Sponsored

UConnect 8.4 touchscreen going crazy - dealer says just buy another

wired

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR Red with soft top
So my 2018 JLUR, almost 3 years old and UConnect 8.4 touchscreen just started going crazy like someone was constantly pressing multiple buttons without stopping. Makes it totally unusable. Dealer says, no problem, we will sell you a new one. (Didn't know the price yet.) I paid a lot for a radio to last less than 3 years. (Also jumped the jeep off the past 2 days, Kept on trickle charger overnight, still wouldn't start. Guessing the starting battery is dead and will need to be replaced. Wonder what's next?
Sponsored

Attachments

JimmyZ

First Name
Jimmy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 2-Door JL Snazzberry Rubicon
Have you tried pulling the fuse for it? That might reset it? Also check all your fuses to ensure they are seated?

OP
OP
wired

wired

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Thanks @JimmyZ . Yeah, I tried the fuse. That would have been nice. Just found the replacement 8.4 is about $1600.00 Yikes

Cliebo

First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jl Sahara Unlimited
Have you tried pulling the fuse for it? That might reset it? Also check all your fuses to ensure they are seated?
which fuse # do you pull?

Sponsored

OP
OP
wired

wired

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
48,204 miles

JimmyZ

First Name
Jimmy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
which fuse # do you pull?
Dunno I don't have my Jeep yet lol... But I did electronics tech support for a while and troubleshooting 101 is reset that thing

JimmyZ

First Name
Jimmy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Thanks @JimmyZ . Yeah, I tried the fuse. That would have been nice. Just found the replacement 8.4 is about $1600.00 Yikes
I've seen them in the marketplace here for much less I believe

OP
OP
wired

wired

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
No way I'll buy another UConnect head unit. There are some good options out there now.

JimmyZ

First Name
Jimmy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
No way I'll buy another UConnect head unit. There are some good options out there now.
Agree but from what I've read most of them you have to make some sacrifices on features etc...

Sponsored

LSguy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Willys
If you replace the stereo go with the Heigh10. I would fix your electrical system first to make sure that its not a weird low or fluctuating voltage issue causing the problem. Also have your batteries and alternator tested before buying new, to make sure the 8.4 failing isn't causing a parasitic drain on the batteries.

JeepCares

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
So my 2018 JLUR, almost 3 years old and UConnect 8.4 touchscreen just started going crazy like someone was constantly pressing multiple buttons without stopping. Makes it totally unusable. Dealer says, no problem, we will sell you a new one. (Didn't know the price yet.) I paid a lot for a radio to last less than 3 years. (Also jumped the jeep off the past 2 days, Kept on trickle charger overnight, still wouldn't start. Guessing the starting battery is dead and will need to be replaced. Wonder what's next?
I'm very sorry to hear this. Have you had a case open for this concern? If not, I would be happy to help! Please send us a private message.

Alison
Jeep Cares

Vetteone

First Name
Allen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Grand Cherokee
I have same problem a 2018 Jeep Grand Cherokee, for 8.4 has gone nuts with radio changing stations by itself, heater and a/c move randomly up and down and different vents blowing, makes random phone calls while driving if you forget blue tooth is turned on the cell phone. Screen is also delaminating and all started last year but got worse, Covid restrictions didn't help. Software upgrade did not work.
There's 52000 miles on a $35000.00 jeep, I sold my 2015 jeep after three months due to shifter and trans problems to buy this one. please tell me there is a affordable fix available. Or do I have to go aftermarket?

OP
OP
wired

wired

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sorry, but no easy cheap fix. I went with the heigh10. Not cheap, but 1000 x better than Uconnect unit. Love it. (Not to mention wireless CarPlay with a cheap dongle

Arterius2

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara 2.0L
If your Jeep isn’t starting. Your issue may be with the battery. Start with that first. The JLs electronics do all sort of crazy things with a faulty battery. (It might not even be a uconnect issue)
Sponsored

Last edited: