Sponsored

Uconnect 8.4" upgrade Customer Service saga...

ndross475

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara
Vehicle Showcase
I thought I would share this more for the amusement and because I have the time.

Recently acquired a NeUsed 2018 JLU Sahara. First thing I noticed of course is CarPlay doesn't work on any of the USBs so I sniffed around the forum and found the Uconnect update instructions.

My Vin is due for an update... however... the instructions say "if you aren't experiencing any of these problems don't update"...:movember:

So I have to go to the dealer to pickup the soft-top they ordered and I pop in Service to ask what they think, they of course offer to schedule an appt. but I thought if its just a USB update, it would be easier for me to do it myself.... Clue key words "I thought"...

So I read a couple of threads, watch a YouTube video and read the instructions... Maybe in my haste I missed something but it doesn't work...

Thinking that my Mac formatted ExFat USB is the prob I slide over to a windows machine and format and try NTFS format... Doesn't work....

So I called Uconnect last night, and was told I had a 20 min hold so I declined... tried again this a.m. and got a human.... While in the vehicle I explain my problem and was asked....

"is this a NEW usb?" I said no, but it has been formatted.... "you need a NEW Usb, it can never have been used...." I was told.

I explained politely that I in no way believed that and could they please check that information out.... Upon returning I was asked " What Brand of usb was I using..." I said SanDisk... She then said that's the problem.. Uconnect doesn't recognize SanDisk or PNY drives... only Kingston...

I again stated that I in no way believed that, and didn't see that anywhere in the instructions but I would comply for simplicity sake... I asked as to the process once I acquired a Kingston drive and she agreed with all the instructions I had.

I will update this when I complete the update. (currently formatting and installing on a Samsung drive, I don't have a Kingston handy.... ) we'll see about Samsung.... This has become more of a mission now...
Sponsored

orbpurple

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sport S
Occupation
IT Administrator
I am following this just because the whole "it only works with Kingston drives" sounds like a load of crap! Good luck with this and keep us updated!

OP
OP

ndross475

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara
Vehicle Showcase
So trying the Samsung Drive didn't work either.... So being a tenacious bastard I sat in the car and started down the Factory Reset path....thinking maybe this thing isn't seeing the USB ports which is why the drive and CarPlay aren't working.....

I found the "Dealer Access". Simultaneous pressing front defog and drive temp cold and driver temp hot at the same time.... Not before spending a good deal of time trying the hot / cold no defog and the steering wheel methods... apparently those methods "used" to work....

Nothing looked like a reset option... all the reinstall from media options were "grayed" out... not sure if thats a dealer trick... Made the first available appt with the dealer for Fri. a.m. but am continuing to try and figure this out....

On a side note, I was getting a "nag" to renew Sirius.. So I called SiriusXM and let them know that I had just bought the vehicle and it had the Alpine option which states 1 year of Sirius stuff... She said the vehicle was on the dealer account and she could give me a 3mo trial. I said "do nothing,,, I will let the dealer handle it". She apparently deactivated SIRIUS now I have nothing but channels 0 / 1....

If Metra had a bezel out I think I would have bought a 5" and build my system from scratch..... I would have a hard time recommending Uconnect to anyone at this point...

orbpurple

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
IT Administrator
ndross.... what version is your radio saying your currently on?

Arterius2

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara 2.0L
I thought I would share this more for the amusement and because I have the time.

Recently acquired a NeUsed 2018 JLU Sahara. First thing I noticed of course is CarPlay doesn't work on any of the USBs so I sniffed around the forum and found the Uconnect update instructions.

My Vin is due for an update... however... the instructions say "if you aren't experiencing any of these problems don't update"...:movember:

So I have to go to the dealer to pickup the soft-top they ordered and I pop in Service to ask what they think, they of course offer to schedule an appt. but I thought if its just a USB update, it would be easier for me to do it myself.... Clue key words "I thought"...

So I read a couple of threads, watch a YouTube video and read the instructions... Maybe in my haste I missed something but it doesn't work...

Thinking that my Mac formatted ExFat USB is the prob I slide over to a windows machine and format and try NTFS format... Doesn't work....

So I called Uconnect last night, and was told I had a 20 min hold so I declined... tried again this a.m. and got a human.... While in the vehicle I explain my problem and was asked....

"is this a NEW usb?" I said no, but it has been formatted.... "you need a NEW Usb, it can never have been used...." I was told.

I explained politely that I in no way believed that and could they please check that information out.... Upon returning I was asked " What Brand of usb was I using..." I said SanDisk... She then said that's the problem.. Uconnect doesn't recognize SanDisk or PNY drives... only Kingston...

I again stated that I in no way believed that, and didn't see that anywhere in the instructions but I would comply for simplicity sake... I asked as to the process once I acquired a Kingston drive and she agreed with all the instructions I had.

I will update this when I complete the update. (currently formatting and installing on a Samsung drive, I don't have a Kingston handy.... ) we'll see about Samsung.... This has become more of a mission now...
Pull fuse F11 and F97 from your fuse box, that should resolve your issue.

Sponsored

OP
OP

ndross475

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara
Vehicle Showcase
Pull fuse F11 and F97 from your fuse box, that should resolve your issue.
I was probably playing in the fuse box when you posted this....:) No Luck:crying: Seems that USB 1 has no power / no CarPlay. USB 2 has power / charges but no CarPlay.

@orbpurple I don't remember off hand but when I put the VIN in Uconnect it shot me a download link so I am sure its old... and to complicate matters my previous ride had CarPlay and my phone is running latest IOS. which is awesome on CarPlay,, on the Pioneer it gives a nice split screen...

I have the soft top in the box in the rear so getting to USB3 isn't worth the hassle...

I have searched forum pretty good all the typical fixes, don't seem to work.. I am thinking that it may be a bad or loose USB connector. I read that somewhere. The fact that USB1 has no power suggests that, and since its out I can't update the firmware... which is probably why CarPlay isn't working on 2 because I have a later IOS. IF... I were guessing...

Friday is dealer day so I am throwing in the towel on this... Building a Hard Top cart tomorrow and installing the soft-top....

orbpurple

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
IT Administrator
ndross... let us know what the dealer found today. I am curious if it may have actually been the USB connector in the back of the radio or down on the center stack.

OP
OP

ndross475

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara
Vehicle Showcase
Update... dealer flashed the radio Friday and said it needed more work... made an apt w/ a loaner for Mon. a.m.
Sponsored