.
Stupid question I know but how does Google Maps know where you are if there is no cell service? I understand downloading the offline maps part but how can guide if it doesn't know where you are?

UNC Rubicon

First Name
Bret
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Billet Silver JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
Stupid question I know but how does Google Maps know where you are if there is no cell service? I understand downloading the offline maps part but how can guide if it doesn't know where you are?
Google Maps uses GPS (global positioning system) satellites to determine your location which doesn't require cell towers/service.

Sponsored

blueshirtz11

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 GMC Envoy, 1997 Pontiac Grand Prix, *2018 JL 2 Door Rubicon*
Occupation
Dentist
This may be a stupid question, but I like using Waze, so I like to have it run in the background. But when I’m playing the radio, and waze says a direction, my Uconnect defaults right back to “media”, and I have to hit the radio icon to get it to play radio again. Is this normal/is there a way I can prevent this from happening?
*please excuse my ignorance, I’m new to the “new vehicle” world

MikeinMD

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1968 Mustang Convertible, 2003 Z71 Suburban, 2018 JLU Sahara
Does anyone have any updates on the Apple Maps location problem as others have referenced?The starting destination when I connect the phone is a destination I was at a month ago and I can’t seem to reset it. It assumes I am at that location when it gives directions to the new location even though I am 60 miles away. It isn’t the phone because I just got a new one and it’s doing the same thing.
@JeepCares
I have the same problem intermittently. I am on Apple, but when it happens, it is a direct result of plugging in and happens on Waze, Apple Maps, and Google Maps. I recently did a UConnect reset, however, it has resurfaced since then.

dudemind

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL Rubicon
FYI, Apple has already announced that they're going to be allowing Google Maps and Waze via CarPlay. Now I'm just eagerly counting down until they implement -- I believe they said with iOS 12.

Sgt Beavis

First Name
Rick and Miyako
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler JL Unlimited Sport S
Occupation
The Man, The Myth, The Legend. In my own mind.
Vehicle Showcase